faulty hard drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ballast, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

okay, i have a couple of hard drives that have crapped on out me, and I thought I'd ask about there here before I throw them in the trash.

I have a 20gig maxtor, that was swapped between a windows drive and and linux drive several times. and now if it's connected to your ide chain, the computer will post, but not do anything else.

i have a 40gig quantum fireball, that crapped out last week. When it's connected and i boot with either my winME or winXP cd and try to fdisk it, it says that the drive is not accessable.

any suggestions that might allow me to keep them, or should i just junk them?

thanks.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

For the first drive....

When you pull the drive out with no other boot drive does the machine make it the same distance into bootup as it did when the drive was in?

It looks like you might have some junk on your hands there. The only thing I can think of is swaping channels. Or moving them between Master and Slave. You could always try them on a different IDE controler to make sure that is not the problem.

3. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

i've put it in 3 different computers on both master and slave of channels 0 and 1. and i always get the same response. i was pretty sure it was now a doorstop, but i thought i'd ask anyhow.

thanks