fat loss/increasing your calories

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by crucialkc, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

okay, so what I've read about fatloss has lead me to this..

-lose fat by dropping calories.
    -as fat loss slows down, slightly decrease calories and/or increase cardio.
    -repeat for an undetermined amount of time.

at some point, as you get leaner, you are supposed to increase your calories.

why is this? how many calories? how do you know you're at this point?

2. Tiresias

Tiresias New Member

Try this:

1. Calculate your BMR to figure out how many calories you eat to maintain your current weight.
    2. Shave off a hundred calories or two hundred. Don't go too drastic, or you'll find yourself falling off the wagon. Drink water.

Just doing that, without any change in exercise routine, will shave off a few pounds.

You add calories when you start weight training. If you want to prevent muscle catabolization, make sure you increase your protein intake to match your body weight (1g per 1lb you weigh). That way, your muscles maintain (approximately) and your body goes after the fat.

3. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

I already know all of this. I'm just asking when to add cals and why it's appropriate.

4. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

umm the only reason you would want to slow down or reverse your calorie deficite is if you are done cutting and want to gain weight back. Whoever told you it would be good for fat loss to up your calories is a moran.

5. mykhan

mykhan New Member

This is the reason why you increase your calories:
    When you go with a low calorie intake (with less calories and more cardio) and have a calorie deficit for a long period of time, you do burn fat, but eventually your body starts to get used to the low total calorie intake and it starts to adapt to a low BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate).
    Another reason for not having a calorie deficit for a very long time or indefinitely, is b/c its a catabolic state in which you are losing fat and also some muslce. And as you might know, muscle is active tissue and on losing this you are also slowing your metabolism.

So, if you do this for a very long time, your metabolism slows down inadvertently b/c of the low BMR and you see very little or no results after some point.
    So, in order to not lower your BMR and slow your metabolism, its always recommended to not have a calorie deficit for a very long period of time. That's why, when you think you have had a long enough cutting phase and if gaining fat back again is your concern, you should bring your calorie intake to maintenance level at which you will know that you won't put on any excess fat or very little if any, and you will build muscle. This will keep you body from adapting itself to the low calorie intake.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

I'm sure i'm not alone here but:
    (and if you have low body fat % i'm sure shit is different, but i can't speak for those folks because i've never had a low body fat %)
    I've been living on 2500 aprox cals a day for about 1.5 years 6'3" and about 270 pounds now lifting 4 days a week
    I'm still losing weight while eating this aprox amount this entire time, almost the same exact meals every day, baked chicken and protein drinks for the bulk of my cals
    I've lost over 110 pounds at this point and still losing, during this time period my bench has gone up from max 135 pounds to 4 sets of 6 with 315.

I haven't adjusted my cal intake at all over this time period, my dody hasn't adjusted, i haven't stopped losing weight, i haven't stopped gaining strength. I've had plateau's but after a few weeks of staying the course things started moving again.

so who knows how it is when you are lean cause i am not lean, but staying at a deficit for a long period of time can work for us fat folks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.