Failure vs energy?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Spaulding Smails, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaulding Smails

Spaulding Smails Real Estate Guru

Question: Say you are doing a chest workout. You want to do flat bench, incline, maybe decline, flys, and triceps to end it.

Do you seperate your major compound lifts with other exercises so you have more energy for the next compound lift. i.e. Flat, weighted ab crunches (insert other body part exercise), then incline.

or do you go straight from flat to incline in order to induce failure as quickly as possible.

I guess it somewhat depends on the workout. I am used to doing all my compound lifts sequentially to induce failure, then i do my single joint burnouts at the end. The guys i work out with have a routine that alternates body part exercises (leg vs upper body) so that you have time to regain energy for the next compound lift...

i.e. Flat, deadlift, incline.

Curious on peoples thoughts... I've always had my best gains going to absolute failure.

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

no.

read pur's/noquarter's post.. if you need to knock down the weight, knock it down. get the blood to volumize your muscles. drop sets, giant sets.. cant do the weight you started at? cut it in half and do twice as many reps.

flat, incline, flys, dips - if u wanna throw a quick set of abs in between just to catch your breath, do so..but dont let your muscles deflate in between.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I quickly become overtrained and stop gaining results when I go to failure on every set....

4. Spaulding Smails

:cool:

thanks

5. Spaulding Smails

i get to failure on the last set usually.. and i add weight in a bell curve...start out light.. by 3rd set im at my heaviest, then i back down a bit on the 4th set to get to failure with a reasonable amount of reps.

6. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

Agreed.

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I didnt mean every set... I meant every exercise.

Back when I first started training, I'd take chest to failure on like 5-6 different exercises then hit tris/bis. My noob gains took over and I still noticed results, but it wasn't optimal for me. My strength and size has skyrocketed since I got my training in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.