GUN faulty aimpoint

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jefferson Darcy, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

:mad:

so it seems like my aimpoint M2 is a lemon.

took the M4 to the range yesterday to zero the aimpoint and was completely unable to zero it. I checked teh dot in relation to the iron sights, and each shot the dot would move. When I got home I fund that just cycling the action would do it too.

Eliminated the rifle and me as the problem by firing a 1" group at 50 yds with the irons.... so obviously the rifle is fine.

thoght it was the mount, teh Larue tactical low mount (for RAS II hump). in fact there was a problem with the mounts in general, apparently the ones with black hardware have some kind of crap on the screws and they have to be degreased before applying loctite or they can come loose. So today I did that, cleaned teh screws, applied loctite and tightened them as tight as possible. thought I had the problem.

mouned the unit back on the rifle, broke out the benchrest on the kitchen table and set it so the dot was on top of the front site post when looking thru the rear (small) aperature. Tried to physically move the apoint and see if it changed the position of the dot. Nope. so I thought I had it....

then I cycled teh action... and once again, teh dot moved :rant:

I found that the dot moves vertically each time... and I can "chase" the dot buy adjusting it back to the top of the post... each time raising the elevation knob...

so basically it sounds like it is teh aimpoint itself not the mount... I woudl think if it was the mount or somethig other than the unit itself, the vibration would cause movement in other directions, not just up.

Aimpoint is getting a call from me on monday :squint:

2. Jefferson Darcy

thing is... aimpoints have a rep as being bulletproof.. moreso than EOthingies

that said, If aimpoint doesnt make it right, I will be getting an EOtech instead... but that will necessitate me getting rid of my RAS II and getting a regular RAS instead.

I am 99% sure that I have isolated the problem to the aimpoint.

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:uh: I thought you had it solved. I have had 0 problems with my EOTech. I will soon be an owner of an aimpoint too.

Hopefully, they make it right. :x:

4. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

The Larue Tactical Cco Aimpoint Mount Is An Superb Aimpoint Mount, And Installing It Is A Practical I.q. Test.

Here Are The Instructions:

Mounting Aimpoint Comp M2

1. Remove Ring Halves From Base (four 8-40 Screws) And Remove Battery Cover And Battery.

2. Reassemble Ring Halves And Base Onto Aimpoint With Speed Lever On Left Side.

3. Install Two Lower Screws With A Drop Of Loc-tite On Each And Tighten.

4. Align Elevation/windage Knobs To 12 O'clock And 3 O'clock Position.

5. Now Install And Alternately Tightentwo Top Screws With A Drop Of Loc-tite On Each.

6. Replace Battery And Battery Cover. Place Optic On Gun And Adjust Lever Tension Per Instructions.

Here's The I.q. Test Part: If You Do Not Follow The Plain And Simple Directions Using Loc-tite And Snugging Up Solidly The Bottom Two Screws Before Even Installing The Tops Two Screws, You Flunk. If You Flunk This Test, You May Be Too Dumb To Own A Gun.

Oh Yes, And Your Point Of Impact Moves Vertically.

Wes Grant
    M.s.t.n.

5. Jefferson Darcy

yep, installed it just like that.... BOTH TIMES. the first time I may not have made the screws tight enough. I'm used to instructions saying DO NOT OVERTHIGHTEN... so I thought that combined with the possibility that the grease caused the screws to loosen a bit cause the problems.

this time I followed those instructions again and tighetend the screws VERY TIGHT. THe thing feels absolutely rock solid. but still, working the action causes the dot to move up.

6. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

If you send it back to aimpoint they will fix it or give you a new one.

7. Jefferson Darcy

yep I'm calling them tomorrow, it should be going back tuesday