failed the msf basic riders course today

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FusterCluck, Jul 18, 2006.

1. FusterCluck

FusterCluck omfg

:(

Today was my second day. Yesterday we just went over the questions that would be on our multiple choice test. Today we were going to do motorcycle exercises on a suzuki 250, then later today we we're going to go back to the classroom for more question review. Tomorrow was supposed to be a full day of motorcycle exercises from 7am to 6pm.

I did find up until 3 hours into the course when we had to ride the friction zone, then come around and shift into second, back to first, brake and then stop. I did fine shifting to second but I kept screwing up everything after that. The instructor suggested I take a private lesson ($70 on top of the $350 for the riders course) and then take the riders course again.

I can blame the screw up on the extremely hot weather but i've never had any experience on a motorcycle prior to today. :hsd:

I'm still thinking of whether I should take the private lesson and try all over again but I really got discouraged. Better there than on my own in public, though.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm ashamed to admit it but it happened. :hs:

EDIT: Update on pg.4 for those who care.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Sucks. It's hard to fail the MSF man. :hs:

Did they ask you to leave or just tell you that you weren't doing all that great?

3. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

wow..$350 for the course? that's steep.

better luck next time.

4. FusterCluck

FusterCluck omfg

that's why i'm discouraged. it's designed for a beginner and i managed to mess that up so i don't think i'm anywhere near ready.

5. Josepi

Josepi HA HA, I CHANGED MY AV

Yeah, both brakes + shift down + keeping straight + foot down wasn't the easiest to get down at first. :hs:

I won't mention my scores in this thread :o

6. Ricey McRicerton

Better to have failed that then to have dumped a new bike or gotten yourself seriously hurt trying to ride for real.

7. Josepi

Josepi HA HA, I CHANGED MY AV

I don't see how they told you to stop prior to the actual road test though...

8. FusterCluck

FusterCluck omfg

i was under the impression that they would take the time to show you how it's done so you get it but i guess they didn't feel the need to do that. different instructors do different things.

9. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

msf course was fun, my friend and I that took it together almost got kicked out for doing stoppies on the course during the panic braking section :o

10. Ricey McRicerton

:rofl:

There was one other guy who had any road time besides me and we both got the "questionable" bikes. I lost points for doing the big sweeping turn at the end too fast and I scraped the pegs.

11. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I already have my motorcycle endorsment, but I still want to take the course to learn some more stuff, especially the shifting part (I ride a 200cc scooter right now, looking to get on a H-D 883 Sportster sooner than later). Didn't do the test, just rode outlaw for a month or two, then took my riding test at the DMV. Only missed 1 question on the written, and got a perfect score on the riding part.

12. V!

V! New Member

ouch, that's a big price to pay, $350

I rode without a license till i turned 21 so i can bypass that horrible class all together

13. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

what did you do wrong ?

14. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

what about the shifting part that you want to know ?

15. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Been 10 years since I rode a bike with a manual transmission, all I remember is the clutch is the left hand lever, and the shifter is the left foot. Don't remember which direction on the shifter does what, and I would obviously be pretty rough on the clutch let-out. I mostly just need to practice it, and I'll probably just ask to borrow one of my step-dads bikes, it would be a lot cheaper than taking the course. Or just get a bike, and learn by riding it. Probably what I'll end up doing.

16. gyeagle1

gyeagle1 New Member

People like you shouldnt be allowed to operate a car never mind a motorcycle:x:

17. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

:stupid:

18. V!

V! New Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT A SECOND

You are trying to say the "extremely" hot weather made it hard for you to ride?

:ugh: x 11ty billion

19. FusterCluck

FusterCluck omfg

keep reading

20. balticmkiv

balticmkiv boostaholic OT Supporter

damn that sucks bro. I say if you really want to ride retake the class. Isnt it free or something if you dont pass the first time. I just took the msf class a few weeks ago and some lady dropped the bike and coolant was all over the place. They gave her another chance and they didnt boot her till she dropped another bike.

ps..damn 350 for the msf...it was only 200 for me

21. FusterCluck

FusterCluck omfg

it's free to take again if you'd like to. it's just a matter of shifting quickly and that's what got me thrown out. i'll take a lesson to get more familiar with the bike and then try again.

$350 was the highest i've ever seen the MSF course go for compared to other states and surrounding MSF schools (which were all too far for me to go to).

22. V!

V! New Member

Why don't you practice on a buddies bike or possibly ask if they can give you some time to tool around on the bike before you take the test?

23. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I cant believe they would toss you out for a simple shifting problem.

That seems a bit harsh to me. I mean, the whole idea is to familiarize yourself with a bike, and learn how to ride it proerply. Not click off downshifts like your name is Nicky Haden.

Just seems a bit strict to me for a BRC.

And $350 bones...damn man, that sucks ass. THe ones here in WA are $250, and the state subsidizes half of the course schedule, so you only have to pay $100 for the class.

I WANT to take the BRC, but unfortunately, if i signed up today, i wouldent be able to take the course untill late October...fuck that. To cold, to wet. So im going to go get my permit, then ride a friends bike, buy my own, then go take the DOT test, and come back next summer to take the BRC. Becuase i feel its MANDATORY for anyone considering to ride a motorcycle to take. And had i had the money at the time for sign up, i would have had it ready to go in September. But now i gotta wait.

24. Sean John

Sean John Guest

That sucks....My GF passed that and never rode a motorcycle in her life...only on the back...Oh well. Good luck next time

25. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

WOW,,,, I asked my Msf instructor (great guy) if he even failed anyone and he said he did once.. some young kid was up there with he parents he was 17 at the time, at the end of the test he was trying to impress people, lost control of the bike, fell off the bike, the bike kept going and crash in a ditch... he failed the kid, the day before my test he told us that someone hit the brakes too hard went over the handle bars but didn't get hurt. that person still passed.

I'm sorry to say but not to offend anyone, in my class we had a 45 year old lady the took that class and passed she only had problems with the figure 8.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006