SRS Facebook addiction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ia_cox, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

So I've noticed myself and a lot of people my age (19 yo) are spending more and more time on facebook; I honestly probably spend hours on it a day, doing absolutely nothing while my homework keeps piling up. And the thing is....I can't keep myself from it. It's such an easy procrasitnation tool that I find myself on it even when I'm meaning to be doing work. And since most of my homework is done on my computer (programming class), most of my time seems to be going to facebook. I have since decided to delete my account (it was doing nothing else for me anyway, and I've decided that actual person to person contact will help my relationships), but that seems to be the only way I am going to be able to overcome this. Why do you think this is having such an affect on my generation and why it's as hard as it is for some to deny it?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your moving around in a circle. I mean that's what an addiction is ,rinse repeat, its therefore important that you jump out of that vicious downward going circle. What rewards has facebook ever give you? Zero so trash it. I asked myself the question do i want to keep on living like a pig , or do i want to make something out of my life. There's only 3 directions in life where you can go, downward, go in circles where you are, or go up. And the only rewarding direction is to go up, the other 2 are worthless.

It isn't just your generation, every generation has its addicts. The reason this happens is because the human brain is an old outdated organ that has a primitive reward center with no on or off button to shut it off. It acts like water, always seeking the easiest way out. Its like: hey why do a lot of effort why its much easier to watch facebook?: It doesn't look at to do what is right, but what is more rewarding. So its much nicer to watch facebook then do homework right? So the reward center in the brain sets that as a priority instead of what really has the priority, namely your homework.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  3. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

I know *exactly* how you feel about facebook. I don't even know what I'm doing on the thing I just know that I'm on it all the time. I can't believe youre actually going to delete your account though! I had a friend that suspended his during midterms and me and one my friends thought he was freakin crazy.

I'm sure every generation had(s) something like this though.. Just like different sets of people have different tools of procrastination. Really though, it's just a matter of getting your priorities straight.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Facebook is a weird tool.. I guess I can say that I'm addicted to readin these forums (at least away from the offtopic section where everyone seems to be an e-thug). You can learn a lot from listening to the point of views of other people, so I just sit here (and I guess you can say troll) and view all the threads and see what people have to say.

Addictions suck... they really do suck. It's just as bad as a girlfriend that you've had for years and then you break up. You can't just cut yourself away from an addiction. Cold shoulder is the hardest way to go. what you need to do is set it up so that you will control your time.

I only ever check facebook when

A) I know that someone has posted new pictures and I want to see them
    B) I get an email telling me that something has updated.

Find something else that is more interesting. I know that I have trouble getting work done when I want to play guitar, especially when I've just started writing some new material (like last night...) and I want to play around with it.

Actually, this happened last night. i was supposed to do my physics work, but instead i finished writing my song. 12:30 rolled along and I had no time to do my physics work anymore... oh well >.<

Now i have to do it in my english class... which is in an hour and a half. It will get done, but it will get done with a lot of stress involved.

If you have a laptop: turn off your internet. That's what I do when I'm programming. I sit with a music player and I go through random songs and I just do code. My computer has no functionality without internet, so it keeps me focused (and so does the music).

Just learn little tricks to ween (sp) you off of it.

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

If it helps guys...once you get out of college, there is like NOTHING to do with Facebook. I recently deactivated my account on there because I wasn't using it for anything.

6. daxtrader

daxtrader New Member

Everyone at my work uses facebook. I think you'll get over it after you have kids.

7. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

or you get over it by deleting it. I'm really trying to rid myself of my social addictions...facebook is the first thing, I'm considering not carrying my phone on me anymore just so I'm not in constant contact. I used to be against all this (social networking sites, instant messenger, cell phones) but now they completely control me. Anyone else feeling this way and considering this action?

8. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

The only things in life that im addicted to is my girl, work sometimes and my blackberry.

The most is probably my phone.

9. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I have to agree with you on some of this. I do the exact same thing. When I have shit that needs to be done internet is off and the music gets turned on.

10. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

I have turned my Myspace addiction into something productive.

I am getting a girlfriend out of it, have met plenty of hot girls to go to the gym with, been on several dates and enjoyed myself.

I really do not have more then 3 guys out of 164 friends right now on my list, and tommorow when I have that magical moment where I click on "In a relationship", then my need for MySpace will be down the toilet.

You need to focus on some things.

I have recently left some pretty addicting things (some forums, etc), and started focusing on other things.

I got a 90% on my last test which was commendable, etc.

I like MySpace, and will probally sign up with Facebook at some point in time, I think it is too valuble of a social tool to delete your account.

How about having a loved one you can trust (brother, sister, mom, dad, whoever), change your password. Ask them to only have the new password on X date. It would be like a self imposed ban.

That's all I can suggest.

11. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

I completely disagree. Until three years ago we all survived with out it, and I'm sure I can again. Too many of my relationships (plutonic or otherwise) have had problems becuase of the inability to really express yourself over online communication. Everyone I care to talk to I see in person, and I left an email for those who still wish to contact me over the internet. Maybe it's just a personal vendetta...but I want to get rid of this completely.

tho I appreciate your advice, and considered doing that as well.

12. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

:eek3: It totally just dawned on me. *deletes facebook account*. I don't visit it alot, but maybe this is the stem of some of my problems. Enough of that.

13. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

This thread makes me glad I've never used facebook or myspace. They don't seem to have any purpose besides stalking people and wasting time.

14. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

The thing is, I have about 170 local girls on myspace, and add them to MSN as soon as possible, then get their number as soon as possible, so that I can go to the gym with them or party or whatever.

I don't really use myspace for online communication, I use MSN for that. And if we don't hang in real life, I don't really talk to them much on MSN.

get rid of it :hsd:

15. ia_cox

ia_cox Active Member

:dunno: to each their own. My last serious relationship ended for various reasons, but I'm sure some of it was communicating over MSN or w/e instead of talking in person; we had a few serious talks/fights over msn before I realized what the fuck I was doing and put a stop to it.

But then again this might be my way to stand out against everyone else. I dunno, I have a strong desire to delete for some time now, just finally going to step out and do it.

And :rofl: at the post that "Omgz I can't believe you're going to delete it!!" I've been getting the same response by everyone here...they all think it's going to be impossible to stay up with everyone without it and my best friend was guessing that within two weeks I was gonna be askin him for his password so I could feed my addiction again. I guess we'll see :p

16. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

if you can just have someone block the site and put some type of password on it so you cant get on it. Would work then you have internet but not that site

17. Hypno toad

Hypno toad Guest