Fall of Microsoft/Rise of Linux?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hypno toad, Apr 30, 2007.

?

Do you think microsoft OS will be replaced as Major OS in the Market?

1. Yes. Window OS is coming to an End.

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No. The best is yet to come.

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
  3. It is going to be close between Windows OS and Another OS.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. Hypno toad

Hypno toad Guest

2. INFERNO2K

INFERNO2K Made in China

Microsoft is going more open source.

There is a major trend of cross hybrid open/closed source projects going on. IBM etc

http://www.codeplex.com/
    Microsoft's open source project hosting web site.

I see more Open source, linux in microsoft's future

3. Ruede

Ruede New Member

will not be replaced. m$ still has XP on the market.

4. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Microsoft = 92% of OS market share and rising.
    Mac OS = 3.8% of OS market share and falling.
    Linux = 0.6% of OS market share

Nope, I seriously don't see it happening.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i have a feeling ms is gonna do what osx did, go off a linux based os and release their next version like that.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

No see the problem with Linux for the average user is that when things go wrong...they are clueless as to how to fix them. Even techies find it very difficult to solve some problems in Linux. This IMO causes people to give up and just go back to something they know better.....like Windows.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have been hoping for YEARS that MS would go to a *nix base. Apple has proven that basing your back-end on *nix can still be quite profitable. And releasing minor OS kernel improvements (mach and Darwin) back as open source will comply with BSD/GPL licenses without compromising profits. The front-end GUI is still closed-source.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're articles are absolute crap. The first one is over a year old, and simply pokes fun at the OS's failure to meet a deadline. Big deal. No one fucking cares.

The second article is mad at Microsoft for caring about piracy. Yea, someone is stealing their shit and I'm gonna write an article bashing them for trying to protect it :ugh2:

The last article is the worst of the three. It says that MS is going to fail. Not for any specific or particularly good reason... But simply because it exists, and therefore must fail. Wonderful attitude. They claim that MS is too big and will crush itself with the weight of it's own infastructure. They claim that any company of that size will be too lethargic to react positively to market changes. wtf? Have they never heard of IBM? They're 10x bigger than Microsoft, and they have proven to have one of the most adaptable infastructures. They have the business-sense to know when to simply push through bad times (and the bankroll to actually support it), and they have the knack to sense when times are changing and to flow with the market.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yep, Vista is such a failure and Microsoft is so doomed...
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6179605.html

10. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Linux will never hit mainstream with the home PC market. Sorry. I wouldn't use Windows on my web servers, and I wouldn't use Linux on home desktop.

11. Hypno toad

Hypno toad Guest

i was simply asking a question.

12. Hypno toad

Hypno toad Guest

notice the QUESTION MARK!!! at the end of my original statement

13. Coottie

lol welcome to OT...better thicken up that hide of yours if you want to last.

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Every year in the last decade was "supposed" to be the year for "Linux on the desktop", well this is the year we got Dell scrambling to get it onto their desktops.

When I think about Ubuntu in particular (nevermind SUSE, Fedora, etc)... is it even three years old yet? Imagine what they'll be able to put out in the next 3 years (like, 6 releases away). Microsoft might have Vista+1 out by that time, or they might have fixed Vista, either way they need to be getting very very busy. I wouldn't doubt their abilities though. Until this day being so sucky has been very profitable for them, as a company they were very much on form with their shitty Windows 95, Vista, whatever, releases.

One thing I can be pretty sure of is that I'll hardly be going back to Windows. It was the untechnical differences that got me intrigued in GNU/Linux, but there is a huge technical gap which makes me look at Windows with little but distaste. A lot of people will get it too if Microsoft don't pull up their socks (a lot of people doesn't have to be 500 million, btw. The GNU/Linux community is more than sustainable as it is, anyhow).

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well hardware comes into play, too. I would be running linux 100% right now if it wern't for drivers. I have a M-Audio FW-410 that I need to use, and there is zero *nix support for it. Lame.

16. morgue

morgue New Member

Other systems will grow but if Microsoft keeps up with their advertisement then they'll be just fine.

17. gnp

gnp New Member

this again.

18. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

And they've got the ball rolling. http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dell-to-offer-ubuntu
    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/01/13147.aspx

And they're also offering XP instead of Vista. One step backwards for MS, and forwards for GNU/Linux. It could be the step that makes GNU/Linux's year on the desktop actually happen. Just the fact that it got so much demand, is amazing.

19. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:rofl: Because the average user knows how to fix things in Windows? :bowrofl:

20. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

It's billions of times easier to find someone who can fix things in Windows for most people. Millions of people out there can just about treat malware problems of millions of more-clueless users.

The part I disagree with is "Even techies find it very difficult to solve some problems in Linux" what the hell? What kinda problems? Making Windows programs run?

The only things I've ever found dodgy in GNU/Linux are things that are dodgy because of the likes of Microsoft (in the case of being compatible with MS products) and other software and hardware companies working hard to make things difficult for the GNU/Linux developers.

Given it's insane flexibility outside this bullshite, I can't see where "Even techies find it very difficult to solve some problems in Linux" is coming from at all.

21. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

The problems under linux that are hard to solve are getting hardware with closed APIs to work. The major problem with linux is that everybody is on board with microsoft. Everybody writes drivers for windows. The ones that do write linux drivers often half-ass them, leaving out functionality that you have in windows, and leaving out the configuration software that's bundled with the windows drivers, so users are left to poke around in cryptic text files, changing settings here and there in an attempt to get it working the way they need it.

The linux OS is awesome. Nothing is more flexible and robust. The only problem is the need for reverse-engineered drivers.

22. Coottie

Specifics problems?? I can't remember...it's been too long but back when I was starting to mess with linux, I got a friend who's a programmer and has a CS degree to try and help me. We spent hours upon hours trying to get RH 6 up and running. Simply by installing we could get it functional but we had major problems trying to get a NIC installed, trying to get certain settings set up properly and stuff like that.

Oh I remember a specific one....about a year ago while working on my Ubuntu box, I installed some network software....can't remember the name. I was using the Synaptic Package Manager and it installed without a hitch but all of a sudden my NIC would become deselected. After deleting the program, this problem still persists.

What happens is that anytime I boot the machine, my NIC (eth0) is selected and I'm able to surf the net just fine. However, about 1 minute after booting, my NIC is no longer selected and I have to open up the Networking Window and reselect it. This happens everytime I boot but once I reselect it...it stays selected.

I've posted all over the Ubuntu forums and I may have even posted here. If anyone had a suggestion, it didn't fix the issue. I've gone back to school to get a CS degree and I've spent a little time trying to figure this out but I don't really know how/where to start solving this issue.

Remember, everything is easy when you know how to do it.

So you've never run into issues that you couldn't solve....great. I wish I could say the same.

23. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I never voted in the poll, I'm just confident that a new force is coming to town.

There's the point that Dell are shipping Ubuntu, and why they are doing so - because of an amazing amount of demand. Sun released Java under the GPL. AMD announced today that they're going to deliver open graphics drivers for GNU/Linux. http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/05/09/amd-will-deliver-open-graphics-drivers/ - Because they want to get along with this powerful force.

And it will be a great helping hand. As long as the licensing conditions are right, and I'm sure they will be - even Sun don't fuck that much up in 2007, GNU/Linux operating systems will be able to support, brilliantly one can expect, all of AMD/ATi's graphics cards. Out of the box. Without including non-free software. With a level of support not possible today.

How long it'll take Nvidia to catch up I believe is the next question.

I think it's unwise to suggest that GNU/Linux and free software won't be competing to a much higher degree in the desktop world in the future - near future even, with Joe Average users.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have done a few drivers, in thet past. I even looked heavily into doing this wth the M-Audio FW410. However, the more I researched it, the more I realized that it would be extremely difficult without inside help from MAudio (and when they don't answer emails, that avenue really dark, really fast)

The FW410 needs THREE things. First a driver to interface to the device. Relatively eay. Unfortunatly it doesn't get you very far. Now you must flash a bootstrap to the device. This is very difficult without knowing what exactly it needs. I can't just probe the device because without the firmware, it doesn't do jack shit. And for one reason or another, MAudio designed it to store the bootstrap in RAM and it is lost anytime you powercycle the device. Once the bootstrap runs and loads the firmware, then the driver can interface the device to the machine.

I'm not good enough to do that blind.

25. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

...M-Audio's fault. With that kernel group offering free driver development for hardware companies (signing NDAs and the fucking works)...AHH.

Hopefully they'll cop on like AMD did. But honestly AMD didn't cop on. They sorted out what they think will be more profitable for them.