FAQ: Vista + Q&A - Keep all discussion in here

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EvilSS, Dec 18, 2006.

1. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

So, knowing that with the public release on Jan 30th the flood will start, I figure it's time to mirror the IE7 Q&A thread with one for Vista. I'll edit as more are added as more questions come up in the forum.

A mod may want to sticky this too...

1.0 System Requirements

- Will my PC run Vista?

Probably, if it’s not ancient. Check your system here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Recommended by MS (*recommended by myself and others who are running it):
    1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
    1 GB of system memory. (consider 2 GB if possible*)
    Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
    40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    DVD-ROM Drive.
    Audio output capability.
    Internet access capability.

Minimum requirements are :

Processor 800 MHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    System Memory 512 MB
    GPU SVGA (800x600)
    Graphics Memory -
    HDD 20 GB
    HDD free Space 15 GB
    Optical Drive CD-ROM drive

More details on hardware requirements can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Hardware_requirements

2.0 Where is ______!??!? / How do I _____???

- Where are my menus in explorer/IE7/….???

Hit [ALT] to bring up menus. You can also add the menu toolbar in IE7 to the interface in the toolbars menu.

- Where can file type associations be changed?

Good question! As of right now the only place anyone can find to edit them is either by right-clicking on the file and changing the association to in the predefined list or directly editing the registry or with a 3rd party app. Methods for editing the associations can be found here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-500

- Where is C:\Documents and Settings?

No longer exists. It’s now C:\Users. Any attempt to write directly to C:\Documents and Settings will result in it being redirected (sometimes it will ask first) to C:\Users.

- Where is “Show hidden files” and “Show system files”?

Same place as XP. Open explorer and hit [Alt] to bring up the menu, then Tools/Folder Options/View.

I do not recommend turning off “Hide protected Operating System Files”. Vista has a lot more of them and they show up all over the place (Like on the desktop!)

- How do I type a path (like C:\Program Files\) into the address bar in explorer?

Click to the right on the address bar (so you don’t click on the text already there). It should highlight the contents of the address bar. Just start typing and your path will replace the navigation links.

- When I search for a file it’s not finding everything.

Right click on the start menu icon (windows logo), properties, Start Menu, Click Customize, Scroll down to Search Files. The default is "Search this user's files". You might want to change it to "Search entire index"

Also, in explorer go to Tools/Options (hit alt to get the menu) and go to the search tab. Default setting is to only search the index for indexed locations. If you change it to Always search file names and contents (don't recommend that) or Always search file names only it will find them right away. Otherwise just wait for the indexer to catch up (recommended since it gives you more options for searching).

You can also check "Don't use the index when searching the file system" to get them to show up right away.

- I don't like/can't use Aeroglass, is there a way to turn on the classic theme?

Yep! Right-click on the desktop, select Personalize. Click on Themes in the right-hand pane and select Windows Classic from the drop-down.

- I don't like the new Start Menu, can I switch it back to classic without loosing the entire Aeroglass interface?

Yes. Right-click on the start menu, select properties, then select the Classic Start Menu radio control.

- How do I customize the start menu (i.e. add Run or Printers)?

Right-click on the start menu, select Properties, then Customize. Select what you do and don't want in the list and click OK.

- Uh, were is telnet? (a.k.a. how do I add/remove windows components) *added 03/02
    Yea, Telnet is not installed by default. To get it back go to Control Panel then Programs and Features (used to be add/remove programs). On the top left there should be a link called "Turn Windows features on or off" with the little security shield next to it. Click there. A new window will pop up with a list of installed or not installed windows components. Scroll down and check the "Telnet Client" check box. Click OK and it will be installed.

3.0 Security and UAC (User Access Control)

- Can I make myself a full Administrator?

Turning off UAC completely is the only way.

- How do I turn off UAC (User Access Control)?

Windows-R, type msconfig, click OK

In msconfig go to Tools tab, Select Disable UAC, click Launch.

A DOS window will open. Close it. Log off and back on (may not be required)

- How to turn off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) *added 12/25

DEP is a protective feature that is built into both the OS and newer CPU's. It is designed to prevent buffer overflow exploits by marking data sections of the system memory as non-executable. There is a bug cropping up in Vista where DEP will suddenly deny IE, Explorer, or other applications execution even though nothing has changed and no exploit is being used against them. To disable DEP completetly, run the following from the command line (you must do this as an administrator if UAC is still turned on).

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

To re-enable, run bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

- How to disable Driver Signing Enforcement *added 12/25

To disable driver signing enforcement (only signed drivers are allowed to be installed in Vista by default) run the following command line:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

Updated: This command is supposed to work in x64: bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

This must be done as an administrator, so use RunAs if UAC is still enabled on your system.

4.0 Drivers and related software *added 03/02

- ActiveSync
    ActiveSync for Vista is called Windows Mobile Device Center and is available here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devicecenter.mspx

-My NVidia drivers suck! *added 03/02
    Yes they do. As of 3/02 they have some WHQ drivers available as well as the just released 101.41 beta drivers, but they are still well behind ATI and Intel in getting solid, performance tuned drivers out for Vista. Due to this they have been refocusing all of there development efforts toward new drivers, so expect frequent and (hopefully) improving releases over the next few months.

Service Pack 1 *added 03/02
    I'm sure a lot of people are saying "Wait for SP1", so just to let you know you won't be waiting very long. Vista SP1 is scheduled for release sometime in the second half of this year.

Hotfixes for Vista *added 03/11
    There are a number of hotfixes available for Vista that don't show up in windows update. To find the, use the link below. This should bring up most Vista updates with available downloads. You can also search on http://search.microsoft.com for your specific problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=global&query=Vista+update+119591&adv=&mode=r&cat=False

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Heh, Microsoft system requirements are bs. I tried running Vista on a 3.0 Ghz P4 (single core), 1GB RAM, and a GeForce 7300GS and the performance wasn't that great. But for sure, as you mentioned, definitely go with at least 2GB of RAM.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

good call

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I don't think it's hardware, I think there are a few things that still need tweaking. I expect to see most of it cleaned up in the first few months of release. There are places in the OS where performance tends to lag for no good reason.

I've also noticed that the OS tends to get better the longer it runs. I believe there are probably some self adjusting items in the OS like there were in XP. Boot time, for example, gets much better after a week or so.

Finally the graphics driver makes a HUGE difference when using Aeroglass. I've gotten far ranging performance diffrences between different versions of the nVidia drivers for Vista.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've got to remember to check the stickies more often.

Very cool, mon. [​IMG]

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I opted for the express upgrade to Vista Business from XP Pro on my Inspiron notebook I recently purchased. I expect to get the upgrade CD at the end of January. Should I upgrade? :noes:

7. Sphere

Sphere New Member

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

God damn, I can't imagine being so unappreciative of my operating system developer's hard work! Apparently, maybe, I haven't been shouting loud enough about Ubuntu.

http://badvista.fsf.org/

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Nice link. Danke.

10. Memor

Memor Active Member

Got a question here...friend .iso'd Vista evaluation for me, I set it up today. Everything works fine and figured out except the damn audio. I run my speakers and subby out of the headphone jack on my laptop, but for some reason no matter what I've tried Vista can't detect any kind of an audio source and I can't find a way to manually input it.

Any ideas?

11. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

I installed Vista on my media PC downstairs (3ghz prescott, 2gb ram, radeon x850) and it works pretty damn well. Im getting a better frame rate in CSS than on XP, and everything loads really quickly.

It installed all the hardware drivers (on xp I had to install sound + network) except video. Looks fucking sexy as well.

12. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Just to clarify, this only needs to be done in Vista x64. If you already installed a driver that wasn't signed, you can get into windows by pressing F8 and choosing "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement".

13. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Hey Guys, I have attempted to install Vista Bizness at work. I get through the install process, then when it tries to boot up for the first time, i get a message saying "windows failed to start because a required file BONETMAN.SYS is either missing or corrupted."

Anyone know how to fix this or what is causing the problem??

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

From Computer World: Wait! Don't buy Windows Vista.
    It's five pages worth, but can be summed up in a couple of words: "Vista sux".
    Just one quote:
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to read it before considering purchasing Microsoft's "Best Windows ever".

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Try different media and run a repair. I had something similar happen with one of my machines and it turned out my DVD (burned, MSDN) was bad. I burned a new copy and all was well.

16. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

True, but this is a heck of a lot easier than having to reboot to install something.

17. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I'm not planning to upgrade just yet. When's the first SP due out? ;)

18. heebdawg16

heebdawg16 New Member

I have a question about using Vista on 64-bit machines: I don't understand, not even after looking at the "explanation" on Microsofts website, WHAT you need to get Vista 64-bit. Is it INCLUDED with all versions of Vista (aside from basic), as in, are they both on the same DVD? Or do you have to find a separate version that is specifically labelled as 64-bit? They make some mention on the site about how you can order a DVD of "64-bit software" if you already have bought Vista from a retail store....does this mean that 64-bit is not included at all in the retail versions?

Or can I just go buy Vista Premium Upgrade, retail, and it will have the 64-bit version built in? someone please clarify!!!

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

2nd half of this year actually.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

MSDN and OEM/System builder editions are split with a seperate DVD for 32 and 64. Retail editions include both 32 and 64 bit editions.

21. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

I'm also curious about the 64 bit version.. I have a free upgrade voucher from when I bought my laptop, but they're giving me the 32 bit version and I bought a machine with a 64 bit processor.

22. sleepy71

sleepy71 New Member

Please don't laugh. Will Office '97 Pro run on Vista? I don't use my Office apps much, so I've never needed to upgrade.

23. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It should run but you might need to enable compatibility mode for XPSP2 and check the "run as administrator" button. I remember Office 97 having some issues running under Win2k/XP when run as a non-admin and in Vista, even administrators normally run as non-admin.

24. sleepy71

sleepy71 New Member

It's running fine right now under XP/SP2, w/ Admin. I don't think I've tried it as non-Admin.

25. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

I just installed vista ultimate, how do i use the aero features?
    How do i enable them or whatever i need to do to access aero period.
    Right now it just loaded up with the basic functions