Fasted Cardio - Alwin Cosgrove

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by shastaisforwinners, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/shakemyhead.html

From Alwin Cosgrove:

and along that same line...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. Chullore

Chullore OT Supporter

3. gnp

gnp New Member

good shit

losing weight is 90% compulsive and maybe 10% method

4. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Another from Cosgrove's site:

4) BODYPART SPLITS
    I think my mission in life is to rid the world of this ridiculous workout notion. Somehow this highly developed organism that we call the human body is not a remarkable piece of machinery that functions flawlessly as a unit, it's just random ass "parts" put together — each of which can be worked separately.
    My arse.

You didn't even turn your computer on using only one muscle so why in God's name are you trying to develop a body using some sort of body part split?
    And while I'm on the subject, how come fingers and toes don't get their own "day"?

Biceps get their own special recognition, what about fingers and toes and sternocleido mastoids? Or left arm on one day, right arm on another day (different body parts)? Because it's stupid, right? Well, so is splitting up your chest and shoulder "days".
    There are NO athletes other than a small bunch of genetically gifted, pharmaceutical abusing individuals who use a "body part" split with any success. NONE.

Now, if you ARE one of the genetic elite pharmaceutical abusers, then feel free.
    Split routines arrived on the scene shortly after Dianabol was popular. Do you see the connection?

Now before you ask me, "Can I split up my routine in some way?" Of course you can. But split it up based on what your body DOES, not based on what "part" it is. Splitting up by parts makes as much sense as splitting up by the number of freckles in that area.

5. BYGDK

BYGDK "It's nice to be important, but it's more importan

6. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

shit... i do a bodypart split :dunno:

7. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

This article is shit, it doesnt say why or why not it's effective, it just said that it sucks... Tons of people I know do a 4 day split, and it works quite well. Work the muscle group, get hypertrophy, what's this idiots problem? A split is more for conviencence I think, I just like knowing it's "chest/shoulder" day and have my workout routine already pre mapped. I see no reason to bench and squat and do some crunches all in the same day, then do some shoulders and biceps and calves or some other random combo another day.

8. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Well here's what he had to say in an article where I got my full body routine.

On paper, this supports Cosgrove's first assertion: "Performing total-body workouts three times a week is the most effective way to gain muscle." Unfortunately, that advice directly contradicts what most guys actually do. That's because almost everyone subscribes to a leftover from the Stay Hungry days of weight lifting: what Cosgrove calls "body-part training."

The idea is to divide the body into specific muscle groups, or body parts, and dedicate an entire session to working each individually. For example, you might perform exercises for your chest on Monday, your back on Tuesday, your shoulders on Wednesday, and so on. Even though you're training daily, each muscle group is targeted only once a week. So, in essence, those muscles grow for just 2 days out of every 7. With total-body workouts, though, you work each muscle more often. "When you train a muscle three times a week, it spends more total time growing," says Cosgrove.

Connections
    Anatomically speaking, you can't isolate muscle groups in the first place -- which is Cosgrove's other beef with body-part training. Imagine, for a moment, that you could strip the skin away from your muscles. You'd see clearly that they're interconnected, surrounding the body like a unified web. This is because all of your muscles are enclosed in a tough connective tissue called fascia. And since fascia attaches to bone and other muscles, it creates "functional" relationships between seemingly separate muscle groups.

"Even a small movement of your upper arm triggers a complicated network of muscles from your shoulder down to your hip," says Bill Hartman, P.T., C.S.C.S., a physical therapist in Indianapolis. Here's why: The latissimus dorsi (or lat), the largest muscle of the back, attaches to the upper-arm bone, shoulder blade, spine, and thoracolumbar fascia--a strong layer of connective tissue that attaches muscles to the spine and pelvis. The glutes, or rear hip muscles, attach to the pelvis. See the connections?

Don't misunderstand: There's no doubt you can emphasize a muscle group by choosing the appropriate exercise; just don't confuse targeting with isolating. To illustrate this point, Cosgrove uses the example of a popular exercise known as the bent-over row. If you subscribe to body-part training, it's a back exercise, since that's the area of your body it emphasizes. But, because of the interconnection between the muscles and connective tissues of the hips and back, your hamstrings and glutes are contracted for the entire exercise. So you're not only working your back, you're challenging your legs as well. And don't forget the involvement of your forearms and biceps in pulling the bar to your chest. "Separating your workouts by body parts is illogical," says Cosgrove. "You're not actually separating anything."

Also, since body-part training is generally performed intensely on consecutive days, it impedes the recovery process. "The nutrients your body needs to repair muscle damage from the previous day are allocated toward providing energy for your workout instead," says Jeff Volek, Ph.D., R.D., an exercise-and-nutrition researcher at the University of Connecticut. "Your muscles grow best when your body is resting, not working." This isn't an issue with Cosgrove's total-body recommendation, since there's a built-in recovery day after each session.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=muscle.building&topic=total.body&conitem=f8fb200525cca010VgnVCM100000cfe793cd____&page=2

My preference is full body workouts, just because it makes more sense to me, but then again I don't really know jack.

9. Drewski

Drewski New Member

thats its...tomorrow is officially finger and toe day at the gym!

10. shastaisforwinners

Splits are fine. It can be argued that they are not as effective, but it certainly doesn't mean they don't work. You have to remember that he is arguing from the standpoint of athletic performance, not aesthetics.

11. shastaisforwinners

Again, he said athletes, not normal gym rats. Splits make little sense for athletes trying to develop functional strength. You missed the entire point of his article.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  12. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I seem to do better on a split than a 3 day/week full body. Maybe I just didn't work hard enough? Who knows.

13. shastaisforwinners

There are way too many factors to take in to account... total volume, nutrition, recovery, program design, basis of comparison, etc... bottom line is do what works for you. I've had success with both, and both have their place when dealing with hypertrophy goals. However, for primarily strength-based goals (be it functional strength, maximal strength, etc), splits just aren't optimal for most people.

14. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I always see body builders refered to as athletes in the magazines and online articles I read.

15. shastaisforwinners

Yes, bodybuilders are referred to as athletes. However, engage in a little critical thinking. Of the thousands of different kinds of sports out there, can you think of a single sport besides fitness contests/bodybuilding where its competitors train purely for hypertrophy? No. All other athletes that train do so to develop some type of strength.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.