MIL F22 and F35 differences?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blykins, Dec 16, 2006.

1. blykins

blykins New Member

Zeti Reticula Star System in the Orion Constellati
    What are the differences between the F22 and F35?

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Most current customers for US fighters are either acquiring earlier designs like the F-15 or F-16 or are waiting to acquire the JSF, which contains much of the F-22's technology but is designed to be cheaper and more flexible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F22#Proposed_foreign_sales

Elements of the F-35 design were pioneered by the F-22 Raptor. The F-35 appears to be a trimmer and sleeker one-engine sibling of the two-engine F-22. The exhaust duct design was inspired by the General Dynamics Model 200, a 1972 VTOL aircraft designed for the Sea Control Ship.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II#Design_characteristics

3. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

f-22 is like a ferarri

the F-35 is like a corvette

4. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

the F-22A is an air dominance fighter. it is simply, hands down, the most lethal fighter aircraft ever built. it can engage enemy aircraft beyond their detection ranges, fly faster and farther, and carry more armament than any current or potential adversary. it is replacing our current air dominance fighter, the F-15, and will be used in much the same way - that is, to open up the skies in the first days of the war so that our traditional strike assets can flow in to attack targets without an enemy air threat. the F-22A is currently in production, and a small number are already operationally deployed and combat ready.

the F-35, which is still in the design and test phase, will fill the role currently held by F-16s and A-10s - that is, a multi-role fighter with both ground-strike and counter-air capabilities. it will incorporate many of the advances of the F-22A, like avionics, etc, however it will not be as capable (i.e., not as fast, less range, etc) in a pure fighter role since that's not it's intended purpose. it will still be years before the F-35 is fielded operationally.

the bottome line is that both aircraft will be better than anything our enemies can put in the air right now or in the forseeable future. much like our F-15s and -16s do right now, the Raptor and the Lightning II will carry out the air forces' primary mission of establishing and maintaining air dominance anywhere in the world.

and if you haven't figured out by now, "air dominance" is a pretty big buzzword in the air force right now

5. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

:werd: f-22 is straight sexy.

6. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

F/A-22 replaces the F-15

F/A-35 replaces the F-16

7. ManinCamo

glad someone had the boredom to type it out.

8. ManinCamo

:nono:

9. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Fixed

Sorry Ranger....

10. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Fixed

:coolugh:

11. ManinCamo

blykins was too fuckin lazy to type www.google.com and then type "f-35 vs f-22"

12. insomnia

insomnia New Member

i think the f-35's are going to be 'too high tech' to perform any close ground support roles a-10s currently fill better than they can, we need something slow and rugged :o

13. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I must have missed the memo where Combatant Commanders desired more "Air Dominance".

14. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Do you want less? We haven't had a single US troop die from enemy aircraft in like 3 decades :hsugh:

15. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

I think his point was more perhaps the pie is not being allocated most effectively given current operations and goals. :coolugh:

16. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Of course he thinks that. He should. He is being faithful to his service and his troops. Just as I think the F-22 is a must. We could throw facts and opinions at each other all day but when it comes down to it, but we each walk away with our opinion.

17. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

To be honest if steamrolling third world countries and then continuing the great democracy experiment of '03 continues to be the MO the F-22 will be a completely waste of money, a C-130 throwing JDAMs out the back would be just as useful.

Of course then we get to argue the ifs, buts and maybes. :big grin:

18. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If China or another not so friendly country develops a fighter that can outperform the U.S. fighters then we would be having a different discussion.

19. MrRyan

Then our "Save the Spotted Tiger" program must be working splendidly.

20. SweetDaddyO

every operation we undertake requires us to have air dominance. it's a prerequisite for any successful modern combat operation. sometimes it's easy to acheive (i.e., afghanistan, iraq), but it's always necessary. air dominance paves the way for close air support assets, C4ISR, and freedom of movement for ground forces.

21. SweetDaddyO

the B-1B is already your "JDAM truck" - 24 GBU-31s or a mix of 31s and 38s, 6-8 hours of loiter time...the B-1 is your one-stop shop for CAS. and just wait till we get the targeting pod.

22. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

:iorofl:

23. MrRyan

Oh really...I care...no seriously...I care...no wait I don't. Again, I ask where any of the Combatant Commanders, either current or past in the last 13 years asked for a new fighter aircraft in their capabilities request.

24. MrRyan

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm not being faithfull the Army...I'm being faithfull to the American Public, to the Citizens of our country and most importantly to the American Taxpayers so that they know exactly that they are getting what they paid for. Transformation? Noone in this forum knows transformation better than I...and noone here could articulate it better than I. Of this I'm certain...Anyone here that says that F22 or F35 is transformation...punch yourself in the face repeatedly. -k- thanks.

25. insomnia

insomnia New Member

the 48 airborne enemy aircraft in the 90's we shot down must have been a fluke then, right? Not including what i'm sure amounted to hundreds that never left the ground :hsugh:

then take into account how many tanks, emplacements, training camps, groups of combatants, etc were taken out without having anyone on the ground get near harm's way.