Fast twitch workout for a drummer...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mugen92GS-R, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

Hey everyone. I'm a drummer and I'm interested in finding a workout routine that will promote faster playing and more endurance. I'm already very skilled, now I just need to work on my endurance / speed / making it as tight as I can.

I have a buddy who's a senior for a PE degree and he's set up a routine for me but I wanted you guys input as well. It mainly includes arms / chest and legs, almost all fast twitch muscle training (lower weight, faster / more explosive reps).

Basically he's got me doing bench press, calf raises, squats, tricep extensions, and I'm going to throw in something for my forearm and shoulders / upper back as well.

Any of you have any input?

2. Doog

Doog New Member

looks good to me.

on an interesting note since I introduced my drummer to eating right and working out, his intensity. accuracy and 'power' have improved nicely

edit: on second look, some core work could only be beneficial to your accuracy...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  3. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

u can start with forearm exercises. they are essential to having fast wrist motion, something u use often.

best workout for u would be punching bag cardio.

4. m0untaind3w

m0untaind3w OT Supporter

speed bag

5. cheet

cheet OT Supporter

cocaine

6. elduderino323

elduderino323 OT Supporter

weighted drumming sticks

7. keeler

keeler New Member

faster playing!=better playing
    if you want to play faster, i suggest pure crystal meth

8. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

You think I don't know that? I've been playing for over 13 years, I'm not an amateur. I want to be able to play faster while still keeping it tight.

But hey, thanks for the serious reply!

9. giz

giz Active Member

:ugh2:

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

lead drum sticks.

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

do you play in a signed band?

no?

you're an amateur.

12. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

:hs: oh man that even burned me

13. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

wasn't meant to be insulting... but unless you make a living off of a hobby, you're not a professional, you're an amateur.

and if you want to build your speed and accuracy then you'll just keep practicing and working on rudiments.. the more often you do it, the more quickly your neurons will fire. the reason the best/fastest drummers in the world are so good is because they sit in front of a drumset for 6 hours a day.

14. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

15. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

1 min fast stroking 20 seconds slow :rofl:

16. Ep

Ep Guest

I've been drumming since I was 2, and the only way to get faster with more endurance is by practicing, and practicing properly. Working out will get you stronger, but it won't necesarily get you any faster or give you any more endurance. Sure maybe if you use your entire leg to play double bass, squats will help, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Just practice 2-3 hours a day doing singles, doubles, paradiddles all the time using a metronome and playing for extended periods of times. Honestly, you and I are actually hurting our chances by hitting the gym (or at least me, because I go ALL out), because I personally can't play drums for a few hours afterwards, and I wouldn't recommend playing close to workout because you'll only hinder your energy.

Do you have great technique already? If you already have great technique, try these exercises from derek roddy to gain speed,endurance and not lose your technique. Because any knowledgable drummer will tell you that speed doesn't come from brute strength. Besides danny carey, all the amazing drummres like vinny, donati,chambers etc are skinny fucking dudes. Shit, nick barker is one of the faster guys on the metal scene with perfect technique and he's fucking like 300 pounds. Gene hoglan is fat as fuck too. Heres the exercise

Suggested tempo 150 bpm – 250 bpm
    Playing 8th notes.
    4 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
    8 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
    12 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
    16 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest.
    Alternating single strokes for two minutes. (10 minute total)

Here is what I personally do. I don't do the whole metal thing anymore because you can't make shit for money as a drummer in that scene, plus the groupies are fucking ugly. I can play easily over 300bpm on my hands for a reference

(after 15 minutes of a metronome warmup)
    Right hand accented paradiddles 3 minutes. (at a comfortable tempo)
    Left hand accented paradiddles 3 minutes
    Do this on feet now. Heel up, then heal down. Thats 27 minutes

Doubles for 3 minutes
    Do this on the feet, Heel up, heel down (12 minutes)

LRR 3 minutes
    RLL 3 minutes
    Do feet heel up, and heel down (27 minutes)

Then you can incorporate this other derek roddy exercise. This is for endurance, speed, and overall balance. This is doing 16th notes with one hand and one foot. so

RH,RF,RH,RF etc
    LH,LF,LH,LF etc

You can do this with your right hand and left foot, left hand and right foot after as well. You can then do this with heel down after.

There's a lot more you can do but this is just the basics. Once you get comfortable doing these, I personally doing them around the entire drumkit. Then once your past that, you can even workon crossover sticking.

Try doing all those exercises at once 1-2 times a day. Thats about 2 hours or more of practicing without even going into playing to a metronome or a cd. This will get you faster with more endurance, and better at drums period then if you were to ever even step into gym. Oh and I guess jumping rope,running, or biking well help

17. Ep

Ep Guest

actually there is such thing as semi professional. Professional means you make a living off your instrument, semi professional means you are making money but not enough to live comfortably. But everything else yeah. Like I said, how many of the worlds best drummers are fucking jacked? Danney Carey and Thomas lang are the only ones that come to mind

18. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I dunno I know a good number of drummers and most are hardly what I'd call athletic dudes, regardless of playing ability.

19. Ep

Ep Guest

20. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Chris Pennie > drummers

at least his old front man in the dillinger escape plan was swole as fuck..(though Pennie now plays for Coheed and Cambria...no idea why he made that movie..i guess for the money)

Chris Pennie:

[​IMG]

Greg Puciato (singer of DEP):

[​IMG]

he focused on vascularity in this pic..
    [​IMG]

i asked him how the fuck he stays swole on tour and he said he eats a lot of hotdogs and drinks a lot of whiskey :wtf:

21. evh

evh Active Member

I'm a guitarist, been playing for 6 years. When I started to get bigger muscles, fingering became easier, endurance improved, and skills overall increased.

It's very interesting.

22. Ep

Ep Guest

Yeah the singer is out his fucking mind. Like literally.. Dude was nuts when I talked him

Chris pennie is fucking ill too. He's a jazz teacher last time I heard. Weekend sex change is fucking :bowdown:

23. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

he may do jazz lessons and stuff, but he took over drums for Coheed and Cambria and left Dillinger..their new drummer is amazing, too.. Gil Sharone

gets impressive at 1:11 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zgKAEZC2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9UMcjKloyo&feature=related :)bowdown:)

24. keeler

keeler New Member

it was a serious reply. for the most part musicians who are clean make shitty music.

25. TZ

TZ Banned

is this thread a joke? :rofl::ugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.