SRS Family and Business...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bella, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Bella

Bella New Member

I am a make up artist and I do freelance make up for Weddings, proms, balls, events in general.

My aunt asked me to do make up for her son upcoming wedding, I was honored at this and said yes and gave her my pricing. I also gave her a considerable discount as well.
    My reg pricing is 95 for bride including rehearsal dinner, and 60 per additional person. For testing makeup application (to see if they like my work) it's 100 kit fee if they dont like me and it's FREE if they do so I know that I'm not wasting my time. For my family I did Bride at 75 and each additional person is 40 bucks. IF you even go to a mall min you pay is 50 per person and you have to pay for the EVERY application. You dont get free time to test it out it costs 50 everytime and then additional money for the actual day of the event. She also came to me because the other prices that she was quoted was "outrages" and I know that she came to me cause I'd give her a deal of sorts.

( this Aunt is also not well liked by my mother, uncle T, and grandparents, she used to be this all family love person, until my Uncle F came into some money. Now she's this rich chick who doesn't work, nice house, travels the world, and we are beneath her attitude. We deal because we adore my Uncle F)

So I sent her an email telling her my prices and she forwarded them on to the bride ( my cousins fiancee) I met up with her a couple weeks later to do makeup application beforehand so I know exactly what they like/want so the day of the wedding I can just knock em out. We went over prices again and she wrote me a deposit for 4 out of the 10 girls I'm doing make upfor.

Forward onto yesterday.. it's my mothers birthday as with my grandmothers birthday we're talking casually and I bring up that I haven't been able to get ahold of the bride to do her side of the family and we need to get together really soon.(wedding is Sept 5th) I tell her I can't meet her(aunt) the last weekend of August because I'm moving into a house so I'll be busy that week but I'm free up till the last week of August. Right off the bat my Aunt says "well if you can't make time to meet her cause of your house then let me know so we can find someone else!" Tell her thats not what I said, just that I need to her to call me so we can get together for her family beforehand thats not a problem.

she then tells me that the email I sent her about my prices were not what we has discussed at the first meet up. She said that I had told her in my email that I would do make up on all the women/girls for BOTH rehearsal dinner and wedding. I tell her no I didnt say that in the email and I explain the Bride is included in the price but each additional person will be 40 extra. Doing 10 women/girls for a rehearsal dinner and wedding is doing 20 for half price! This would not be something that I agreed to or wrote in the inital email. I stated the prices and then the bride that included rehersal. She says since I didn't specify in the email I should do all 10 women for rehearsal andwedding EVEN THOUGH.. we went over it together for the first make up application specifying everything before starting. Now she's telling me the girls I did the first day wont be getting make up now so basically I wasted my time doing their make up. (Mind you.. all of this is in front of our family on my mothers birthday and grandmothers birthday) She goes on how I'm ruining her name for suggesting me and so on if I'm not going to honor my intial email. I told her pricing and specified the rest when we all go together and we were all in agreeance. I tell her I"m not going to discuss this further in front of family and it's highly uncomfortable when you are trying to attack me into something I didn't agree too in front of our family, and I walk outside to the porch to calm down.

So now I feel like not even doing it at all. I'm pissed off and I would never agree to do what she's saying because thats A LOT of work. each person is 45 min... I would never state I'd do everyones make upfor a rehearsal dinner and the wedding. I'd be losing out on money and time. because I didn't specify "Only the bride" in the email ( when I thought it was pretty obvious) she wants me to do everyone. I figure give her money back (deposit was 195) and find someone else. I didn't think I'd have to draw up a contract for family for the pricing and everything.
    She gave me attitude right off the bat about the last week of august (which I can't change due to moving). I simply asked her to speak with the bride since I can't get ahold of her for the rest of her family. So threatening to find another person based on that is crazy and trying to get free make up on other stuff. I dont feel like doing it and hell she can try and find a place that will do it for less than what I'm providing. I'm takin a hit and giving a discount on top of meeting her and all the party at their homes without charging. (they are appox 60 miles from me) I dont however want to have bad blood with the family either so I'm kinda stuck.

ok ok I'm goin on but I'm upset and babbeling.

What should I do?

Cliffs: Hookin up family with a make up deal, trying to change the pricing on me when I'm already hooken her up, threatening going to someone else, I wanna just cancel the whole deal then, but I dont want bad blood.

2. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

If you worded the email to your aunt the way you worded your fees here, I can see where your aunt made the mistake. I thought each additional person included rehearsal dinner as well.

That said, if you discussed rates when you met with the bride, and she agreed to them, then you aren't suddenly upping your rates on them. I would try to deal directly with the bridge (why don't you have her phone number?) and leave the aunt out of things, except for whatever is necessary.

3. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Even if you do it for what you want its going to be painful dealing with her. I would tell her to fuck off.

4. Bella

Bella New Member

yea, I can see where it got a little confusing and I acknowledged it to her during the conversation yesterday. We did meet bride, aunt, brides mom, and sister about a month ago and I broke it down verbally to which all agreed. I'm just now hearing the problem she had now. Nothing was said a month ago well after the email was sent. I'm doing this whole wedding for less than 400 bucks when normally its around 800+. My issue is before this argement happened, when I initally asked her if she's talked to the bride, she threatened my job if I wasn't available all month long in august period. I have tried to contact the bride through phone, email, even myspace to no success. So when I saw my aunt I was just hoping she can pass along info since they see each other close to everyday planning this thing.

5. Bella

Bella New Member

Yea, she's just painful in general and most of my family dispise her. I'm just dreading the whole thing.

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

then you've done what you can. You have the deposit, and if it all falls through, I wouldn't return it. You've informed her that you'll be unavailable on a certain weekend, but available otherwise. That's fair, and if she can't tolerate that, then she can go pay another makeup artist their 'outrageous' fees, plus its likely that she's powerplaying and won't, since you are likely far cheaper

7. Bella

Bella New Member

SO this is what I sent in email to my Aunt...

Auntie,
    I don't want there to be any bad blood between us due to misunderstanding at all. I'd like to see the email so I can see what was written. I believe I wrote the prices and bridal price throwing the rehearsal for free. I can see how it got misinterpreted into everyone not just her and when we spoke in person I explained the pricing and details and felt we were all on the same level.
    My reg pricing are as follows 95 for the bride, 60 per per additional. Trial fee is 150 for application on practice (since I use all my private makeup along with driving), free if a decision is made to go with myself. The prices for you when we spoke in person are 75 bride including rehearsal dinner, 40 additional person. If this is something we can come to agreement to that's awesome, if not I understand and you have time to go with someone else.

Again, the last week in August I am unavailable due to moving, but can any other time of the month for her side.My availability is very open other than that week, I feel that it is fair and gives enough time to plan a day beforehand.Being told that you needing to look for someone else because of my unavailability that last week was unnecessary.I have lowered my pricing for the family but will not be taken advantage of because it wasn't spelled out in meticulous detail in an email, even though we spoke in person and were in all on the same page. I wish I would have known about these issues as soon at it became questionable. So we all could have spoken on this a month ago when it came up. As I stated before, If bride, her mom and you feel you need to go elsewhere I wish you all the best and will offer up your deposit. I love you, and the rest of the family and I know maybe next time not mix business with family.I don't want this disagreement to be tension issue every time our families get together.

Speaking like that in front of our family was inappropriate and embarrassing. It made everyone uncomfortable and I do not want that to happen again. So we can work this out privately and I need to speak with Bride about all this. I have tried contacting her through email, chat, etc.

So sooner the better with the email so we can plan accordingly.
    Me

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

sounds good to me

9. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I would simply say that I am not available and I am not willing for this to come between family.

I really have no time for BS from family when it comes to them twisting words to get their own way.

10. Bella

Bella New Member

Yea honestly I never really talk to her so I just dont care. Her words bothered me but they are in their own little world.

I sent the email to my aunt and she just responded that she agreed that mixing business with family wasn't a good idea, and that we should just end it.. no hard feelings. To which i just said sounds good.

I got a email back finally from the bride (took3 weeks) and she was saying that "from the tone of my email it's best to part ways" which that pissed me off. The email I sent her was just to get with her fam so we can set a time because closer to the wedding the more stressful it is and I didn't want her to be stressed of make up. She told me it was poorly handled on my part and should not have blown up like it had....

Ummm Bitch I tried contacting you several times.. you didn't contact me at all. My aunt (not bride) brought up payment issues a month after blindsiding me at my mothers bday. I handled everything professionally, tried contacting numerous times, and if there was an issue in the beginning I should have been contacted asap. I told her that it was sloppy communication I tried on my end and with her being the bride should have contacted me asap. It could have totally been worked out but to send my aunt on the attack was uncalled for. She wasn't even there! She heard one side and I'm sure it was heavily exaggerated.

SO anyways... I am NOT doing the wedding and I really honestly dont want to go at all. I am not a person that can fake my feeling very well... I'll be honest and I'm pretty pissed off to be taken advantage of like this. To act all happy and good and fake it to the bride and my aunt just makes me uncomfortable and like I'm throwing my dignity out the window, but I love my cousin. I'll just steer clear I guess.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  11. 7960

7960 New Member

call her and say "these are my prices, these are my terms. let me know if you want me to return the deposit. if not, then have the bride call me because we need to (blah blah blah)" then say "thanks" and hang up. DO NOT get in another conversation. set the terms, then put the ball's in her court.

she was trying to bully you in front of family. good for your for not taking the bait.

this woman is a douche, and you can expect that if you do this, you MUST collect all the money before you do the work. if you show up to do the make-up and she tries to scam you with "I'm too busy to write a check, I'll get you after the wedding" you will never be paid.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

she's a douche, too.

apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

so don't.

mail a card with $20 in it and go have a beer with friends.

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Keep the deposit, IMO. They broke the contract, not you

14. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

If it were me I'd say fuck it and give her money back tell her good luck finding someone to do it cheaper. Some people with a little bit of money are the cheapest fucks on the planet

15. Bella

Bella New Member

Yea, I feel really bad for my cousin with this bride of his and mom. He's prolly been together with this girl less than 9 months. (he's in Iraq) I think the only reason they are getting married is because the only way they can be together is if they are married. She gets school he gets the poon.

Anyways it's over I talked to my mom and she missed out on most of it since she was outside. She made me feel alot better that she backed me

16. 7960

7960 New Member

be happy that your mom backed you, but also be proud that you stood up for yourself. it would have been easy to let your aunt bully you into doing the work for cheap (or free). but you were strong in your convictions........not many people would have done that because it's the hard thing to do.

congratulations.

17. Bella

Bella New Member

Thanks! :wiggle: