Fable III to have micro-transactions!? :ugh:

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by XOX, Oct 22, 2009.

1. XOX

XOX New Member

Peter Molyneux has confirmed Natal support for Fable III and described gaming in 2009 as "the most exciting year ever".

Speaking last night at a BAFTA event - hosted and Tweeted by Eurogamer's Johnny Minkley - Molyneux revealed that his next role-playing game will also feature a micro-transaction in-game shop, where players can buy swords from £1.

Walkthroughs are another possibility for the store, but with the game so far off, Molyneux said many of these features could be dropped before release.

:ugh::ugh:

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I am not liking the direction the gaming industry is heading in :hs:

3. XOX

XOX New Member

Gotta agree, I really did draw the line when even DLC was going downhill (it was such a promising idea).

Not that I was gonna get the game anyway, but this reason alone is enough for me to not buy it.

4. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

When over 50% of people don't pay for games what do you expect?

Gamers have no one to blame but themselves.

5. WuSoldjr

WuSoldjr I see you're using an old style. I wonder where y

"Microtransaction" is such a bullshit term. It's called paying extra for shit that should be in the game.

6. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

spooky isn't it?

it's a thin and wavy line, the difference between decent paid DLC content and plain old greed. personally I find the notion of microtransactions to fall on the side of greed.

I see it eventually turning into an experience similar to optioning out a car. $60 for the base model game, and then you check off options for the "exclusive" stuff you want. similar to what they're doing now with special editions that come with unlocked cars or weapons and so on, except it will all be microtransaction-based.

7. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

I'm not calling you out, I'm just curious. is that 50% number for real? shitballs, I'd have guessed something more like 10-15%.

8. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

50% is something I pulled outta my ass honestly. Its prob more in this forum. Nearly every thread about a specific game is about downloading the game. Nearly EVERYONE of them.

People think they are getting shit for free - in the short term yes. In the long term all we will have is EA Football 3014

Same crap - Only now you will have to pay $5 per team. Its all going to be digital and micro transactions.

I would suggest you do what I have been doing. Save the old system - buy up the great games. Get a huge collection and keep em. Cause in 5 to 10 years you won't be seeing any good games left.

Halo 12! Only $2 a map!

9. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

0% of PS3 players :bowdown: :bowdown:

10. TankedOutSuicide

TankedOutSuicide These aren't the DJs were looking for...

:ugh2:

11. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

Pretty much.

Deamons Souls alone has shown me there are actually some good video game makers still out there.

12. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

When over 50% of games have 8 hours of less of good gameplay, and most arent original ideas, or are just releases with new rosters, what do you expect?

Epic, Quality content sells.

Truth.

13. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

^^^ truth. I have not purchased a game in a couple years because I have not seen much of anything worth paying for.

14. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. Piracy is no excuse for this BS. Most of 360 users have no clue how to mod a console so having micro-transactions and DLC BS like this is not justifiable due to piracy.

The one and only reason publishers and devs are becoming so bold and charging more and more is because of the kiddies, fratboys, and other uninformed users constantly throwing their money at anything they can stick in their console.

15. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

But I have not been pirating them either. (only out of laziness, but still)

16. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

:werd:

Combatting piracy may be an argument that they might use to try and legitimize this kind of shit, but it's only because they want more of your money.

This all that new gamers know. Gamers just getting into this hobby don't realize that just 4 years ago, DLC came in the form of a huge expansion pack that was worth getting (see Age of Empires II the Conquerors, fixed all the bugs, improved an already great game, added more races, and essientially doubled the amount of content in the game)

Also, they don't realize that all this shit would have been squeezed onto the disc. Once a game was made, there was no second chances at it unless a remix was made (Kingdom Hearts).

Now since they have DLC, they can rush out a shitty, skeleton of a game, wait until people bitch about bugs and release a patch for it. Then once thats done, they release extra content and charge you for it that should have been there to begin with. This is especially bad now that we're getting extra storage room with things like Blu-Ray. You're going to tell me that every game is using up the max amount of space on that disc that you need to release DLC and charge for it? Bull shit.

I'm all for DLC. It's a great concept and if done right, adds huge life to games (Burnout Paradise and Wipeout HD DLC). But this microtransaction bullshit that EA is pulling with NHL 10 and Madden 10, and now Fable 3, is just that, bull shit.

17. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I'm against this in games you have to pay for... but consider this:

What if instead of paying a flat 50 bucks for a game you download it for free. Then, specific content in the game you pay for with an account through PSN/XBL or similar systems. If you chose to pay nothing you get content equivalent to a demo. The more you pay for the more you get to do in the game. I think this is an EXCELLENT system to combat piracy, while at the same time protecting consumers from being fooled into paying full price for a shitty/buggy game.

For example, say some new racing game comes out and looks awesome. I download it for free, and that comes with 3 cars and 2 tracks, free race only no career mode. I play for a bit and decide I kind of like it, so I pay $10 bucks to unlock the Tier 1 vehicles, and a few new tracks. Along with this career mode opens up and allows me to play all races involving those Tier 1 cars and those tracks. Then, if I get bored with it or discover its buggy or the AI cheats or the physics are shit or whatever I can stop right there, total investment: $10. If I still like it and want to continue in the career mode I put down another $10 and unlock the next set of best cars and a new set of tracks and the next 1/3rd of the career mode, for example. Unlocking online play might be $5 but then you can only use the cars and tracks available to you in single player mode. At $35 you have almost the full game, and maybe for another 10 you get some extra special shit, maybe new modes like drag racing, drifting, or whatever, each game would obviously be different.

To me, that sounds fantastic. Would combat piracy, making more money for game companies, and at the same time promote good game design because otherwise people will not pay the full price to get the full game.

18. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

That would mean the entire game is done through downloads. Physical media is still a must these days, not everyone can do the download thing.

19. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

as long as the total price for a full game +some extras comes out somewhere near $60 I'd be fine with that. The only thing is I'm sure that publishers would find some way to milk money out of that as well as the fact that prices would probably never drop that much. I'd expect some kind of deals, but nothing like the current used game market.

20. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

I actually would be all for that, but unfortunately, the US isn't ready for that. Probably won't be for another 10 years.

21. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

I like this idea, only problem is that its a good idea so it will never happen.

22. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

o and fuck having to pay for DLC, I was playing The Sims 3 today (yeah, yeah :ughj: ) and decided to see what the store looked like because the options for buildings and shit was a little scarce. So I found a pack that looked interesting and lo and behold EA is charging $20.00 for 47 new pieces of furniture and building materials. . .how do they even think charging that much is fair?

23. Tan_Man

Tan_Man New Member

:werd: everyone thinks they're a fucking gamer these days

24. Los

Los Active Member

I get good hands but I keep geting cracked.

25. W3rd

W3rd New Member

this

Piracy is only an excuse. To me this micro transactions sounds exactly like where "DLC" is headed, and leave it M$ to be the pioneer on this one. It's not the pirates, it's the dumb consumers. There wouldn't be a market for it if it didn't sell.