Fat Powerlifter to Skinnier Powerlifter.....

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TKEBoss, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

OKAY, I have let myself go. After a two year relationship and 40lbs later I realize Im a fuckin fatso. Im right at 267 and I need this shit gone. Thing issssss, how the fuck can I drop 30+ pounds while maintaining my goals and strength for competitions. I do not necessarily need diet help, thats easy. Its the fuckin part of actually staying an extra 30 minutes or going an addition 30 minutes to the gym on my off days that I lack.

Can I just hop on the treadmill and run it out? I kind of want to have the explosive type speed that I have always wanted. So should I just do sprints and suicides and shuttles??? Will that be good to cut the poundage with a good diet? Is this gonna hurt my max's??? WHAT CAN I DOOOOOO???

I know some of you will be like, search the forum, but I need specific help on dropping weight while keeping and gaining strength.

2. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Paging Mainesucks.

3. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

I was never fat but I increased all my lifts whilst loosing 20lb by just eat less food and doing more cardio.

4. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Page him, go on. GO. PAGE HIM....j/j.

5. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Honestly if you get the diet in line and don't mind losing it over time you don't really have anything to worry about :confused:

6. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Agreed, just diet slow, do light cardio and it will drop off slowly but surely

7. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

I would kind of like to drop 20-30lbs by August. Is that slow?

8. BrianFantana

BrianFantana Active Member

no 20-30lbs by november or december would probably be slow.

9. Plan B

Plan B New Member

it's possible

you'll need to do cardio most likely :o

10. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

I know I will have to pump out the cardio, but what type should I be doing. I do not want to inhibit my growth as a PL.

11. Plan B

Plan B New Member

I would think HITT would be fine, but i'd be guessing

12. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I usually just walk on an incline for a half hour

13. evh

evh Active Member

Simple Answer:

Lower your caloric intake SLIGHTLY.
    Do cardio every other day in the morning before eating breakfast for 35 mins of LOW INTENSITY.

Problem solved.

14. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero Active Member

why low intensity?

i have the same goal as this guy, and i do 30 mins of hard cardio

15. evh

evh Active Member

bad. light work for longer periods of time uses energy from fat, hard huffin and puffin uses energy from carbs.

i could give you a whole explanation about energy pathways and what comes from where when you work out, but it's unnecessary.

16. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Well... you are going to lose strength, but how much is somewhat up to you. I stopped competing for the time being so watching my numbers drop hasn't really been an issue and I'm still pretty strong considering how hard I'm trying to lose weight / fat.

Start simply by cleaning up the foods you are eating and keep some rhythm to your diet. Start by replacing all of the shitty carbs you have been eating by good carbs. This will make you feel hungrier during the day and actually allow you to eat more, smaller meals. Having a bunch of white bread with your eggs in the morning will keep you feeling full for longer than egg whites and some oats.

Cardio is key, but what kind depends on your goals. If you are actually a powerlifter (training for meets, competing, etc... not wearing a Westside shirt and browsing EFS) then you don't need to be doing wind sprints and other things that'll take a toll on your knees. At 267, you will feel wind sprints during your squat training.

For starters, 4x a week for at least 25minutes on the elliptical. And don't just hop on there and look like you are doing something... bust your ass. My recommendation is that you do this in the morning, as a hard PL training session won't leave any room for cardio after. Once you start getting used to the 25 minutes, bump it up.

You don't need to carb cycle or follow some crazy set plan or jump head first into a stage prep diet. Make small changes but be consistent with them. I went from the mid 280's to high 260's without doing cardio. Just cleaned up my diet.

Tip for minimizing strength loss. Hmmm. Well, run an anabolic during your diet phase. Thats the most obvious answer. Other than that, go by feel. Make sure you are eating a ton of protein and getting a ton of sleep. Get your carbs in the morning to get you awake and around training times for energy in the gym. Take a stimulant before you training for some extra energy. Etc.

You will lose strength on your leverage lifts. It will happen, especially with 30lbs of weight loss. Even if you put me in brand new double ply ACE briefs and a double ply ACE suit right now you wouldn't get a 900lb squat out of me. I could be in a 4ply Super Phenom and not bench 600 right now. It all comes down to what you want to do. If you want to be a good powerlifter, keep eating, keep some size on, and do more cardio. If you realize that powerlifting isn't going anywhere (read: will always be there for you) and that your health and wellbeing is more important than a 1000lb squat.... you'll take the strength hit and drop the weight. Once the weight is gone, start hitting it hard again and you'll find yourself in a lower weight class where you might not need the numbers you had at 270lbs to be successful.

- Clean Diet with lots of protein and get your carbs from good sources
    - Cardio. 4-5x per week 25-40 minutes.
    - Keep lifting
    - Stay focused

17. mrsalsays

mrsalsays New Member

Keep eating healthy and lift lift lift

18. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Impossible without drugs.

19. NUDES

NUDES New Member

i agree to a point. it depends on the lifter. if you are a beginner or not so advanced lifter then you can probably still progress some or at least not lose a ton of strength on a diet.

20. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

That's true.

21. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:werd:

22. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

But drugs don't matter only how hard the lifter trains :hsughw:

23. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I like drugs