F&N Bros I need your advice v. CPAP or Lose weight

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GTLifter, Jan 28, 2010.

?

CPAP or get lean

Poll closed Feb 17, 2010.
  1. CPAP

11.2%
  2. stop driving the bloat truck

67.4%
  3. GTL for Life

25.8%
  4. bacon

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I seem to have a narrow airway (confirmed by ENT Doc) which means I'm at a higher risk for sleep apnea. It seems like when I'm north of 235-240 regardless of BF% my ability to breathe while sleeping is greatly affected. So I can either get a CPAP and continue my to road to hugeness or change paths and be the leanest, most jacked 215-220 I can be.

Obviously bench (which already sucks :rofl:) and squat will take a hit but my pull wont. However it's arguable that my strength to weight ratio will be higher.

So what do you think bros?

Poll coming.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. patt

patt New Member

lose some weight u overweight americunt

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:ugh:

4. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

fuck yo life, get hyoooge son

5. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

I don't remember the last time "bacon" was the wrong answer to a question.

6. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

is this serious? would you use a CPAP machine for the rest of your life? having air pumped into you is different than breathing it on your own. talk to your doctor about the long term effects dude; research (some of it anyways) shows that there can be some nontrivial side effects

7. Memor

Memor Active Member

If you're serious man fuck that, get back down to 220 and stay there. Being "jacked" is not worth being hooked up to a machine to sleep.

8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

F&N's own fatdude diets with bacon so it must be a good thing.

9. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

I picked the wrong thing, but what would you prefer? Assisted sleeping and getting as big as you possible can or would you rather be as jacked and tanned as you can get @ 210 and just work on strength/etc and not have sleeping issues

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Yes it's serious. Basically my neck is too big and crushes my windpipe which means I'm beaing choked by my own neck when I lay down to sleep. I'm prety sure the only long term effects of a CPAP is some slight nostril discomfort depending on what type of mask you get. Getting a CPAP is a huge right of passage among powerlifters.

More like 220 but yea...that's what I'm feeling...

I've had 2 lifting goals for pretty much as long as I can remember. Deadlift 800 and carry Kviahellan around the goat pen. I'll probably have to gain some weight in 7-8 years to tackle the 2nd one but I'll worry about a CPAP then. The idea of getting a CPAP at 23 really bothers me and I think we've had these discussion before and your response was:

you'll be bringing chicks home and be saying "theres my king sized bed with silk sheets, my ice and my platnium plated CPAP now let me throw my dick in ya."

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I don't know what I prefer at this point which is why I posted this! :rofl:

12. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

:rofl:

i thought you had a girl tho?

13. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

what does that have to do with getting a CPAP? the sounds of me choking is affecting her sleep too. scares the shit out of her.

14. Memor

Memor Active Member

Exactly man, and even chicks aside who the fuck wants to sleep with a machine every night just so they can weigh 260? You can be 200-215 and still look jacked. All F&N macho chestthumping aside it's retarded dude. You'd have a serious medical condition which would require treatment every single night of your life that only exists because you want it to...

15. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

by and large, most people only experience discomfort. you'd be using it pretty much the rest of your life, no? there's a tiny chance your body won't adapt well to it after years of use. i'm just saying don't jump into it all willy-nilly and be like CPAP FUCK YEAH UP THE DOSE

16. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

cpap machines are loud as fuck. You already deadlift like 800 lbs...how much bigger do you need to get?

Lifting, for most people, at least originally, is about being healthy. Do what makes you healthiest.

17. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i used to have bad sleep apnea. got my tonsils out and it went away. do you still have your tonsils?

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

yea...that's what has been going through my head for awhile now....

I've been at this point for over a year now. To either get the CPAP and gain more weight or slim down a bit. However I really didn't realize how bad the sleep apnea was until started sleeping with the broad everynight.

19. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

lifting for me has never been about being healthy...never even close...:rofl:

I had them taken out and it helped. Moved the weight point up about 25lbs.

20. dwarfcat

dwarfcat COLTS FTMFW

either way make sure the apnea goes away.......you will destroy your heart

21. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Depends on how serious you want to take lifting.

You do not have the frame to be a really good powerlifter at 215-220. Guys you will be up against in a 3 lift meet will be much shorter at the same weight. Meaning in a 3 lift meet you will get slaughtered by good guys in the squat and bench. I guess you can be a deadlift only guy LOL

So it comes down to, what is important to you?

Do you know for a 100% fact being just 220 will take it away forever? I have seen some people need it at that weight and height.

22. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

it's not just about sleeping. apnea takes a toll on the heart, big time.

23. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Keep in mind, so far none of the people posting in this thread are nearly as serious about lifting as you are. Memor is a brotit but not nearly as serious. So their perspective comes from a viewpoint of the average person. Which is fine, but it doesn't really make much sense since you already do things negative to your health in the pursuit of lifting.

I say do what you want. Sure getting a CPAP at 23 sucks cock but then again so will being 30 and having a shot back, shoulders, etc. from powerlifting. Nothing associated with pursuing high level sport of any kind is healthy, period.

24. dwarfcat

dwarfcat COLTS FTMFW

I had an episode with CHF and had a dilated heart at 23. There were a ton of factors, most leading from being 455 lbs :rofl:. However, the fat caused the sleep apnea, which in turn worked my already stressed heart. The root cause was the fat since it caused the apnea, but if I was just the 455 and had the blood pressure and apnea taken care of I could have lived a couple more years before shit hit the fan at least.

25. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

yea...I stress my body enough as it is and that worrys me...

yea I'd get slaughtered in a 3-lift meet at 220 although at my last meet I only weighed 234 and squatted/benched decently...

However at this point I really don't care. I got into PL'ing becuase I enjoyed deadlifting. The only reason I did a full meet instead of a DL only meet was a friend talked me into doing a full meet. So at this point I've done my time as a full meet lifter putting up halfway decent totals and it's time to do what I enjoy. I may or may not do another meet this year. If I do it will be DL only.

I got down to 212 this fall when I started dieting and according to the broad I didn't start choking in my sleep until I was north of 230 again. So do I know for a fact it will fix it? No but it's a step in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.