MIL Eyesight Reqs v. Army

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pmoney, Jul 19, 2005.

1. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

What are the eysight requirements for an Army officer? How about for somehting like Airborne/Air Assualt?

After a google search or two, I am reading that basically the general INF requiremnets apply...and on some forum some guy said he had 20/400 and wore contacts and went in.

I know they give a lot of waivers now, especially in a healthcare field (I'm talking dental corps, where they are taking in anybody with a pulse for HPSP), but what are the requirements and typical waivers?

And on a related note, does anybody know how to convert the diopter thing on the prescription to a fraction value?

2. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

After some more digging I found this...

Vision
    The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

a. Distant visual acuity, of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following (367):

(1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.

(2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.

(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye. However, for entrance into a military academy, distant visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in each eye is disqualifying. For entrance into ROTC programs and OCS/OTS, distant visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye is disqualifying.

b. Near visual acuity, (367) of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye.

c. Refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism, (367.2)), in any spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or + 8.00 diopters; if ordinary spectacles cause discomfort by reason of ghost images or prismatic displacement; or if corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery. However, for entrance into a military academy or ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying:

(1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters.

(2) Hyperopia over 8.00 diopters spherical equivalent.

(3) Myopia over 6.75 diopters spherical equivalent.

(4) Refractive error corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery.

d. Contact lenses. Complicated cases requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars (371) and irregular astigmatism (367.2).

e. Color vision, (368.5). Although there is no standard, color vision will be tested because adequate color vision is a prerequisite for entry into many military specialties. However, for entrance into a military academy or ROTC or OCS/OTS programs, the inability to distinguish and identify without confusion the color of an object, substance, material, or light that is uniformly colored a vivid red or vivid green is disqualifying.

Alright so what I am reading is that as long as you are not really, really bad and are correctable with lenses, it is ok. But, if you have high astigmatism or hyperopia(?) that disquals you. I guess I will jsut ask the doctor what all the shit on the prescription means.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

get PRK or Advanced Lasik when you can.
    AFTER YOU GET IN

4. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm going to be a BCG recruit :wtc:

I hope I don't have to wear them for graduation.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

My Army son was initially rejected for enlistment in the Army due to vision. I don't remember what it was, but he literally had coke-bottle glasses. He got laser surgery (actually had to get it done a total of 3 times to correct all of the problems) and had to wait a year after the last surgery, but they eventually took him.

6. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

they say take the PT straps off for graduation... so it they happen to slip off a lot its probably a good idea just to take em off right?

7. Accord

Accord New Member

I guess i'll "accidentally" lose them right before graduation :naughty:.

8. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

"PT straps?" I heard they were allowing new recruits to wear the other frames offered by the military now?

9. Accord

Accord New Member

We're talking about in boot camp. You're only allowed to wear the issued BCG glasses, once you get to the fleet you can wear whatever you want as long as it's within regulations, but in boot camp you can only wear BCG's.

10. bassjunky

No I heard they are changing that. Maybe it hasent been implemented yet, but I heard in basic they are or will allow the new recruits to wear any of the frames the army has to offer.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

We're talking about the Marine Corps.

boot camp = USMC
    basic = army

12. bassjunky

Thanks for the clarification...

13. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

bassjunky is correct about the army basic glasses though. they are just about done phasing out the BCGs and will be offering ESS brand glasses that are vision correction and ballastic protection glasses. they are testing them as we speak in basics right now

14. bassjunky

:werd:

15. contactone

contactone OT Supporter

So it's true that you can't join the army if you've had lasik done?

16. Jyokker

Um I'm AF so I cannot speak for the Army. But how does the Army know that you didnt just go to one of those $259 lasik shops? They should offer it, the AF does.

17. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

False. (read my post earlier in this thread)

I think the suggestion was to let the military pay for your lasik procedure, instead of spending your own money to do it before you enlist.

18. Jyokker

BINGO! and it makes things easier since you will have full documentation in your medical record.

19. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

I know certain kinds of lasik procedures are (or were) not accepted for the army, at least going into basic/ocs/usma.

If you are getting it done before hand better check this issue out thoroughly.