failure rate: 360=23.7%, PS3=10%, Wii=2.7%

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by georgexi, Sep 3, 2009.

1. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

thoughts? i was surprised to hear 10% for PS3. wii is least played of the three consoles :mamoru:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6216691.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

Hot on the heels of a controversial Game Informer survey comes a new study that also pegs the Xbox 360 as the least reliable console on the market. Electronics-warranty company SquareTrade has issued a survey of 16,000 game consoles it serviced from the second quarter of 2007 to the first quarter of 2009. The report analyzed approximately 2,500 PlayStation 3s, 2,500 Xbox 360s and 11,000 Wiis selected at random. (The company found Wii owners much more likely to buy warranties.) All consoles had been purchased new and had not been damaged by their owners.
    As with the Game Informer study, SquareTrade found that the Xbox 360's failure rate was far higher than its rivals. Some 23.7 percent of those surveyed failed within two years of purchase: 12 percent from the infamous "Red Ring of Death" and 11.7 percent from other problems, including the "E74" error. Both problems are covered by the 360's three-year manufacturer's warranty, which the company began offering in 2007 for a cost of over $1 billion.

[​IMG]Historically, the 360 is more than twice as likely to fail as its rivals.

By contrast, the study found 10 percent of PlayStation 3s surveyed failed within two years of purchase, as did 2.7 percent of Wiis. However, SquareTrade pointed out an April survey by media-research firm Nielsen that concluded the Wii is the least played of the three major consoles, being used for only 516 minutes per month. By contrast, the Xbox 360 is played over twice as much (1,191 minutes per month), with the PS3 lagging slightly behind it (1,053 minutes per month).
    Also to its credit, SquareTrade released a timeline for Xbox 360s that failed in their first year. Up until 2007, the 360 "Xenon" and "Zephyr" models were equipped with a 90nm-process CPU and GPU that generated considerable heat--a likely culprit in the still officially unexplained Red Ring of Death failures. Their replacement, called "Falcon," was released in the fourth quarter of 2007 with a cooler 65nm-process CPU and a 90nm GPU, several months after the launch of the Xbox 360 Elite.
    However, the Falcon introduction had an adverse immediate effect, with the first two quarters of 2008 seeing first-year 360 failures spike to 10 percent. However, the study points out that a sell-off of older consoles in the fourth quarter of 2007, which then met their maker the following year, could also be a factor.

[​IMG]Since Q3 2008, first-year 360 failure rates have plummeted.

Fortunately, SquareTrade found that Xbox 360 quality has improved dramatically since the third quarter of 2008, shortly before the 65nm CPU/GPU "Jasper" model was introduced. Since then, first-year failure rates have plummeted to below the 4 percent the company projected. Looking at 500 units purchased in 2009, SquareTrade found that less than 1 percent had suffered the Red Ring of Death.
    SquareTrade's analysis of recently purchased 360s appears to back up statements made by Xbox 360 and Xbox Live director of product management Aaron Greenberg. In an interview with GameSpot just before the Xbox 360 Elite $299 price drop, the executive said that Microsoft has made great improvements in the console's quality control.
    "I think we've made it clear we stand by the quality of our product, and we will make it right by fixing the problem at no extra cost to you," declared Greenberg. "But at the same time, we've been working hard to make improvements in the products we're currently making, so I really feel like most of this is well behind us."

2. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

:rofl: at the 2009 stats... of course more havent failed yet, its not even been a year.

3. Lunacriss

Lunacriss it took so long to remember just what happened

no way that ps3's are failing at ~50% the rate of 360's

i know tons of people personally who have had their 360s brick

was this survey funded by microsoft?

4. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

yeah, i find that odd i wont lie. they really musta found some 2500 bad ps3s or something :mamoru:

5. Dox

Dox Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey. You've probably never

THIS IS THE END OF THE 360!

sorry, just filling the void :wtc:

6. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

7. mdisen

mdisen OT Supporter

Didn't we already do one of these?

More anecdotal evidence. I knocked my Wii off a 3ish foot table onto a wood floor twice and it still functions perfectly.

8. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

23%?

More like 50% right? :hsugh:

9. SlowNegative

SlowNegative Her name is Rio

More like 100%. They all will fail.

10. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

Exactly. Sounds fishy, and i have a ps3 60 thats never hiccuped and been through 3 xboxes

Either way, 1 out of 10 failures :rofl: sounds fabricated.

Still better than 1 out of 4. :mamoru:

11. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

to start, i agree with everyone else that the PS3 % seems too high and the 360 % seems too low.

but perhaps MS is finally gettin it right with the Jaspers. most 360 deaths you hear about involve first generation xenon/zephyrs. even when you coffin it to MS, they just send you back another refurb xenon/zephyr so it's only inevitable the refurb will die again. so yeah the first 360's are POS hardware but what's the statistic on falcon/jasper deaths?

12. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Still waiting on the Valhalla chip. Last I heard anything was more than a year ago so I'm wondering if MS scrapped the Valhalla chip and the Opus chip.

13. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

so will 100% of all automobiles if you use them enough.

stop driving and fucking walk.

14. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I got a Jasper around the middle of June and it's been working real well for me so far. I hear those ones cleared up most of the issues people were having.

15. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

16. Sitch

Sitch New Member

I have had my launch 360 fail, my launch Wii fail, but my launch PS3 is still kicking strong. Im still surprised my refurb 360 is still running after all these years.

17. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

:rofl: @ wii is the least played out of the three systems. really? did you survey all 50 million wii owners or whatever there is now?

and even if that were true, outta the insane amount that they sold, only 2.7% fail. nintendo builds a quality machine.

18. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

this just proves how fucking made up (or seriously flawed) these % are :rofl: they change almost every day

19. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

Numbers are skewed probably cause most people send their 360's to MS when they get fucked instead of going to a 3rd party.

20. posey

posey the funniest things are said in the fewest words..

GameInformer has the failure rate for the 360 @ 54%, but only 4% said they wouldn't but a another xbox....

21. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

they havent been out long enough to rule out any problems left. give them a year and then we shall see

22. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

Xbox fails more cause people actually use it. :bowdown:

Blue ray don't put too much weight on the PS3.

23. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Then need todo a a failure rate to usage rate
    360 2 failures usage 94% Over 300 hours used
    ps3 0 failures usage 5% Maybe 50 max
    Wii 0 failures usage 1% 30ish hours

24. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

id hate to figure mine out then, 4 360s since launch, 1 ps3 since launch and the ps3 gets just as much if not more playtime than all the 360s combined

25. Mangina

Mangina New Member

The very first post mentions this.