FASHION CREW - question about sport coats/jackets

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

edit - I'm not talking about blazers.

Alright, I know that when you buy a suit, you get a matching jacket/pants.

But how do you know when a jacket can be worn with jeans/khakis or when it has to go with a matchinig pair of pants? I'm talking about when you buy a stand-alone jacket in a store like H&M, or Express, or Bach Rach. Some of them are wool and look like suit jackets, except they don't come with matching pants... so does that mean you can wear them with some other pants? Others are like corduroy... and I'm assuming you wouldn't wear those with matching corduroy pants :ugh:

Here let me itemize my questions for you:

1. How do you know when a jacket is ok to wear with jeans or khakis and doesn't require a matching pair of pants? Is this determined by the material from which it's made? Or the color? A combination or both? Something else?

2. Are there specific rules with regard to color/material matching, like "don't wear x color jacket with y color shoes," or "don't mix material a jacket with material b pants" or anything like that?

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I have a jacket that I got from H&M (slim fit taper ftmfw, that's why 80% of my dress shirts come from there, too), that I know I can wear with jeans because the, uh, "fashion-conscious" guy working there spent a lot of time helping me. It's a tan/brown herringbone material and it looks fucking awesome. I wear it with jeans (it looks kinda lame with khakis) and a button up shirt, but not a tie. Ties and jeans don't mix. But I want a darker jacket and I want to know the rules for what goes with what and what doesn't and how different materials factor into the mix.

edit - show your support for fashion subforum:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3078640

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I think you can wear a jacket that isn't matched with your pants. That's what I do and I never got a bad commentary from anyone (far from it actually :naughty: ). The goal is to look more casual so be casual about it !

4. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

If jacket comes without matching pants, you can wear any pants you want. Most suit jacket can be worn with non-matching pants for casual look too, like a sport jacket. The only thing I've heard is to dry clean the suit jacket and pants together, so as to make sure they continue to look matching.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Alot of people will even break up their suit jacket and pants and wear them seperately too. If it looks good, go for it.

6. demosnat

demosnat New Member

pics of said jacket?

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm just wondering in general.

Also, discuss 1 button vs. 2 button vs. 3 button.

8. ArthurPewty

ArthurPewty New Member

I always figured that the situation dictated whether you could wear a sports coat with jeans rather than what the jacket was made of.

9. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

3 button, always middle buttoned. most formal usuage.

2 button can go either way. if wearing as a sportcoat/blazer, only 1 button, or unbuttoned

1 button. I m not exactly sure...

This somehow sounds more like i know what im talking about then I think I do, but this is what ive picked up. :dunno:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  10. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

no, the suit jacket itself may or may not be suitible for casual use. a double brested jacket usually makes a poor choice for a casual jacket for instance.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yeah, I don't like double breasted jackets.

Can you give some examples of when a suit jacket may be suitable for casual use vs. when it's not? Thanks.

12. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

im definitely not an expert. though one thing ive noticed that if you arnt wearing something that will expose the cuffs of your shirt, you are definitely going to want to wear a longer sleeve.

Other then that i play it be ear. obviously the more serious the suit the harder it is to make it look right in a casual context.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

So what makes a suit "serious?" Material? Color? Cut? Shape?

Also, how long should jacket sleeves be? I was wearing a jacket where they came down to my wrist, and someone working at the store told me the jacket fit correctly and they should "break at the wrist," but, yeah right, if I lift my arm up to horizontal it got pulled 1/2 down my forearm. I hate that. I know it's supposed to come up a little when you raise your arms, but not half way down your forearm. I'm a skinny guy but I have wide lats... I think that mades my shirts/jackets fit funny (one time in Express I ripped a shirt I was trying on when I lifted my arms up to horizontal in front of me... oops.).

14. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

short end of it is just don't do that. its business atire, its not supposed to be comfortable or versatile :hs:

yes, the jacket should break on your wrist, problem is that if you are an inch short normally, its not bad with your shirt cuffs. try it with a t-shirt and :ugh: much better to be an inch too long.

15. Bombay

Bombay New Member

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ Haven't read those links yet, (I'm at work) but thanks!!

17. guiltybystand3r

guiltybystand3r On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for e

I have a brown suede jacket that i wear with jeans and khaki's and a blue stripped seersucker jacket that I wear with light colored jeans. just feel comfortable in what you wear and project confidence, you'll be suprise what you can get away with as far as fashion goes.