Extreme Programming > * All Other Development Formats

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CyberBullets, Oct 28, 2004.

1. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Its true.

2 pairs of eyes are better the one.
    2 people per one computer.
    No overtime.

This result i have noticed (from doing this at school. Our school has encouraged students to use this method when appropriate). The result? Less work on project. Project finishes with higher quality, less errors, and more has been accomplished.

I dont know why more companies dont use this when 25% of all projects complete on time, and on budge. 30% dont even finish, and 55% of all projects are late, missing features, and/or over budget

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i'm guessing it's the cost involved. I'm still not convinced that 2 programmers at one computer can accomplish more than 2 programmers at 2 computers. But i think you're right about the quality of the product though. It definately elliminates stupid bugs and such.

3. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Speaking from personal experience, extreme programming can be good for certain situations, but I wouldn't wanna go through an entire project development cycle like that. At the company I work for, we use more of an iterative approach for the majority of the schedule. Each developer handles the design, implementation, and unit testing of their individual components. We hold design and code reviews with the entire team and do peer reviews on code.

There have been occasions where there has been a problem that was hard to track down, and we'd have two, three, sometimes even four developers huddled around a computer. But, I personally can't stand someone looking over my shoulder while I'm coding. It's just distracting.

4. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

wtf is it?

5. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

I don't think XP is suited for large scale projects in general, small projects - yes, they get ripped apart. I have two friends working at a coding shop in my area that only uses XP for their development. I also disagree with the two programmer approach, I don't want someone sitting there constantly looking over my shoulder and commenting about what I'm writing :squint:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I send code out for review by friends/co-workers... but I'd hate to have em standing over my shoulder... We had enough of that in school by the instructors.

7. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well XP is both good and bad...

XP usuall lacks some thoughts on design, this can be bad, especially when designing interactive products. Put it this way, programmers are second class at best, they usually don't know $hit about HCI.

Personally I uses some of the practices in XP, and I think XP programming is just a collection of good programming practices. Now I don't think it's a good thing to follow them religously though.

As of pair programming, I actually think that's a very good idea. Another guy don't just simply look over your shouder. He/she could be working on the algorithem, searching the specification of an API call, and various other things.

For those who think that XP > *, probably don't have worked on a project of massive scale, or did not religously follow all rules of XP.

8. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yeah. After reading this thread i see more and more the values of it and where it is applicable and when it is not.

myself, it doesnt bother me to have another programmer looking over my shoulder. If im unsure about anything, i have someone there to talk to. remember, they are not there to nitpick your code, but to help you write cleaner, more efficient code, and vice versa. Myself I have learnt a lot with this method, and believe it works great for school projects and small-medium sized applications. Remember for the whole SDLC, Implementation is only 1 of the 5 (or 6 depending on the SDLC) steps.

for large scale projects i agree XP isnt the way to go. Methods like the Spiral approach would do well.