"Fatty Steaks" and low carb diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by smb is me, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I've seen on most low carb diets they suggest a "fatty steak."
    I am retarded when it comes to steak, so lend me a hand.

What cuts would be considered a fatty steak? And what would the nutritional facts (macros) be for such a cut. I want to work steaks into my diet to get more variety and to increase fat for energy purposes. and before I go down that path, does F&N agree with this suggestion?

2. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

just eat a steak no need to over think it

3. smb is me

smb is me New Member

well that was easy.

thanks

4. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

ribeyes are known for their marbling.

5. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Filet mignon

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Skirt steak. :big grin:

7. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

tri tips and ribeye om nomo nom

8. tinkan

tinkan ot pilot crew

The point with a low-carbohydrate diet is to no longer worry about the negative effects of fat on your health. The concept that fat makes you fat is a fallacy. The cause of all of the obesity and related disease in America is solely carbohydrate-intake the resultant insulin resistance. It's impossible to lose weight when you're got elevated insulin levels even during fasting periods. Somebody who is pre-diabetic eating a low-fat diet is such a horrible recommendation. I feel bad for those people, they are fighting against their own bodies.

9. synthetic

synthetic New Member

you know, some of people here should read the book china study. Most of the low carb diet results also included calorie reduction. for fucking sure you will lose weight! Look at chinese-jap people (not chinese or jap americans), they are skinny as fuck and a low on meats, are healthier, and eat high carbs

anyways. I think its down to timing, if you eat a fatty steak or hamburger prior to work out, it will teach your body to use saturated fats heavy in palmitic acids as energy. While post workout / off days I would eat a lean cut like round or filet mignon with good fats on the side... avacado, olive oil, etc. thus your body will learn to absorb the beneficial fats for recovery instead to be burned off.

10. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

rib eye is nice and fatty. :yum:

and citizens of asia don't get fat because they don't eat that much processed foods.

11. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

I'm guessing it's a combination of things, eating less, more activity etc

12. Daria

Daria New Member

Not solely. Intake of too much trans-fat and saturated fat can increase bad cholesterol levels.

To the OP, I strongly, strongly suggest not eating steak more than twice a week. The rest of your protein should be coming from chicken, lean pork (NO BACON), legumes (beans), nuts, cheese (moderately), fish (moderately), and tofu.

I was on a low carb diet for 2 and 1/2 years, medically supervised. I took blood tests around twice a month. I almost brought my bad cholesterol to a dangerous level eating too much steak (T-bone, minute steak). I had to cut out bacon before that. Eating the steak around 2 times a week was fine.

Other than that, I strongly suggest that when you lose all the weight that you need to lose, that you slowly integrate carbs from fruit and whole grains back into your diet and have an exercise plan for the long term. Please don't choose the low-carb diet as a life-long eating plan.

Looking back, even though I saved myself from a heart attack, I wish I had gone the route of watching my calories and exercising instead. I lost alot of muscle on the low carb diet to the point where my knee joints were too weak to stay together when bending in certain ways (incase you are wondering, I only did walking for exercise. One hour every day). I also lost pieces of cartiledge in my knees.

Speaking solely from personal experience, I would recommend this diet for short term use only.

13. Daria

Daria New Member

I agree with this. When I was on a low carb diet, my calorie intake was very low. The one thing I found was that not eating carb-rich foods made me less and less hungry so I didn't even feel hungry enough to consume alot of calories.

14. smb is me

smb is me New Member

tinkan: I think ur post was a little off topic...but thats okay, name of the website. I understand the point of a low-carb diet and have a very specific reason for going on one. Was looking for info on steak.....lol.

Daria: Low carbs purely for aeshtetical reasons. Am not, nor have I ever been fat, or even overweight for that matter. Just trying to get really lean. God, I'd never consider a low-carb diet as a life long plan, i miss my carby-carbs too much. But I can sacrifice for a couple months. (also, i've got calories, cardio, and lifting on lockdown to boot)

Synthetic: whats your body fat at nowadays? Like everyone else on here, i don't understand your diet, but find it interesting to follow. What does your daily macros look like? Calories, fats, proteins, and carbs breakdown?
    Also, how do your knees feel with all that cardio and marathons you do?

thanks for your feedbacks.

15. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

filet is lean.

16. synthetic

synthetic New Member

bf im not sure.. but i have a lot of loose skin... i may be down to 7-8%, i really need to gain some quality weight, at least 2.5-5kilo

im averaging on my diets 1 gram of protein per 1 gram of carb, and .2 grams of fat

I make sure most of my fat is monounsaturated, as most food you eat will prob come with enough polyunsat/sat fats naturally

i do about 200-250g protein a day

so yesterday i think i did 255g / 255g / 45g

check the "what are you eating now thread'

(upped pro-carb by 50g to bulk a little)

I dont do much cardio at all as before (2.5k run every day, 5k bike twice a day, 5-10k runs on the weekend), and for the marathon I ate so well I have no problems with knees. eating shelled shrimps really helps the joints.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  17. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

I eat steak almost every day

18. ReFreshing

ReFreshing OT Supporter

wish i could

19. tinkan

tinkan ot pilot crew

There is no correlation between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol/lipoprotein levels.

20. Elfling

Elfling New Member

This. Or rather, dietary cholesterol intake has VERY minimal effects on serum cholesterol levels.

21. synthetic

synthetic New Member

22. Elfling

Elfling New Member

23. tinkan

tinkan ot pilot crew

I'm not even talking from a perspective of low-carbing. I think the science speaks for itself. There is tons of conflicting literature out there, same with drug studies. Can you really trust an NIH-funded study saying marijuana causes brain damage? There is a lot of money-involved in all of these industries and a lot of research is funded with questionable motives. I don't think it's worth actually getting into an argument because there isn't probably anything somebody could say to change the minds of people. Saturated fat has been demonized for years now and nothing is going to change the idea that saturated fat and cholesterol = heart disease and obesity. Me trying to "convince" somebody otherwise is never going to work, especially on an internet forum. You've all made up your minds by now.

Another compounding factor is the complexity of all of this. A lot of hormones and other functions in the body are both good and bad, it just depends on the context. In terms of bodybuilding, insulin is a very powerful and good hormone in the proper situation. On the flipside, in an insulin resistant individual insulin is the strong force that exists in the body that is inhibiting lipolysis.

24. spdrcr

spdrcr OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure filet is considered a fatty cut of steak. It "appears" lean, but the fat is what gives the cut it's flavor and tenderness.

A lean cut of steak would be something like Sirloin.

25. Primrose

Primrose New Member

Thought to save you from future trouble and mention that there are many, many risk factors for heart disease, LDL cholesterol being just one small part of the puzzle. I know, I have heart disease.

Unfortunately your doctors probably are not familiar with cholesterol coming in different sizes. LDL that is small in size is associated with heart disease. Large fluffy LDL is not. Carbs cause small LDL to form. Saturated fats cause safer large LDL to be created.

You want to ask your doctors for the size of your cholesterol. The more small LDL you have the greater the chance of coming down with heart disease.

to learn about heart disease prevention please check out this cardiologist's blog: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

If you would like to learn more about cholesterol testing, Dr Eades has a nice posting on this very topic of LDL testing and low carb diets with his recent blog writting: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.