Fatty trying to run

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hurleyint1386, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I'm a big guy looking to try and get back into shape. I used to play soccer and baseball in high school and was in shape, but the past 4 years, I haven't been active at all. I've since gained 50 pounds (from 180 to 230) and not too long ago I tried running, and I've got a lot of extra baggage to be running with. I get tired easily and am short of breath. I've been thinking I should just start walking for a while, but not sure how much a day to help out. Anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm just about 23 and don't want to continue down this path. Any suggestions for how to start some easy cardio and build into something better? Thanks for any input.

2. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

Just start. Thats the main thing right now, START. Start anything active, walking, jogging, working out with weights, swimming, etc. Just start out light/easy and get the rythm and form it as a habit.

next you should evaluate your diet, I'm sure you didn't gain 50lbs just by sittin' around, you must have eaten like shit too. Start to eat cleaner foods, smaller meals, and drink your water.

Good reference of diet is found in the stickies and Pur's How to be a bodybuilder...

3. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

build up a base, dont try running a marathon. take babysteps and just increase the amount you run.

start by running like 10 min then walking for another 10 then run for another 10 then increaes the numbers.

4. hurleyint1386

I'd like to make it a new year resolution to eat better and work out. I don't want to just start on the first of January, I want to begin immediately, so that's what I'm looking to do. You're right, I do eat unhealthy, so I'm working on that as well. My kryptonite is Mountain Dew. I know it's bad for me, but I'm addicted to it. So I'm cutting that off immediately and trying to eat smaller portions 6 times a day rather than 3 meals with large portions. I'm trying to eat oatmeal and chicken in particular (I'm not a seafood person) so I'm trying to find different variations of eating it. Right now, I've only got packaged oatmeal which isn't like plain oatmeal, but that's on my grocery list for tonight. What kinds of things do people like to put into it for more taste? I've tried adding in some protein powder, and it actually doesn't take half bad.

When I say I'm a fatty, I really mean it haha. I would need to start out lower than 10 minutes. I've tried it like that, and I can't make it the full 10 minutes. I'll probably start out with 5 running, then 5 walking.

5. hurleyint1386

I'll actually check back in on this thread in a while. I figure if I want to lose weight, then the best thing to do would be to use my car as little as possible. So I'm going to take a walk to Barnes and Noble about 4 miles away. So I had a good 3 mile walk this morning, adding on 8 more (4 there and 4 back) would be helpful.

6. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

I was in almost your exact situation last year. First thing I did was hop on an elliptical; did a half hour a day for a few months. Once I was down in weight, I started running.

7. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

One thing that might be helpful is to get a target heart rate. The body tends to use fat as the source of energy when the heart rate is between 60% and 70% of your maximum heart rate.

Maximum heart rate = 220 - (your age)

So your max heart rate would be 197, to get into your target heart rate zone anywhere from 118-138 beats/min would be best. Anytime your doing some exercising whether it'd be just jogging or weightlifting, from time to time check your heart rate by checking your pulse and count how many times it beats in 15 seconds then multiply it by 4

8. posit

posit New Member

coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I know lots of people who have tried that or variations of it.

9. Hello Panda

Hello Panda New Member

You may not want to be a bodybuilder or jacked, but as Pelham said, check out Pur's sticky on being like a bodybuilder.
    It contains great information for starting to lift weights and eat well.

10. big sky guy

big sky guy New Member

Walking, elliptical, biking are all great ways to start getting back into shape without killing your hips, knees and ankles in the beginning.

Good luck on the journey hurley!

11. hurleyint1386

well, i have to admit that i ate poorly today. although i did get quite a bit of exercise in. my friend and I decided to go biking. at first, we rode about 2 miles down the erie canal trail, then turned around and went back. so a total of 4 miles. but then we thought about going on a longer bike ride. we ended up riding 8.5 miles the other way down the erie canal trail then 8.5 back. so there were quite a few factors that made this difficult for me. 1) i'm out of shape, 2) i havent ridden a bike in over 4 years, 3) it's 31 degrees out, 4) it was windier than a mother fucker, and 5) it was hailing. Oh and there was some ice on the road. it was pretty intense, but even riding down hill with the wind was like riding uphill. it sucked, and i feel like sleeping for a few days. but i think we might go riding a few times a week.

12. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

Well thats good, another thing you might want to consider (which is pretty easy) is to burn about 250-500 more calories than you eat each day. Each week it'll be about between 1750-3500 calories burnt which is between 1lbs-2lbs lost. Which is the way to go since the majority of that loss will be fat, anything more than that would be water weight and muscle loss.

13. Mass

Mass Active Member

running is brutal for us heavier guys, I strained my calf running up a hill and it took weeks to get better

14. Drewski

Drewski New Member

^^^^

start off with some low impact cardio if you can, like swimming, bike or elliptical. your joints will thank you in the long run

15. hurleyint1386

I'm glad to hear that other people were in my shoes and successfully did something about it. Today I didn't do much of anything because my body is a bit tired, but tomorrow I'll either go for a walk, or try getting on the bike again (ass hurts).

16. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:werd:

I'd start off with some walking or swimming first but if you want to run do it on a field or rubberized track. Concrete will be brutal on your joints. Asphalt is better then concrete but still can cause damage.

17. hurleyint1386

Yeah, I've noticed that if I run around in a gym, it's easier than running outside. But running outside on the concrete is easier than running on grass because it seems like the ground absorbs the shock and makes it a bit harder to run on

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

As someone who used to run 10+ miles at once on a regular basis I think you should suck it up and run on the grass. You and your joints will thank me.

19. hurleyint1386

I completely agree. It might be harder at the time, but it will be better on my body in the long run.

20. Drewski

Drewski New Member

+1

Grass > Dirt track > Asphalt > Concrete

the only downside of grass, and its not huge, is that it can be uneven which can add lateral forces to your joints. The other options is a dirt/gravel track at your local high school

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.