*F-Body Guys* Stop Bolts, yes or no?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

I installed a Pro-5.0 shifter into my Camaro a week ago or so. During installation, I went ahead and removed the stop bolts before I put them in. THe big reason behind this was that when I was trying to figure out how to set up the stop bolts, I couldn't figure out the proper spacing. I didn't want to push them in too much, but I didn't want to over-rev the tranny either.

So I consulted several boards on the net, including LS1tech and LS1installs.com. Basically its too different stories, and people say you do, and people say you don't. Some people say the T-56 has its own internal stops, and other people say you need to run them or the transmission will overshift and blow up.

In the end, I decided to leave them out because it seemed like their was more of a chance to screw something up by leaving them in.

What do you guys think?

2. bigshoe

bigshoe I'd rather shovel shit than study

I have them in my pro5.0. I just backed them off just a little bit more than they wanted you to, i think the instructions say back off 1/4 turn or something,

it have it to the point where my shifter doesnt hit the stops unless i SLAM on it, which is what i prefer, this way, i'm getting a little of both of hte above mentioned theories. there wont be too much pressure ont he internal stops, and at rest, the shifter isnt up against the stops when in a gear. a freind of mine has a pro5.0 in his mustang, and it seems like he is hitting his stops each time he shifts, its a loud clank everytime. I wouldnt trust that, but if you feel safe with that, thats fine with me.

btw, shorted that handle a little, unless you are a roadracer or something, and need the shifter really close to the wheel. I bought a handle off someone that is similar to lou's short stick, but it didnt have hte bend in it, that was fixed with a vice and hammers.

i have a pic of it somewhere, lemme know if you want to see it

EDIT: found the pics,
    original handle with a worn out knob that hurt my hand:
    [​IMG]

new handle after modifying, with stock handle. everyone who drives it is like, wow, thats a short shift! takes a little more effort since there is less leverage, but minimal difference imo. it is probably just a little too short though
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  3. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

See, thats what I was talking about. I get two sides to the story, so I went ahead and took them out completely. I hate this grey area, since Im used to being precise with my car.

Regardless though, the clacking noise that you were talking about with your friends Mustang, that shit would drive me crazy. A friend had it in his Camaro and I almost didn't get it just because of that. With the stop bolts removed, though, the shifter is super quiet. I used locktite on the bolts and a high-temp gasket maker on the shifter assembly itself.

The stick though, is only maybe a half a centimeter shorter then the stock stick, and I really didn't notice an improved shifter throw. The feeling is alot more solid though, and the "don't know where the hell the shifter is ganna go" feeling is totally eliminated. 100% more confident with it now.

Regardless, Ill keep and eye on it and see if any play in the tranny happens. Putting them back in might still be an option, even though Im not looking forward to ripping open the console again.

BTW, I see you removed the #6 shift boot. How is the noise with it like that?

4. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

put the screws back in. There has been several cases of premature wear from not setting the stops correctly, nothing too serious but it's wear none the less, and sends material into the trans that you don't want floating around. The internal stops are really there as a safety to prevent damage from occasional overshifting, the stops on the shifters are there for a reason. This was discussed in detail once on the Impala forums, from the guys who have done the M6 conversion, and believe me if you want to see just how much abuse a trans can take, putting it in a heavy ass B-body is a perfect way to find out.

5. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Well guys, after some deliberation, I decided to put the stop bolts back in. I was driving home yesterday, and the shifter stick was starting to have a "mushy" feel to it, plus the added talk of the stop bolts started to worry me. So this morning I woke up and got right to work on it.

After I tore down the console, Im glad I did. The Power Tower stick itself was starting to come off of the shifter assembly, and another week or so and itwould have torn off in mid-shift. :eek3: This was definetely the "mushy" feeling that I was having. Im surprised that they came that way from the vendow, but I should have made sure everything was tightened before hand regardless.

Getting the stop screws back in was a challenge, since taking the actual shifter off the tranny wasn't an option since I had gasket + locktite on the screws.

So I worked the 4 top screws off, and I broke apart the assembly itself. I worked the Stop Bolts back in, and I set them up according to instructions. 1st gear, set to it, back 1/4 of a turn. Second gear set, back 1/4 of a turn. After that, I applied lock-tite and put the assembly back togethor.

As for the stick, I went ahead and took Mr. Sawsall to it and cut about an inch of tread off of it. After that, I re-installed and put everything back togethor.

On the test run, I was surprised. I really didn't do much except re-tighten everything and cut the stick down, but it feels totally different. It feels alot better then what I had before and Im glad I did it.

For kicks, heres a pic of what the assembly looks like with the cut stick before I reassembled it.

[​IMG]

As for the feel, its awesome. The shifter is totally workable now, and even though I don't see the stop bolts doing anything, I guess putting them in was a benifit.

I doubt I will go with a shorter stick though. This stick has enough leverage to work with, and I doubt the extra $$$ on a LSS will be worth it.

6. bigshoe

sounds good, as long as you back off on the stop bolts, I dont see how you will have a problem, the guys that hve hte problems must not have backed them off enough? Otherwise how will it pop out of gear (like some of them claimed when i checked the forums).

for the ailments of this shifter, I've only got 2.5:

1. that mushy feeling, i've had it several times, i've fucking bent allen wrenches trying to keep it from getting loose. notice in my pics, i now have locknuts on there with longer bolts, I dont think its come loose since.
    2. the return springs dont return anymore! So i have to do this mod: http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117198
    2.5 And this one really isnt a problem, and was expected- the noise. when i had my stock exhaust, it made considerably more noise transmitted into the car. now that i have LT's, and a catback, its non-existant, but figured i'd mention it since its a problem for some.

Now, for the removed shift boot? you mean the fake leather one that goes around the stick? that was off just to take the picture, and i dont think i noticed a noise increase from taking it off, but i didnt drive the car much like that.

anyways, congratulations on getting a mans shifter for a mans car. I always love to see the expression on people faces when they handle the shifter in my car, coming out of an import, or fwd car or whatever has a really wimpy shifter.

7. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Thanks. I was actually talking about the # 6 Rubber shift boot, not the fake leather console one.

And thats pretty funny about the mans shifter comment. :rofl:

8. bigshoe

by #6 are you talking about the boot that has 8-10 small 7mm bolts that attaches to the trans tunnel? its still on there, i just cut it a little bigger, and slid it underneath the "ring" on the shifter, that way road debris doesnt end up in the top of the shifter. I think its a better seal. but that boot is still there, just not the same way that it was installed when stock. i'm sure its a little louder this way than if it was stock, but most of the noise is probably just from having a long rigid stick transferring vibrations into the cabin, whereas stock had that rubber isolator.