F150

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by purplebeast, Aug 18, 2005.

1. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

Im looking to buy one. Im about 90% sure I will get one withing the next month or two. What are you toughts on it? Its probably going to be an 01 or 02 with about 30ishK on the clock. I have heard very mixed opinions on F150's. Some peopel say that if you do the basic maintance they will run like a champ well over 100K. Other say that unless Jesus grants you a miracle. There is no way the F150 will run above 100K and that everything will break down twice before reaching 100K. SO, whats ur opinion?

2. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

my gf's dad has one at 230k (bought new in 91) right now and just bought an new one (05). eventually shit will break but you should be allright for a while.

3. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

4. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Dude think about it, if everything broke down twice before 100k and they never got over 100k would they be the best selling truck? Think about how many 80's and early 90's F-150's you see on the road, beat to shit but still running. Don't listen to Chevy people.

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Its the best selling truck because of fleet sales.

The crash test stuff is accurate at 40mph the cabin collaspes.. another quality american product :noes:

6. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Right, that's the only reason.
    :rolleyes:

7. chandojmc

chandojmc New Member

So, back to the question....I just traded in my old 1999 F-150 4x4 with 80k and it ran great. All I had to do in all those miles was replace the coil packs and re-do the brakes a few times. Things to look out for when buying: buy newer than 1999 (the newer years have 4 wheel disc brakes), stay far away from a truck with a shudder into overdrive (45-55 shudder when shifting), also stay far away from one with the 1st gear to 2nd shudder.

Oh, and check the heater. Some of the 2000's have chronic heater problems.

BTW, I traded for an '05 FX4 SuperCrew and its worlds better than the previous generations.

8. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

I did kind of take serious what people were saying because of the problems I've had with American cars. A 85 s10 and 93 ford tauros(sp?). Both gave me nothing but problems, over and over again. Since then I've owned a civic, tercel and infiniti. They all ran like champs. But you are right, I do see a lot of older f150's running arround. Hopefullymine will hold up good.

9. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I've had a 87 Ranger I ran to 140k and my 96 Explorer has 105k on it, nothing more than maintenance stuff done on either *knocks on wood*

10. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

if reliability is youre prioroty, taco is the way to go

11. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

you might have problems with little things. my brother has a 03 and his digital heater
    control has a connection problem. my 98 has some plastic pieces in the interior that are becoming brittle and breaking. like the lower seat bolster panel, and the shifter pieces that goes around the OD button popped off.

12. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

We have an 1998 Expedition which is basically a super extended crew cab F150 that they forgot to put the bed on.

94k miles:

Blown suspension airbag after many jumps and 7 years use
    Rear gas struts no longer working on lift glass at 7 years age (not going to apply to the pickups)
    Plastic cover for the cigarette lighter broke - no big deal.
    Transmission was acting up and shifting late, they played with it on warranty, works like a champ now.
    Bushings replaced in suspension, at 7 years old.

For a vehicle that's been sun-baked in 120F heat over 7 years, done 94,000 miles in our hands, driven to school and back every day, numerous offroad trips, desert crossings, cross-country trips, used like a truck to move house, family of 5 climbing in and out of it, party bus for weekends, 2 fender-benders, it's survived really well.

If that generation F-series was all I could afford, I'd definitely get another one, but I'm falling in love with the '05 truck design... would love a SuperCab FX4.

The crash test was really bad on that older supercab and I suspect having no B-pillar really hurt it... I personally would feel safer in a supercrew on the older trucks unless I really needed a 6ft bed (which is why I want the '05 Supercrew)...

The thing I've noticed at least in this part of the world is bad drivers usually have small cars. I don't know why, maybe the lighter more agile car makes them braver, or maybe it's more competent people are usually the ones that can afford the bigger vehicles, and therefore the less competent ones have the tiny cars. Either way, in my experience I spend a lot more time stamping on the brakes to avoid a Corolla than I do to avoid another Expedition... if that corolla actually does get hit, I doubt I'll be needing anything other than mild bodywork.

Ours has been side-swiped by a Lancer and has been backed into a wall by one of the service station employees... and right now looks like new.

The Goodyear tires it came with SUCKED though, it currently rides on Michelin LTX's that are doing much better. We lost count of how many Goodyears we replaced.

Look after it, basic maintenance, it'll work like a champ. Will probably keep the 98 Expedition running along-side the '05 F-series.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  13. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

I got a 97 F150 ext Cab I got last year for 9k. Sucker looks brand new and drives like it to. Just hit 100K miles on it and it drives better than my wifes 03 corrola