F&N I need some food substitute suggestions...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Perfect Speed, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

So I'm starting a new training plan with a meal plan. And sadly I'm a kinda picky eater... I'm set in my ways tho and I know most of F&N is good at this stuff.

They recommend egg omelets and I WILL not eat eggs, they literally make me sick to my stomach. So I need something I can eat in substitute of them and still get the same nutritional values.

What can I sub for shrimp?

Also can I sub yogurt for cottage cheese ? And sub tuna for halibut/salmon?

Thanks

2. hodor

hodor Active Member

3. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i rarely eat eggs, i just eat meat for breakfast instead.

yogurt for cottage cheese is no good - cottage cheese is a source of slow digesting casein protein and yogurt is low in protein.

tuna for halibut/salmon is ok just don't go overboard because of the high mercury levels.

oh and read the stickies

4. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

don't worry about substituting shit. Pick the handfull of things that you like that are full of protien and just eat that

5. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

eggs all day son, shit's mad good yo. but chicken certainly wouldn't be a good replacement, no. nor tuna, nor anything else that is basically pure protein.

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Instead of eggs = chicken breast or protein shake. To make up the lost fats have a tbsp or two of peanut butter.

Instead of shrimp = Any low fat, high protein meat source. Chicken, lean beef, lean pork, can of tuna. Shrimp is high in cholesterol anyway, so you'll want to limit that.

Yes, you can sub yogurt for cottage cheese, but be aware that extra carbs come with yogurt. If you can, try to get plain greek yogurt. It has a lot less carbs than most yogurt and will be pretty comparable to cottage cheese protein wise. Plus, greek yogurt has good digestive enzymes you won't find in cottage cheese.

Yes, you can sub in tuna. However, be aware that tuna tends to be a lower fat fish than the other two and thus you'll be missing out on omega-3 fats. Either make this up by consuming some nuts, avocado, EVOO or fish oil pills. Also, be aware that mercury contents are higher in tuna than in the other fishes listed. This may not mean much, but it is something to consider if you plan to eat it daily.

7. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

Thanks OT

8. theNine

theNine New Member

Get the Greek Yogurt. It has upwards of 15-20 grams of protein per serving and tastes better than regular yogurt. I get chobani and oikos.

tuna, eggs, greek yogurt, almonds, salmon, spinach, beans, broccoli, sweet potatoes, GO!

9. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

....orly? is it still loaded with sugar? i could never stomach cottage cheese so maybe ill try that shizz out

10. Reign

Reign Banned

:werd:

Don't eat turkey/turkey breast either. That shit's worse for you than Chicken is. I never eat that stuff. Oh and only it 83% lean beef, if you can find 70% lean beef, that's even better. Be sure to use white bread buns too.

11. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

heard of greek yogurt but never saw it before, do regular supermarkets sell it?

12. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

Plain greek yogurt is sugar free. They have Oikos brand in wal-mart by my house. Some places don't keep it with the regular yogurt bot over in the hippie food section.

13. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

14. theNine

theNine New Member

The ones with fruit have around 16 grams of sugar, but you can get the Oikos vanilla or honey flavored and it has much lower sugar content per serving. I don't mind the sugar though as I usually eat them first thing in the morning so it provides a nice insulin bump in the morning to get things started for the day.

Both Kroger and Walmart carry multiple brands of greek yogurt around here, in both bigger tubs and single servings. Some are located with the organic foods and some are mixed in with the Dannon/yoplait, of which I have also seen greek yogurt from them. Look around or ask, but it should be there.

:werd:

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

greek yogurt doesn't taste better, it tastes worse

16. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

Eat eggs anyway. I don't like them but still eat two a day.

17. theNine

theNine New Member

you got the wrong taste buds i guess :dunno:

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Agreed. I still eat the Greek stuff because the macros are better but less healthy yogurt tastes better. Dannon lite & fit strawberry banana is awesome. Not much protein though.

19. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

Costco has this stuff for ~$6/large tub which is way cheap considering Fage is usyally $2.50 for the single serving cups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.