Fatass.... Checkin out

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 94SupraTT, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT Well-Known Member

WOOT i can feel it this is the year of NOT bein a fatass... haha

been making minor adjustments to my eating habits, and mentalities towards food over the past few months.. but haven't gone far enough (alot thanks to a laziness, and such) any way Today is a new day.....

Going to blog about this here.... probably not more than weekly, but still going to try to support myself, and get some support from my fellow OTers.

I tried this last year on a bet.. i won the bet losing 50 lbs, but that was short term thinking, and i ended up packing it all back on + 15-20 more :(

Ok

Starting Weight 361 (GOD IT HURTS TO TYPE THAT!)
    Height 6'3"
    overall state of physical fitness.... laughable

Plan..

Diet
    Eat far more healthy. no more soda, no more crap snack foods, no more fast food, no more eating after 8:00pm, and eating more often and smaller amounts.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my thinner life.
    Small bowl of Cereal (Rice Chex, no sugar, and 2% milk) Approximately 130 calories
    Snack 1 Peach Fruit Bowl (approximate calories 50)
    Lunch Steamers plate (microwave easy to eat at the office) Approximately 350 calories
    After lunch snack, Banana, and Apple
    Dinner (whatever GF cooks, but in very moderate proportions, attempting to keep myself to no more than 500 cals per sitting)

I know this isnt the super clean diet many of you weight lifters and borly types like... but to be honest... i cant go carb free, or even super low carb... my energy level plummets on like Atkins, or any of those... i gotta have some carbs in the morning especially.

Diet is rinse and repeat with minor variations, different fruits and veggies, and meals like oatmeal instead of cereal, and stuff of that nature.

Exorcise
    ~1 mile walk at lunch... just to get myself out and about in this lovely cali weather

4 days at the week at the gym (once the resolutioners give up) concentrating on mid-low weight high rep weight lifting focusing on major muscle groups (legs, arms check, back and so on)

Goal

Get down to a more manageable weight. be able to run again without becoming winded in 50', stay alive, get healthy, have more fun!

Small goals, id like to lose 15 lbs in January, and another 15 in feb.... this should be wicked easy with my current weight and sedentary lifestyle.

Any thoughts?

Oh supplementing with a multi vitamin, and probably a potassium supplement (my blood pressure meds deplete potassium)

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

1) create log in training logs subforum
    2) do not try and completely overhaul everything at once and get rid of every bad habit or you will hit a wall and inevitably flake out - change things slowly and fix them one at a time
    3) read this success thread: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4211894

3. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

about 1200 cals a day? good luck with that.

dont eat like a bitch and stop being lazy and the weight will melt off. if you've been eating like a dick and clean it up you'll drop pretty quickly. I can cycle carbs and water and drop 10-15lbs in a week.

grab some whey. it will be a better snack than the shit you got already. follow the diet in the stickey. its still a lot less calories than your eating now and what you actually need, but it will be better than what you have planned out.

hell, follow the routine up there too or check into the 5/3/1, 5x5, or starting strength. you'll focus on the main lifts, get your form down, and wont screw around with some other BS routine.

4. 94SupraTT

Ok so lets approach this logically

I need a plan for food i enjoy (since i LOVE to eat) and food that gives me what i need.. not supplements, and whey drinks/protein bars.. thats exactly waht i did in may last year.. yes it worked, but as soon as i slipped it was over.

I need to do what is right for me.. My diet is planned out better than you seem to think... I will be getting plenty of protein from my lunch and dinners... and i plan to keep closer to 1500 calories, today is a bit light but tomorrow will be more.

I appreciate the input... but to be 100% honest following the advice of the sticky last time just didnt work... not for the long term :)

My plan right now is to ensure the following

1) my caloric intake is at or below 1750 pr day
    2) i am not overly hungry
    3) i am getting enough protein in my diet
    4) i enjoy what i eat, cause if i dont at some point i will slip,, and thats IT

the workout routine is something ive kind of anguished over... i used to lift ALOT, as well as sit on the rowing machine for up to an hour.... i cant do that any more.. my plan is just to get my major muscle groups active again.... as i get closer to my goal weight i will be concerned more with strength training.

5. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

I love to eat too. I used to weigh close to 500lbs. I sit around 260-270lbs right now. I dropped to my lowest at 235lbs about 2 years ago. I did that by extreme low calories and lots of cardio, dumbest thing I ever did. If I would have done it right, I wouldn't have some of the issues I have now and would be a lot stronger.

How shitty was your diet before? 1750 calories would be for someone around 180lbs to maintain. I suggested whey because your snacks are shit. Your breakfast = shit. You need some protein at EVERY meal. I'd try to hold onto any ounce of muscle you may have. Eat some protein. You slipped and gained it all back because you lack strong minded and you ate like a dick. Gaining 70lbs back is not something you do because you slipped. You can still slip. I eat clean 6 days a week. 1 day a week I eat whatever I want.

You want to work your "major" muscle groups. Squat, bench, deadlift, and SOHP. If your "major" muscle groups aren't worked, let me know, you've fucked something up. Those routines are easy to follow and perfect for damn near everyone.

You want something long term? Sack up and make a lifestyle change.

6. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

thread over

7. 94SupraTT

thats the plan... but part of making a lifestyle shift is finding ways to cope with the loss of things you like / love... yes protien at breakfast would be a great thing.. just not sure what i want to add at that meal for it without increasing my caloric intake.

fruits and veggies are important for me right now cause of my bp pills sacking specific nutrients from my system as it is, potassium vitamin c, and a few others are known to be problematic.

and yes i dont buy into the lots of cardio method of weight loss either i do plan to lift atleast 3-5 days a week.

any way... i did eat like shit.. alot of that was addapting to living with the GF and eating her cooking, or if she didnt feel like it what ever fast food she brought home, and alot of traveling... god it was hard to eat healthy in mexico haha

8. Memor

Memor Active Member

Part of what Blade is trying to tell you is that going from being 360lbs and eating horribly to eating under 1750cals/day with horrible macronutrient ratios is a very poor decision. You didn't get to 360 by eating 1750/day of shitty food, you got there via thousands and thousands of bad calories and a sedentary lifestyle. Jumping to a massive caloric defecit will bite you in the ass. Might work for you for a couple months and then you'll just balloon back up. Protein for breakfast can come from anything you want...eggs, whey, chicken, fish, etc.

A lot of the time with severely overweight people who are accustomed to doing no physical activity and eating like shit, even making them do mild cardio and just cut out soda will cause them to drop a ton of lbs in a very short period. Small changes when you're that heavy make a world of difference. Listen to what Blade is telling you.

9. 94SupraTT

so as the body building crew always says... needs more protein eh?? haha

well i was debating on tossing in the orgain shakes in the morning... i was drinking them solely for breakfast but found myself STARVING shortly after...

what kind of ratio should i be shooting for?? i was originally going for as close to 50% diet from protein as possible...

10. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

11. 94SupraTT

so as that very thread states... watching the video for over 30% bf i dont need to worry about macronutrient for now... just get some good protien, and carbs early in the day.

so what am i missing you guys tear into my plan saying everything is shit... so far from what i can tell all im missing is the protien source at breakfast?

12. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Your diet sucks balls. Rice chex? Fucking rice chex? Come on.

I understand the 'im doing something that's been done a million times, there's a proven recipe for success, but I am special and different' ideology. We all have that. That's why F&N is filled with the same 50 or so posts over and over. And that's fine. But after posting, and reading, and LISTENING, you need to just man up and do what every other person throughout modern (FAT) history have done to lose weight and get into shape.

That plan does not start with fucking rice chex in the morning (Its not just the rice chex themselves. It's what they signify).

13. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

glad u lost weight

curious though - why do you think you allowed yourself to get to 350+ lbs?
    and what was the final straw where u said enough is enough i'm going to get in shape?

14. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

It is shit. My pregnant wife eats more protein than your "diet". You're not getting any protein in until lunch. :ugh: And way to stop at the first fucking hint of advice in that thread.

If your not going to put any effort in this, then why do it? And for real...rice chex?? Spend the extra 2 minutes and make a decent breakfast.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  15. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Stop eating like a goddamn bird and do the sticky diet. It's simple, affordable, keeps you full, and it works.

16. devman

devman New Member

Yea dont worry too much about macros, but try to get some more protein. And you really need to eat more than 1500 cals at 350 pounds. You are going to starve yourself and quickly fall off the wagon. Make a smaller change and gradually adjust the calories downward when your weight loss slows.

17. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

If the other way worked... And you lost the weight, why not do it again? If you are prone to slipping, you will do it either way. It's all about overcoming that slip and getting back into the rotation again. The difference between what you tried and what your going to try is the time between the slip. If you don't eat proper and get used to it than the time gap will be much sooner this time.

18. 98dirtybird

98dirtybird OT Supporter

I have lost 27 pounds in 5 weeks on a close version of the stickied diet.

change to old fashion oats, lose the late fruit. and yeah, eat lots of protien and veggies.

19. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

Just don't get discouraged by advice you do not like or want and then not do it. I am sure a lot of these guys have seen people come and go on failed diets all the time.

The advice is to help you, not knockyour diet. Well some of it knocks yours heh, but you get the idea.

20. shrew

shrew OT Supporter

Also, eating so little calories at your weight will damn sure make you drop weight extremely fast. But the downside to that is the excess skin you will accumulate. Weight loss needs to be slow and steady in order for your body to adapt appropriately.

Remember weight loss should be looked at as a lifestyle change, not an overnight miracle.

Lurker checking out.

21. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Active Member

Here's some of my thoughts on how you can reach your goals. Also, to be honest up front, if you can go from not doing any of this stuff to doing at least half of it and making a serious change in your lifestyle I'd count that as a win. Don't get discouraged if you fall behind on one of these things. If you can follow through on most of it then that just means in 1/2 years from now you can focus even harder on the stuff that was tough the first time around and the rest will already be a part of your lifestyle.

1. The easiest way to fix this for 90%+ of people is to not eat anything you don't cook/make at home. Plan your meals by the week, breakfast/lunch/dinner and snacks too. It'll probably get repetitive but that also makes it easy. Once you get through a few weeks / months without eating out anywhere (Unless it's like someone's birthday or something) then you'll probably have a better idea of what a REAL balanced meal / day is and can start to vary shit up and make substitutions. Don't eat stuff like cereal, if you feel you need some carbs in the morning MAKE your cereal. Cook some damn oats or something.

2. Buy a water bottle, spend like at least 1-4 hours on this, look at different ones online, go to sporting stores / outdoors stores and check out different styles. Cary it with you EVERYWHERE and always keep it full.

3. See #1, if you plan out your shit ahead of time this will be much less of an issue.

4. Plan for 6 meals a day, if you're eating well it doesn't really mater as much if you starve yourself before bed. I just ate my dinner and plan on passing out soon, and if I didn't I'd have some cottage cheese or something closer to when I do go to sleep. The problem with most people wouldn't be that they are eating right before bedtime, but that they are eating a big-mac right before bedtime. Make your dinner a steak and salad or salmon or something, then pass the fuck out or not it doesn't matter if you're eating right.

Multivitamins are a good idea, it's also something that's real easy to keep up with and can help remind you of the other goals (eating, exercise). Just put the pill bottle next to your water bottle. Then when you go to grab your water bottle every morning you can take one.

Per your goals, walking every day at lunch is a great idea. One of my co-workers started doing that a few months back and that is the biggest change he made to his lifestyle and he's dropped double digits.

Also, don't make weight goals. Unless you're on a TV show that will pay you to track your weight nothing good will come of it IN THE LONG RUN and that's what we're going for here. If you make goals like 'lose 15 lbs by x/x/x' or 'loose 100 lbs by x/x/x' either you won't meet your goal which clearly isn't good for motivation; or you will meet it, but then what? You mentioned losing some weight last year and then 'falling off the wagon'. Diets and short term goals aren't sustainable things, we're going for major lifestyle changes here. This would NEVER be the case, but honestly, if 6mo/1yr from now you weighed the exact same but didn't drink any soda, didn't eat any fast food/junk food, could do some serious cardio from all that lunch walking & gym time, would you think of yourself as worse off? You'd still be infinitely more healthy then without those changes, so who gives a fuck about the weight. And it's not like if you made those changes you wouldn't drop some serious poundage too, but if you're goal if lifestyle changes that are sustainable then make it about that, not how much you loose each week, that's just a nice bonus.

Also, consult your doctor.

22. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Active Member

Oh yea, also, do not wait on this. Go Tomorrow. Fuck, go tonight if the gym you want to join is open 24/7. Who the fuck cares that it'll be packed, who cares that you're signing up right after new years. You're at the gym for you, fuck what every one else in there thinks. Don't let yourself start by talking yourself into procrastination.

23. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

lots and lots of salads

also make sure you get healthy fats

there are no healthy fats in the diet you describe

olive oil on a green salad is incredible

24. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

:werd:

Also, the BEST thing about lifting is that it's all YOU. Y-O-U. Don't compare yourself to the dude next to you with a 6 pack and 20inch bis. He doesn't matter. You you you. It's your most selfish hour of the day.

Success and failure is 100% up to you. Understand how much POWER that gives you.

25. 94SupraTT

Actually i am intentionally eating foods that are relativly filling... hence the choice in rice chex... not bad 100 calories, and i know a small bowl will keep me satisfied till lunch... seems like a good idea to me :confused:

Honestly there are alot of excuses to let yourself get to 350... ive never been a small man, in highschool playing football and working out upwards of 2-3 hours a day (between practice and lifting weights) i was still in the 260 range...

the fact is between travel, and lazyness, and the need for massive knee surgery (replacing my left knee, and reconstructing my right) at only 16... i just stopped caring. continued to eat the massive football diet even when i was in a wheelchair.

The catalyst.... simple im sick of it.. i want my clothing to fit right, i dont want to worry about the adverse medical conditions of being overweight, and to be quite frank i just want some personal comfort back, to drive down the road and not feel my body jiggle at each bump n pot hole.....

ok so rather than ripping into my poor decision.... give me an example of something as easy, and quick for me?? im not one for oatmeal mostly because i dont like hot cereal.. so help me out rather than ripping it.

BTW i did augment my diet and have added a protein drink (the orgain ones advertised here on OT) with 16g of protein for breakfast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.