Factory 8" sub question??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redneck2725, Dec 21, 2005.

1. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

I saw this discussed in another thread, and didn't want to hi-jack so i thought i would start my own.

I have never dealt with factory subs or amps before, so i have a couple quick questions. I have a 02 Mercury Mountaineer btw

I have the 8" sub in the rear panel by the 3rd row.

1) Would just changing out the sub make any difference???
    2) Would the factory amp be able to push a upgraded sub???
    3) How do you figure what the factory amp is pushing??
    4) Profit???

I'm not looking for a ton of bass, but was wondering if i just wanted to upgrade the sub, would it be worth it. I might get a better amp down the road, but would i be wasting my time replacing the sub for now???

Thanks for any info

2. johnson

johnson New Member

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

theres no mfg spec for the amp and sub?

i suppose u could always try calling Mercury or a Dealer and trying to get a spec on it.

Im not exactly sure what you mean by Rear panel either, you mean on the side? or is it behind a seat? or what? if u can, go take a quick snapshop of it

Regardless of any of that, if it was me I would remove it and just get another 8, stealth box and get a better amp :dunno: or just a regular box, 8s are pretty unobtrusive

I think replacing the sub without knowing ur amp spec would be a hit or miss, especially if the factory amp is 'weird'. And considering its a factory amp in a Mercury i doubt its worth much.

and you have seen the other thread for 8s, also consider JL subs, u can get them for decent prices off woofersetc.com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2005
  4. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

IL +1

5. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

It's in the left side rear wall under the glass, and next to the 3rd row seats. I really cannot use up any room for a box. I really wanted to just use the built-in inclosure. I'll try to find any specs i can on the amp. I do not want anything crazy, just something a little better then stock.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

oh ok, yeah, thats usually where people put stealth boxes anyway, or near to that location

when u find an amp spec also see if u can get a spec on the enclosure size, then swap in whatever sub will work best in that enclosure. i dont really know how to find the enclosure size otherwise, u can always just guesstimate by taking a few measurements, or does it just blend in flush with ur panels? u can probably do depth by sticking a ruler into it with the driver out, and height and width by looking at the inside and guessing where ur end points are, it wouldnt be perfect but ud get an idea if u cant get a spec on it

if ur factory amp is viewable u might try to look on it and see if its made by something like pioneer and if it has a model number or power rating on it

most 8 inch subs should be able to run off a considerably low power so my guess is that the aftermarket sub will run off the factory amp but will run much better off of an aftermarket one

keep ur factory stuff somewhere in ur house or storage space and swap in back in when u sell the vehicle

:)

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

we put a small alpine amp in the boss's wife's sporttrac, on her factory sub last year... and it made a world of a difference.

8. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

The only factory sub I've delt with is my parents' 2000 Avalon..it has a JBL 8" in the rear deck getting fed 35W, well damped on an infinite baffle...enough for a little bottom but not much more obviously. My first course of action with it would be to replace it with the most efficient 8" you can find...nothing gets you more punch for your dollar than extracting the most from the power you already have. Just make sure you match impedance or you may just be buying a new amp soon too.

From there, upgrade the amp. That's how i'd do it.

9. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

Thanks for the advice, i was looking at a JL 8" since they work great off a little bit of power. I'm goin to look into the sizing a little more. I just joined a Explorer/Mountaineer site, so hopefully i will have some answers soon.

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

JL w0's are great for this application. i've done the 6w0 in older explorers and they sounded so much better.

11. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

Did you change out the factory amp???