Factory 5 Kit Cars

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by matrix243, Sep 11, 2003.

1. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

I just received my FFR kit car info pack yesterday. Comes with all the information on building a Cobra, Daytona Coupe, Spyder, or GTM-200. I'm totally getting psyched! You do need a donor fox Mustang for drivetrain, rear suspension, and brakes though.
    [​IMG]
    These things are crazy!!

Here are some of the performance specs for a standard Cobra with stock Mustang parts:

hp: 240
    Weight: 2200lbs
    0-60: 4.6s
    1/4: 13.2 @ 104mph
    70-0 mph: 175 feet
    Lat. G's: .92
    Cost: $18,350

An extra 60hp would get you into the low 12's!

They do also have the option for bolting in a 351, 390, 427, and 429/460/514. One of there project buildups was a 565hp 460 SVO crate engine powered Cobra. This sucker ripped off a 10.96 at the track!

2. freakSHO

freakSHO Guest

do the daytona coupe. I've seen plenty of cobra replicas

3. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

I really want one of their daytona coupes also. Bad-ass looking and something you don't see every day.

Seems like you don't really NEED a Mustang donor either. You don't really need that many parts off the donor car. I'd probably just buy what i needed either from aftermarket companies or from the junkyard instead.

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

does it use the stock K member? strut suspension?

wasnt the original IRS? and weren't fox brakes supposedly lousy?

5. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I think for the Daytona Coupe replica they recommend having a TurboCoupe as a donor car for the trans/axle because they had rear discs.

6. matrix243

Note that the Cobra is ~1000lbs lighter then the Mustang, so way less braking power.

"The Factory Five Racing Roadster kit comes with a fully independent tubular front suspension with unequal length upper and lower a-arms and adjustable coil-over aluminum body, rod-end shocks.

Our car has earned a reputation for razor sharp handling. The front suspension design is a big reason why that’s true. Our rugged front suspension is race-proven and street tested to deliver superior handling without the notorious problems of Mustang II style set-ups.

In the stock kit we use the standard lower control arm from the Ford Mustang™, which incorporates Ford’s low friction ball joint. We offer an optional tubular steel lower control arm for people seeking lower unsprung weight over the Mustang unit. The advantage of using the stock Mustang lower control arms is primarily cost savings, however they also provide an amazingly smooth ride. We use a custom FFR spindle bracket that allows you to attach the Mustang front spindle and use the massive 11" front brake assembly from the Mustang.

The front suspension components are well engineered and bolt on with ease. The big Mustang 5.0 disc brakes are excellent and we supply the aluminum coil-over shocks, coil springs, custom mounts and upper A-arms with ball joints and fasteners, all ready to bolt together.

Rear Suspension
    The Factory Five Racing Roadster frame is delivered to you ready to accept bolt-on suspension components. We offer two rear suspension configurations. The standard FFR Roadster kit comes with welded mounts ready to accept the bolt-in rear suspension right out of the Ford Mustang donor car. This is a four link solid axle suspension with quad shocks and Ford’s 8.8" posi-traction differential. You can slip the variable rate Mustang coil springs right into place and bolt the whole thing together in about 30 minutes!

This standard Ford Mustang suspension works amazingly well on the street, delivering razor sharp handling and a comfortable ride. It is also capable for weekend racing. We added custom anti-squat geometry, similar to those used by the Mustang 5.0 race crowd, and engineered all mounts to be in double shear, made from 3/16" A36 plate steel. With these minor modifications the car handles great and the 8.8" rear end with Traction-LOK™ ensures rock solid launches."

7. matrix243

I wonder what kind of power they can withstand though.

8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Should be alright, I think they're the same axle/brakes that the Mustang SVOs and eventually, the 93 Cobras used. The fronts do most of the braking anyway.

9. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The Daytona coupe is much harder to build. FFR still has some issues with fit and finish on this model.

Jim

10. mrgto

mrgto New Member

Their factory is up the road from me.

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Wareham, MA isn't a very big place. Not even a chain motel. Everytime I visit the factory I stay in Marion.

12. My84Z

My84Z New Member

That is maybe 20 minutes from me they make nice shit I know the main painter who use to paint all there cars :)