f4i vs. SV650s

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by austincabot, May 8, 2007.

1. austincabot

austincabot New Member

I've got a 94' Ninja 500 that I've put about 5,000 miles on in the last year. I'm looking to upgrade to something else the summer, mainly an 01' - 03' F4i or an 05' - 06' SV650s. I really the like V-Twin a lot. My dad had a 99' SV when they first came out and loved it. We tour a lot (he has a yellow 00' VFR w/ full givi luggage). Anyways, sell me on the F4i.

I'm only 19, so insurance is a big thought. I took the MSF so that cuts me a break - and I have good grades, so that may be another consideration. I'm looking to spend around $5000 at the end of the summer.

What should I look for as far as problem areas on the f4i go? Mechanical, etc. I really am leaning towards the f4i over the sv because of the honda reliability, not to mention it looks pretty sick. I'll be doing lots of touring and riding back in forth to school. My uncle lives in Vonore, TN, about 40 mins from Deal's Gap and the Cherohela, so I'll be up there quite a bit as well.

Tell me, what do I need to know? Anybody else stuck between these two? What sold you on the f4i? The SV?

2. austincabot

austincabot New Member

SB.net? If it was, it wasn't me. Or did you mean GSB.com?

3. austincabot

austincabot New Member

I live down in Peachtree City, but I go to school in Milledgeville. Just moved home for the summer. What do you ride?

4. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Still have my black SBN shirt. :bowdown:

5. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i just got a TL1000S which is what the SV is based off of, and i love the v-twin characteristics. they're not as purebread as a fuel injected i-4, but they have character.

6. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

I just bought an SV1000. I absolutely love the torque and smooth aplication of power from the Vtwin. 4 cylinders seem to have some sort of instant horsepower on switch at a certain RPM, especially with the 600cc. I can turn onto a street in 3rd or even 4th and the engine will chug through it without giving me any shit. A 4 cylinder would be pretty upset with me for doing that. Not that i ride it like that, but its just cool that it can do it.

7. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

you can do this with any well built 1000cc....:mamoru:

I definitely say a twin is ALOT more torquey, but having ridden an r1 since 2000 I have never had a problem with rolling around town and not gearing down.

8. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

True true... guess i was still thinking of 600s.

9. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

I've got an SV1000S and a GSXR600...they're definetly different bikes! The SV is smooth no matter what gear or RPM you're at, the 600 can be very smooth if you ride it right...but the power characteristics are definetly different.

10. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

I've had both. I started out on an 02 F4i, and my fiance bought an 05 sv650s. I later sold the f4i, and am using the sv as a track bike.

If I could only have 1, I'd pick the sv. But it's such a huge difference from the f4i.

If you're just going to tour/street ride, get the sv. Such a great bike.

11. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

First off, fuck SBN and the bitch ass pussy that runs it.

Second, SV all the way. I've owned an F4 (not Fi) and an SV and both were fantastic bikes. That being said, the SV is just plain more fun and a better all around bike.