Factory OrangePeel

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by feetball, Oct 14, 2007.

1. feetball

feetball New Member

Was detailing the truck yesterday and just got disgusted at the amount of orangepeel Ford put on this thing.

My question is, is it THAT hard to color sand and polish it out with a PC? I mean is this something that I could do (i'm very meticulous about my work) or should it be left to a pro?

Pro = never gonna get done
    Me = i'll work on a panel at a time eventually finishing.

2. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Thats a nice truck and i dont think its a good idea. Wetsanding out the orange peel will take out a good amount of clear in your paint, causing faster paint failure and also thinning out the paint can cause a bigger chnace of burning through the clear later on incase you want to buff a scratch out or something.

If you really must tho, its really up to you. Some advise is dont go all the way down until theres no orange peel left, just skim some off to reduce it... try your best not to get carried away. And no, you cannot polish it out with a pc.. well you could, but it would take forever and ever and later on, you'll probably see some spots in the light that you have missed.. the clarity wont be that sharp either. Getting it done by a pro would be my best choice.. if you must!

3. Untow Bo

Untow Bo New Member

Modern clearcoat paint jobs have UV inhibitors in the first few microns of clear. Wetsanding removes some or all of these inhibitors, accelerating oxidation, paint fade and possibly clearcoat failure. Doing this work without a paint thickness gauge on hand is very unwise.

It might be OK if this is a show truck that gets driven few miles and rarely sees the elements. For a daily driver its best to maintain paint integrity and just live with the orange peel. Most every car on the road has it, anyway, so its no big deal.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd just live with it. Like Untow Bo said, your clear coat has UV inhibitors in it. Typically, a factory paint job has 1.5-2 mils of clear but since a paint thickness gauge only shows total paint thickness (primer, base and clear), you have to assume 1.5 mil thickness. If you take the clear under 1 mil, you risk losing the UV protection and your base coat will oxidize under the clear. The most you should remove via wetsanding is .3 mil (and that ain't much!) and then another .1 mil removing the wetsanding marks. That way, you have a .1 mil cushion if you have to correct the paint again which honestly, isn't a good idea for a daily driver. A fat woman walking by with a purse rubbing against the side of your truck is likely to remove at least .1 mil, maybe more.

The best thing to do is to bitch big time at the dealer. If enough people complain and refuse to buy vehicles with excessive orange peel, car companies would get their shit together. Maybe.

5. Original

Original OT Supporter

The worst I've seen is Jeep lately. I couldn't even see my reflection in my friends brand new non metallic Grand Cherokee :ugh:

6. feetball

feetball New Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'll be leaving it alone as it's not a showtruck obviously. Just pissed that they don't do a better job at painting.

7. Scottwax

Still go bitch at the dealer and let them know how unhappy you are.

8. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Trust me.. they dont give a rats ass! Unless you somehow bitch to the Ford Company itself, you are just wasting your time! Im a vendor to a few dealerships.. and their one and only goal is to sell cars, in whatever means possible.

9. Scottwax

Bitch at the dealer and the zone rep then. Personally, with some of the orange peel I've seen in some new cars, I'd flat out tell the dealer I refuse to buy that car and that it just cost them a sale. If everyone would do that, and cars with lots of orange peel sat on the lots, the dealers would throw a huge fit.

But if every just accepts it, nothing is going to change. :sad2:

10. feetball

feetball New Member

That would be kinda fun to go in and act like you're ready to buy, then spot the orange peel and be like no wai!!!

11. rockstar b

rockstar b no OT Supporter

According to PPG, excessive orange peel is due to the government limiting the amount of environmental waste that car factories can produce, thus directly limiting the amount of clear they can spray on cars. Good luck changing that one around.

12. Scottwax

Maybe but Lexus and Porsche somehow turn out cars without excessive orange peel.

13. rockstar b

rockstar b no OT Supporter

IDK, I have a lot of Lexus cars come through my shop, and they don't have any less orange peel than any other brand. I can't speak for Porsche.

14. M3Driver

M3Driver New Member

BMW Mercedes and Porsche all have excellent paintjobs

domestics certainly have the most orange peel, our 04 Escalade is horrible

15. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

There was just a thread about this in the main forum two days ago- a good read. The general consensus was that all manufacturers produce paint with orange peel, some less than others. In factory paint, this is caused by DEP/EPA regulations as to the amount of VOCs allowed in their reducers- by which the solvent flash and evaporation time is decreased not allowing the clearcoat to flow out as smooth.

In aftermarket finishes, orange peel is often caused by painter error using incorrect reducers and/or improper gun technique moreso than anything.

16. BradUF

BradUF Guest

lol my Eclipse has clear coat Failure and so does my friends.

17. Malu59RT

Malu59RT New Member

I can vouch that the Lexus and BMW paint isn't orange peel free. Some companies do have it worse than others though. On another forum, I think a Bentley that was detailed had a great, smooth finish. Guess that's what happens when you have time to paint a car.

18. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

anything that rolls off a production line will have peel
    thats the way it is, dont like it? respray it yourself

you must remember, 90% of people who buy cars dont give a fuck about a funny dimply effect on the paint, the colour is the only thing people care about the paint on a car. the 10% of us who do dont count for enough market share to change the attitudes of car makers on this issue.