Faster memory on a slower motherboard?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Deus Ex Aethera, Sep 8, 2004.

1. I have this really old Gateway laptop that uses (get this!) PC66 memory. The laptop is still usable, but the 32mb of memory is painful. I can put another 256MB in it, but I can't find any memory that's slower than PC133. Does anybody know if PC133 memory would still work properly (though slower) on a 66MHz motherboard?

2. Brian

Brian New Member

+points and laughs+

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

if it's the same number of pins, it should work just fine but only at 66mhz and not the 133mhz it's rated for.
    If you buy it local make sure you can return it if there are any problems. If so, then give it a try....worst case, it doesn't work

which make and model laptop is it?

I found found 66mhz notebook ram at Geek.com
    might be worth looking into, even a few 256meg sticks at 66mhz

4. Thanks for the tip. I found some slow memory too; if OEMPCWorld.com wants to ever actually mail it to me, so much the better. Good selection; shitty service.

5. strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction New Member

still might not work, the clock frequency may not be fast enough for refresh

6. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

www.crucial.com has a memory selector. See if you can find it. Also, call Gateway, since it's a Gateway laptop. I'll venture to say they're guaranteed to have it.

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Agreed.

Also - Always remember that your system will run at the speed of its slowest component. If you buy a card at 133mhz, it will only run at the 66mhz speed. While it may work, it won't be at the 133mhz speed...