GUN FAO: Spyder; my new boot knife

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kellyclan, Oct 12, 2003.

1. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3.5" wharncliff blade, 440C steel, linen micarta scales. About 7.25" OAL, and 3/8" thick. i can only hope to learn to put an edge on like this, razor is an understatement, it approaches scapel sharp. :eek3: i was dubious i'd get much more than occasional use out of a non-serrated blade, but this thing is so sharp, i've started reaching for it all the time. It has made short, EFFORTLESS work of plastic caps, nylon ties, denim jeans, a pair of Nike basketball shoes and a seatbelt. (Ok, didn't need cutting, but the car was totalled anyway, figured i'd try it. :o )

Made by a guy named Matt Shade that i found over on the Bladeforums.com makers corner. i can give you his email if you want to ask him if he can do a piece to your own specs, this beauty was only $50. :cool: The sheath is very functional, but a little rough on assembly/appearance. In all fairness, it's only the second kydex sheath he did, but it does the job, so i'm more than happy. :wiggle:

And it's sitting with the 1911 for proof that ivory grips + blued gun = teh win! :big grin:

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

3. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

:bigthumb: nice knife, nice 1911 damn kellyclan you got good taste my friend

4. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

damn, thats a nice 1911.

5. Azn_Bok_Choy

Azn_Bok_Choy Guest

6. Gullanian

Gullanian Guest

Why do you want a knife.

7. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

BAN!!!1

8. Gullanian

Gullanian Guest

Cant someone just answer me, why is a knife desireable

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

To..cut..things :ugh:

10. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

for people who into hunting,fishing,camping,military use ect,
    are you that ignorent? :squint:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  11. Gullanian

Gullanian Guest

No its pointless. Why would anyone want to own a combat knife. To spread marmite on their sandwitches? I doubt it. Maybe some more of this 'protection'

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i, for one, use my kershaw at work all the time. it's funny, but i still haven't developed the ability to cut cardboard boxes with my teeth or fingernails. since my knife has an assisted opening, it's very easy to use while holding something in the other hand.

my ka-bar, which i guess you would call a "combat knife" stays in my truck, attached to the door handle, as a last resort until i get my carry permit in a year.

and to gullanian, eat shit, petercheeks.

13. kellyclan

That's not a combat knife. It is a utility knife.

14. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Indeed.

That Kydex sheath doesnt look that bad, especially for a somewhat prototype.

Was that 50 bucks for the knife AND the sheath? Or just the knife alone?

15. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

let us know how long the edge holds. i'm not much on straight edges, but it's cheap, and effective. a larger version of it would be fantastic. like maybe a 5" blade or so.

16. kellyclan

$5 for the sheath :o :o

You can actually buy a kydex sheath kit from www.knifekits.com and make your own. Apparently, its not terribly difficult to make something workable. i'm gonna try it. :cool:

This blade was fairly cheap because its a simple design and 440C isn't a really high grade steel. It's durable and holds a good edge though, just fine for a beater utility blade.

17. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Damn, thats pretty neat. Im going to order some and make something cool. like a cell phone holster or something, hehe. :bigthumb:

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Let me know how that kydex DIY kit goes, I've quite a few knives I've got around that could use a better sheath. I wish I had some more pics from OIF, I should have kept my flak and gear the way I had them out there, you would have gotten a kick out of it.