F-body peeps, need info.. ford guy

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AcidAngel_5.0, Nov 15, 2005.

1. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

hey guys.. i am trying to set a budget up right now and get prices of stuff at the moment...

i am bout to get started in rebuilding my gf 79' bandit trans am perfect body.. just needs a new motor.. the motor is the oldmobile 400 and we both want to replace it with a 455... where would i find a good 455.. no mexican 455 and what type of price range are we looking at for making this swap.. will the tranny need to be replaced? mounting? etc.
    i have no idea what type of power these blocks make in "stock" like form but i would like to see atleast 450-500rwhp NA when done.

any links of sites you can show me that i can continue my search? im a ford guy.. so bout the only places i can think of are Jegs/Summit

2. AcidAngel_5.0

heh.. yea i love my gf.. i am also working on her 79' z28 at the moment.. not rebuilding it.. just tuning and making it run better.. thats the next project

3. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Needs bigger rotors up front and a little lift in the rear.

4. AcidAngel_5.0

looks just like that.. but its not a manual and not the crager rims.. still has original rims.. looks good..

5. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

To the best of my knowledge, the 79 455 engines were still anemic power producers due to their mild cam and low compression. If you were to slap on a set of aluminum heads, match up a set of the right pistons and even a modern cam you could easily pull 450 from that motor. Guy I know of on some other forums (www.formula454.com, yes its a BBC block) is making 600+ rwhp, but he has a pretty insane cam (mechanical rollers no est bueno for the street, can't oil under well under idle conditions, unless you go drop $1,000 on some crower product.)

As for finding a block, contact your local machine shops, see what they have availble, if you can, check the casting #'s. Ya might want to consider sticking with a chevy block too, easier to find parts, more performance stuff availble, and probobly cheaper in the long run.

You might want to take a shot over to pro-touring.com as well, maybe consider a fuel injected LS swap? make lots of power with minimal bolt ons... ;)

my $0.02

6. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I assume you want a Pontiac 455? Theres also a Buick and Olds 455, both good motors as well, as is the Olds 400 you have now. As I recall the Olds motors are lighter than the others.

What's your budget to hit 500 RWHP? In stock form, depending on year, most of those big motors will range from around 250 HP to over 400, so it depends on the year of motor you get and what it came out of. The later in the 70's you go the lower compression and lift on the cam gets, and the heads weren't too great in later years either.