GUN favorite 100 yard+ target with irons?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Today was one of those rare times I got to shoot my AR at like 120 yards. I forgot how frustrating I find it. Whats a good target to use at this range? The regular white and pale red sight in targets just doesn't show up well at that distance. If I'm shooting off a rest I feel like its way too hard where my point of aim really is? Maybe get something like a ~5" shoot n' see? Are my eyes just bad? Time to scope it? :big grin:

I also found out what flattened primers look like 1st hand :rofl:

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Oh and if you have say 40 or so handgun rounds that you need to pull that have been lightly put through the lee fcd...how bad is that going to be? :big grin:

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

what are you pulling with? Kinetic Hammer?

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yes, at least that'd be the goal :big grin:

5. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Our range has a bunch of 8" long 4x4s laying around you can line up across the top of the 100M rack. They offer a satisfying splinteration when they get hit.

[​IMG]

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

FYI I'd put cotton or some sort of padding in the end so when the bullet comes out the tip won't be damaged though if you pay attention you can get the bullet out far enough to remove it from the case with your fingers and keep powder from going everywhere. Hammer type pullers work but I find them to be awful when compared to the press mounted collet type.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yeah I've tried using it before without crimped rounds. I'll do a few and see how it goes but I know the urge will be to pitch them or keep them til I have a bench mounted press and can use a collet pullet.

I ran 20 rounds of wolf through today too just out of curiosity, ran in my ar fine. I don't plan to buy it but at least I know it works. Not the best grouping for sure :big grin:

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Hey look yar is online, get in here :big grin:

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

100 yards if you want to shoot with precision you need very good eyes (not me), or some magnification. If I just need to get 2 center hits on a man sized target I can do it at 1x and I'm sure iron sights would be fine too. If I'm trying to shoot a 1 moa group I'm using 4x. You don't need magnification but it sure helps.

As far as pulling 40 rounds I would just use a Kinetic Hammer. Don't do it on your cermaic tile floor (don't ask me how I know). Concrete or a dumb bell work well.

If your pulling a lot of bullets (like 100's or 1000's) than you definately need a collet puller. I use my 550 and just spend a day doing it. I'm lazy and wait till I have 500+ bullets to pull then do it in one shot. Really fucking sucks, not fun even with a collet puller and progressive press.

I just save the bullets. The stuff I pull is the stuff that did not case guage, went through the laundry, or has a backward primer. I just toss the powder and recycle the case (recycle for $$$ not reuse). The bullet is relegated to practice ammo but will still get to fly someday.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

oh and as far as targets I like paper plates with a shoot n c stuck to it for paper at 100 - 300 yards. Same size as the 8" steel plates I shoot at a match. With a spotting scope I'm able to see if I got a center hit with the shoot n c even out to 400.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Good to hear that its not that I just can't work the sights. I thought I'd try to cook up some 75gr loads and see which is most accurate but I think I'm going to ditch that idea unless I get magnified optics. I'd feel like I was wasting them at 50 yards :big grin:

While I'm sure the practical value of being able to hit man sized targets at 100 is there, its terribly unsatisfying to not be able to make neat little groups.

12. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

The range I frequent gives you NRA 25 yard pistol targets. If I remember correctly, the front sight post covers the entire black circle if not more at 100 yards.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I was shooting this [​IMG]

That 6x6" area seems impossible to center on at 100+ yards :big grin:

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Clay pigeons are fun, and cheap.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Makes measuring groups from 75gr loads really hard though :big grin:

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well not knowing your rifle and making some guesses...

If I were soybomb I would make some 75gr loads and zero at 50 yards. much shorter walk to check targets. If your ammo is going about 2750 fps (guess) and your sights are 2.5" above bore than you'll be zero'ed at 50 1/2" low at 100 yards, and a 1/2" low at 200 yards. That seems like a pretty workable zero for soybomb (if you didn't need to shoot out to 400 like yar).

[​IMG]

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

please stop talking in 3rd person.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I assume that velocity is from your 18" barrel? I was using a little lower number for my 16" barrel with my software.

I was figuring next trip I would zero with the 75 gr loads instead of the 55 gr and 62 gr stuff I've been using so far (although from the few shots I took with the heavier stuff today it doesn't look too terribly far off). Is it worth working up a load with 75gr over varget in .5 grain increments at 50 yards or will the difference be hard to see at that distance?

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

with a 16 I would just load hot and see what it does. Do you have access to a chrono

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I love that target for my 10/22 at 50 yards :hs:

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sadly no I've been thinking about getting one in the future, they seem like they could be handy for reloading. Any reason you say hot or is it just what works for you? I shoot off both 22.5 and 23gr loads today and they cycled just fine but I had my stand out at 120 yards so I have no real idea how well they grouped. I think I'ved loaded some samples through 25.5gr though that I can try next time

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm always looking to get more distance or punch out of my ammo. I pretty much do max loads for everything. I think it groups better too. I detest sissy loads.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:rofl: fair enough, any difference in brass life that you've noticed?

Soybomb learns why people say to get your load data from multiple sources:
    [​IMG]
    That was my starting load.

24. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

10mm is something only the gods use :eek5:

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I get a little over pressure, a little bit of primer flow. Not really that bad. I did have a kB last sunday.

9 major first shot out of holster. Blew out the case at 6 o'clock. Felt like someboy hit my thumb with a hammer. Didn't know it was a kB at the time, I was on auto pilot. Rack tap bang, finished the stage. Afterward I went back to find the case. Was blown out. I should take a picture of it.

fully supported match chamber, clean barrel, jacket bullet. kB's can happen to anybody/any gun.

Did not damage the gun, gun ran the rest of the match.

I'm thinking maybe I should back my load off a little.