F&N is full of bigorexics?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KingGargantuan, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

http://menshealth.about.com/cs/menonly/a/bigorexia.htm

Reverse Anorexia
    Being preoccupied with muscle development may involve a disturbance in body image similar to anorexia. Bigorexia (muscular dysmorphia) is now affecting hundreds of thousands of men. For some men muscle development is such a complete preoccupation that they will miss important events, continue training through pain or broken bones, even lose their job rather than interrupt their physical development schedule. Curiously, these same men are not in love with their bodies. Despite a well developed physique they are unlikely to show it off and will shy away from situations that expose their bodies.
    The term 'muscle dysmorphia' was coined in 1997 to describe this new form of disorder. Other people refer to the condition as 'reverse anorexia', and now more commonly 'bigorexia'. The causes are not known but two key ideas revolve around bigorexia as a form of obsessive compulsive behavior and secondly, the effect of the media putting the same type of pressure on men to conform to an ideal shape as has been the case with women for years.

The main characteristic of bigorexia is the thought that no matter how hard you try your body is never muscular enough.

The condition is recognized as more common with men although some women body builders have also been reported with similar symptoms. Most men with bigorexia are weight lifters, but this does not mean that most weight lifters are bigorexic. Compared to normal weightlifters who report spending up to 40 minutes a day thinking about body development, men with bigorexia report being preoccupied 5 or more hours a day thinking their bodies are under-developed.
    With the increase in gymnasium provision and attendance there is some speculation that this alone accounts for increased awareness of physical imperfection in men and a quest to attain the perfect body. Conservative estimates put bigorexia as affecting hundreds of thousands of men.
    Typical Features of Bigorexia
    mirror checking.
    Bigorexic men check themselves up to 12 times a day. This compares to roughly 3 times a day with other weight lifters. social & work events: important social events like birthdays, meeting friends, keeping appointments etc are overlooked because they interrupt the training schedule. Working hours may be seen as too long and some men have lost their jobs because they spend too long training during break periods.
    diet:
    very strict diets are important. Bigorexics will rarely eat at another person's house or at a restaurant because they are unable to control the dietary balance or know exactly what has gone into food preparation. It has been known for men to develop eating disorders such as bulimia.

measuring up:
    bigorexic men constantly compare their own physique with that of other men.

Invariably their perceptions are incorrect. Even when observing men of equal physique they will judge themselves as smaller.
    drugs:
    the use of anabolic steroids is common amongst bigorexics. Men continue using steroids despite experiencing side effects such as increased aggression, acne, breast enlargement, impotence, baldness, impotence and testicular shrinkage.

fat:
    men with bigorexia typically worry about the percentage of body fat they carry rather than being overweight.

Psychological Factors:

Unlike many body builders who enjoy the opportunity to show their physique in public bigorexics do not. Many will hide away for days at a time because of embarrassment about their body shape. Research undertaken by Pope and others in 2000 found that one man avoided sex with his wife in case it used up energy he could apply to body building.

Typically, men with bigorexia have a low self esteem. Many report having been teased at school about their physique leading to a focus on 'making good'. However, the attempt to catch up is never achieved and results in a poor sense of self and feelings of emptiness. Studies by Olivardia and others in 2000 also found that 29 per cent of men with bigorexia had a history of anxiety disorder and 59 per cent exhibited some other form of mood disorder.

Treatment Options

At the time of writing no systematic studies have been produced to compare the effectiveness of one treatment over another, either individually or in combination. A particular problem with the condition is that, rather like anorexics, men rarely see themselves as having a problem and are unlikely to come forward for treatment. The condition itself occurs partly as a response to feelings of depression and lack of self-esteem so coming forward for treatment is admitting defeat.

Where men have come forward a combination of educational and psychotherapeutic techniques have begun to show promising results. Cognitive-behavioral techniques place an emphasis on identifying and changing patterns of thinking towards more realistic and achievable goals. Future treatment packages may well be informed by such approaches but more systematic studies are now required.

2. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

A big part of that is people are too lazy to workout. As such, people who see others so motivated to make gains and unhappy that they're not big enough construe that they have a problem. In reality, these people have goals they wish to achieve and aren't fat fucks.

But yes, I might have a cause of bigorexia.

To bolded: WTF. You are overweight if you have a high bodyfat. Your not overweight if you have a 29 on the fucking bmi scale and are packed full of muscle at 9%. In fact, you're healthier than that skinnyfat fag thats scores a 23.

3. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

4. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

What type of scientific term will the come out with next to make something small seem like a medical condition. :rolleyes:

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i fucking hate people that make up gay phrases like this

6. phish

phish hockey crew

I think it's true. There are plenty of OTers that have this :mamoru:

7. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I strive to be better than the average, weak, pussies of society. Fuck them.

8. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

I don't see a problem with it unless you abuse drugs and shit.

9. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

They touched on this subject in "The man who's arms exploded" vid on TLC that was hosted here.

I dont think I have an actual problem, but I do exibit many of the things they talk about.

I often skip going out with friends just to workout/train.

I call into work sometimes if I feel I really need to train (although, I am a student with a part-time job that I hate).

I am more concerned about body fat % than actual weight.

I am always working harder and harder because I feel like nothing is ever good enough, and everything could always be better.

etc...

But these are all pretty common in most dedicated liftiners.

10. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

I wish I had that problem. Can you even call that a problem?

11. getjacked

getjacked Guest

since when did having excessive muscle become healthy?

12. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I love how they have to have a syndrome for everything now. How about "people are vain and have differing ideas of what makes them attractive and some go to great lengths to attain that ideal"

13. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Man, I wonder if this is me sometimes. I'm constantly obessed with calory intake, constantly worried I'm burning LBM, spend lots of time in front of the mirror...angry, and can't make myself take days off from the gym. Days I don't lift, I'm depressed and angry. eeek!!!

Atleast I look good though.

14. onslaught61

onslaught61 OT Supporter

ok im not, its all good.

15. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

no you dont

16. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

I'm not talkinga bout Ronnie big. Lets say around your size, minus the aas.

17. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

:wtc:

18. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

i don't really consider myself obsessed with being bigger

although it's one of my main priorities :o

19. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

why call it body dysmorphia when we can coin our own phrase?

we'll add it to our new segment next month on how to build 2" onto your bigorexia arms in just 2.25minutes a day.

fucking mens health.

20. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

21. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I read that as "I'm not talkinga bout Ronnie big. Lets say around your size, minus the ass" and thought you were confusing the two of us. :mamoru:

22. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

23. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

:hug:

24. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

its great to be egotistical about yourself (ok, no its not), but even if you dont look how you want to, but can carry good confidence, is whats more attractive to the womenfolk.

wanting to be better is good motivation but being obsessive and then getting a big head about your newfound hugeness doesnt help anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.