Fallout 3 and Oblivion

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Boomdart, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

So I've been playing Fallout 3 again, fuck I love this game. I'm at level 20 now with a pretty badass gunfighter, with the highest positive karma I've ever had (trying to do all optionals and be ultra super nice everyone, haven't done that before) and trying to uncover the map. I got the explorer perk so all locations are marked, but that kind of ruined it really... now I know whats out there it just doesn't seem as fun to journey to them. I don't have any quests anymore except finding dad, wondering where I can pick up more. I saved tennpenny from the ghouls but no one seems to have anything all that interesting to say or talk about. I guess the only way to get the room there is to blow up megaton (one bad ass explosion if you haven't seen it) :dunno: Found lamplight, arefu, big town. Didn't spend much time at lamplight, fuck those kids.

But Oblivion, I tried playing this when it first came out and played a few different characters until I got vampired...but I never got into it. Its so damned boring and the controls/menus are so damned clunky, I wish I had the console version. The game doesn't work well with the 360 controller at all and you still have to use the mouse to click stuff. Fallout 3 has an option for xbox 360 controller, and it works perfectly. I only wish it was this way in oblivion, I couldn't find a mod to get it to work either.

I like the Fallout 3 pc version the best, while in the game I'm currently playing I've only used it to unlock two doors in other games you can do all kinds of stuff with random console commands, like resurrect, unlock, kill, uhm... i guess thats about it I dunno but resurrecting the same guy and killing them over and over for xp and ammo/equip (they usually come back to life with the same stuff, sometimes different than before you killed them) is pretty ftw. Plus it looks better on the PC, running at 1680x1050 everything maxed ftw. I could definably use more memory or my video card is dying because sometimes it'll bog down and just crash :squint: Happens about an hour into playing usually. Dunno whats wrong with it/my computer. (q6600, 4gb ram, 9800gt)

2. somethingstrang

somethingstrang Active Member

I liked both, but oblivion was better for me. Why would you not play them with just mouse and keyboard? That's the superior way to play in any first person game.

3. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

Did you try using this site? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout_3
    There are some mad spoilers. But if you need some tips, everything you possibly need to know is there.

I am currently on 150 hours on mine. I have been slowly working on it since launch. I just started Mothership Zeta and I am not sure I want the game to end :hs: I have so much stuff hoarded for nothing :rofl:

4. Noel

Noel New Member

What am i missing about oblivion?

I only have the 360 version, but I just can't get into the game at all. The controls are really annoying so I downloaded morrowind on PC but I couldn't even do that for more than 20 mins.

Loved fallout though. Dunno what the deal is.

5. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

i'm in the same boat

6. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

Did you mod Oblivion?

DarNified UI makes the ui better for PC users

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10763

and there are a shit ton of overhaul mods that are completely top notch. Plus if you are really into exploring, download a mod that takes off fast travel and just go explore. The stuff to explore in Oblivion > FO3.

But for any Bethesda game, the mods are what makes the game complete and utterly awesome.

7. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

Get FOOK2 for FO3 if you are going to play it again. It is the beta but if it is the only mod you use it should be pretty stable.

http://www.fookunity.com/fook2/

8. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

i just started playing oblivion last week. how the fuck do you level? been playing for a couple hrs....still lvl 1

9. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

You increase 5 of your major skills i believe, then sleep in a bed for an hour or more and when you awake you level up

10. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

the fucking ghey? gonna be more difficult than i thought. too bad it's not more like FO3, just based upon experience pts.

11. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

Oblivion is incredible, although only if it modded. Its a great game without mods though.

12. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

A little spoiler

Kill an innocent person away from a city, or in a place where you can get away with it and see who comes to visit you next time you go to sleep. Best quest line ever. It's pretty :hs: too

13. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

sleepting is like waiting, you press the button and pick 1-24 hours on the slider and it takes a second to go one hour. So it is not literally one hour :rofl:

14. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I've looked at a lot of mods, but I really don't care about having dancing naked chicks in moriorty's saloon or a better pip-boy.

I want mods that add new quests and towns and shit, I know they're out there, I've seen them...but they're all like, german made and aren't in english if you go there :o

Yeah, I took the time to look through the billions of mods there are (exaggerated) but none of them really seem like they'd make the game any better...these are the mods I've installed for oblivion, although I'm heavily debating installing a mod that changes the way you level up/whatever. The whole leveling system is totally fucked in oblivion and I think that's what disturbs me the most.

Horse Armor Pack, Mehrunes Razor, Orrery, Spells tomes, Thieves Den, Vile Lair, Wizards Tower, Fighters Stronghold

Dot. Fucking gay, what happened to experience points? Why'd they leave that out? It's supposed to be an RPG.

I'm sorry but I'm a bit intoxicated right now. I googled the mod to see what's on it and theres a huge list, anything in particular that stands out that I should like the most? I'm pretty much satisfied with everything Fallout 3 has to offer except the limited number of quests I seem to be coming up with. I just went to the mirelurk king's place and can't figure out how to open the front damn door :squint:

15. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Surely not a spoiler by now...

But I saved a game right before I pulled the trigger to megaton's explosion at tennpenny tower.

Holy fuck, that is so fucking awesome. At first when I was walking away from megaton I was like "I should see it explode anytime soon." I didn't know you were supposed to get back to tennpenny to activate the detonator, I had no idea the explosion would be that huge :o

you can youtube I bet, but I won't post it just incase it might be a slight spoiler...we all know you can do that like, 40 minutes into the game lol..

16. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

Its a compilation of mods, but it makes enemies tougher, adds 100s of new weapons and armor pieces, new enemies, and alot of little tweaks that are really too numerous to type out. Even the people in charge are still working on an entire list of mods they have included. I would never play FO3 without this mod again though.

I am currently downloading it now :bowdown: I had the old version which still kicked ass

17. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Noice.

If I install this, do I have to start a new game or can I just jump right in on my old saves?

Not too worried about my system bogging down during play, on Ultra High settings it runs a bit slow (like when I go into Vats it takes like 4 seconds to get to where I can choose what to shoot at), but on just plain High it looks just as good as runs slick as two snails fuckin in a barrel of snot.

I use vats like crazy because I use my 360 controller, and I just can't get the hang of aiming that well with a joystick. I do oftentimes switch to keyboard layout if theres lots of enemies, I just can't aim fast enough with the controller.

18. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

What is wrong with the leveling system? You pick some major skills, you use your major skills and the bar increases until that major skill levels up. Once a major skill has leveled up 5 times, or once you have leveled up 5 major skills it says you should rest and meditate or something. Go find a bed, sleep for 1 hour, and voila you pick some attributes to increase.

The mods you included are official ones. I suggest OOO to start with, but just browse this site for the highest rated ones, read what they do and decide if you want that.

http://www.tesnexus.com/

OOO http://www.oscurogamedesign.com/down-game-ooo-high.html

One mod I love is called Deadly Reflex, it makes melee combat harder and adds a new sheild bash/punch attack that you or the NPCs can use that can stagger the opponent and a kick and dodge move. The NPCs can use all these moves too. It also includes decapitations, dismemberment, and a bunch of other cool kill effects.

[y]jcsbyXh-9MA[/y]

19. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

It is reccomended you start a new game, but I "think" you can just enter a house that no one is in and rest for 4 days and that will reset the world. I would start a new game though because the game is alot different even if only slight changes were made here and there.

20. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

I just need to reinstall FO3, but I do want to play oblivion so bad :mamoru:

21. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I'll check it out.

I really want to get into Oblivion, it has tons of reasons to do so...I just can't get over the menus, lack of 360 controller support, and the pos third person view.

The main story line sucks, though. Every oblivion gate you go into is like, the exact same with the same exact guys everywhere.

I remember the first three characters I made, I thought I was progressing on the story but had apparently not even begun it :o Then I started it, more gates started popping up...but it was always the same like 6 towers you had to climb and traverse to get some shit and close it.

Noted, I'll probably get into this tomorrow. About to the point I need to pass out right now :o

22. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

Just as a example, my last game of FO3 I had 60 some mods running and for oblivion I had about 120 mods running all that once with few errors.

23. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

Vanilla Oblivion is meh. But once you add mods like FCOM etc. or the top mods on dev_akm's site, it becomes the best game ever - gameplay and graphics wise.

24. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

The first time I installed it I got the upgraded textures mod, I wasn't all that impressed by the graphics at first but after the huge texture mod you can download it made the game look absolutely amazing, aside from the fact that for some reason everyone in my game had a beard.

I have all the fixes now though, no one has beards anymore which is a huge improvement :o

25. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

Don't like first person view? These games were made for first person to immerse you into the world as much as possible.

yea it does, but the main story line is like 10% of what is available. Honestly though, coming from someone who thinks this is the greatest game ever modded and has put over 300 hours into it on multiple characters and still hasn't done everything there is to do, the best thing imo is to start the game and as soon as you exit the sewer just explore and pick up quests as you go along. Leave the main story line alone until you are bored or really want to do it. There is an incredible amount of content just waiting to be found. Plus the oblivion gates never show up until you to go kvatch anyway.