F1 cars are clutchless ?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by The Bastard, Jun 29, 2001.

1. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

It's my understanding that they are clutchless and the shifting is done via two paddle shifters one of each on either side of the steering column.

The new Ferrari 360 Modena claims to have F1 shifting without clutches, this in part is where I gathered the above statement to be true.

True, false? :confused:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

if I remember correctly I read something about the F1 trans being an option on a bunch of ferraris, but it has a clutch, I don't remember if you have to press it yourself or if it's done via servos.

awhile back someone posted a site that was written by a guy with a ferrari about all the trouble he's had, he explained it pretty well.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

F1 cars have a clutch, but it is engaged automatically when the driver pulls on the paddles on either side of the wheel (one side for up, one for down).
    Ferraris said to have an advantage of 4/100ths of a second over the other teams, and yes this system is on the Modena.

Fully automatic gear changes are permitted, by mapping the up/down shift points to the software. Not every one is using this though as it is unreliable(Only leagal since Spanish GP, this year)

4. Section8

Section8 .

I think the cars that aren't using launch control still have a manual clutch lever, solely used for launching the car. Am I right?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I beleive so, it is also used when entering and exiting the pits. But they will burn up if engaged longer than thirty seconds or so.
    As Montoya found out in his botched pit stop at Imola 01'(only his second F1 pit stop at the time-hehe).
    Also I think everyone is using launch control and traction control now -except for Minardi(they cant afford it).
    Notice a Minardi has never stalled on the grid-Wasn't the start of Austria '01 horrifying-4 cars-Mika, Hedifeld, Trulli and Frentzen-all DOA!
    The once mighty Bennetton team just sarted using it at the Nerburgring last weekend.

6. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

What I meant by clutchless was in the sense that we all know.. a peddle to depress..however if my translation is correct, you're explanation would mean that there are only two peddles... accelerator and brake.

This system is probably alot more efficient in regards to racing and especially in a caliber like F1, the driver would need all the aid/concentration afforded to him with electronic assistance.

You raised some interestiing point however, as this is my first time really guaging with motorsports. I don't understand how in a sport that's so popular and with sponsorship so rich why teams like Minardi (as you said) cannot afford something that ultimately can make or break a race. They should have a set of uniformed rules whereby it states cars/teams that enter must conform to such and such.. no wonder some teams aren't competitive.

It's just ashame though because unlike other sports you're helped with salary caps and other measures to keep the entire league/teams pretty well on the same wave length as far as competition.

I played F355 Ferrari Challenge on DreamCAst and let me tell you without the launch/traction control it's damn hard to launch properly.. I guess we know why Ferrari keeps winning all the time :big grin:

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I appreciate your points on competition, however in my opinion this is what makes F1 so special as there is a constant manufacturers battle, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, Honda, Ford Renault-(at one time the unoquivocal Kings of F1 engine suppliers), Bridgestone, Michelen battling for supremecy every other weekend. Oh, and don't forget, the best racers in the world!

I think CART offers a decent series with a much more controlled/equal environment-but it ain't F1.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I've never played that(no DC console) but I sure do love Need For Speed 5: Porsche Unleashed-online is an absolute thrill.
    Great physics model.

9. Section8

Section8 .

While we're talking games...Grand Prix Legends (for the PC) has my vote for the best racing game. If any of you havn't played it...shame on you! You can pick it up for like $20 US now (it came out in '98). Make sure you have a force feed back wheel.

I'm off to watch Magny Cours!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ya I've got it but I can't this warez version working for online racing-I may have to buy the damn thing. Meanwhile I am getting alot of practice on the new MILANO circuit-based on the old Monza circuit which includes the high banked oval-simply amazing!

11. Section8

Section8 .

Where did you get that track? I haven't been out looking recently. I've been dieing for them to make a banked Monza circuit!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

13. Guest

Guest Guest

while we're on the subject of driver aids....am i the only one that thinks they're making it to easy for the drivers now? (unless there is a mechanical failure of course).

after all, F1 is supposed to be the height of motorsport...eg, the best cars and the best drivers. if all the driver really has to do is steer the car, it kinda takes a way the whole reason that they were selected in the first place...they are supposed to be the best.

just my opinion of course...what are everyone elses views?

14. ast27

ast27 Guest

The traction control and what not only allows the limits of the car to be taken further and under more control. If you enter a turn wrong, or drive like a wanker in the car, you'll still mess up.

I have noticed no difference with the reintroduction of electronics, except the stalling on the grid :)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I completely agree, remember the turbo era? all the drivers had to do was put there foot down a the car would do the rest, including ABS, traction control, suspension setup, and fully automatic gearbox's.

And for games NFS5 is great but I say Gran Turismo takes the spot as the best racing game ever. Especially GT3... when you racing in the rain you have to see it to believe it ( its unreal);)

16. Balzz

Balzz Guest

:confused:

The turbo era ended in 1988. That was the first year the electronic transmission appeared in a Ferrari. ABS and traction control had made it to F1 during the turbo era.