Extractor suggestions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Labster, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Looking at purchasing an extractor. Been using my rigid shopvac without the filter on for interiors for the last couple of years but it takes too long to get interiors the way I want em. Any suggestions?

2. Juztang

Juztang www.obsessivedetail.com

I've had a Mytee Spyder extractor for a few years now and couldn't be happier with it. If you do a search, Mytee is a really good quality brand to go with.

I use Prochem Ultrapac Traffic Lane cleaner to pretreat and mix their All Fiber Rinse with in the solution tank of the extractor and always get excellent results. You won't believe how much better carpets look after switching from a wet dry vac to an extractor with the right chemicals.

3. quamen

quamen New Member

Maybe i am to old school, but i had a couple of hot water extractors in the past and no longer use them. While i have been detailing for only like 12 years, i ran out of patience for using them while mobile detailing. Time waiting for the water to heat up, having to empty those small recovery tanks and repeating the process several times. Anyways if i would suggest any, it would be the durrmaid model. I really feel the portability, price, durability of this extractor is unreal.

Lastly i am surprised you say it takes to long to get interiors using the shop vac method, because i find this the quickest way to do interiors.

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I'd take any model from Mytee over Power Flight, Cobra, etc. They just seem more popular in garages/detailing rather than other brands focused more towards the janitorial industry. I've read equally bad and good reviews on both the Aztec/Durrmaid mini heated extractors, making me skeptical.

I agree that properly extracted carpets always look better. But unless they were absolutely filthy to start with- a brush/shop vac/good product choice will give adequate results.

If your detailing business is geared more towards garage queens/weekend cars an extractor probably won't be a worthwhile investment. Where as a steamer will return some of the 'plushness' that an extractor will and a brush/vac wont- while using less chems on sensitive (read: expensive) materials.

I agree that the brush/shop vac is very much the faster option, and choose the 'old school' method as well but for a different reason. Every time that I've looked at an interior and thought 'this is terrible, it definitely needs an extractor', even that $1500+ piece of equipment couldn't get the perfect results I expected.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Very good points, Morgan. I keep debating whether or not to pick up an extractor, and frankly if I do I'll probably end up getting a used Mytee unit just to keep the cost down.

For now, I do a multi-step carpet cleaning: pre-vac dry, shampoo (I've been using Turtle Wax PowerOUT! Oxy for years with great results), steam with the steamer, and extract with the shop vac.

What I end up with is just as good as I would likely get with an extractor, but admittedly it does tend to take longer than I could manage with an extractor -- I could cut a couple steps out that way.

BTW, how did that gasket swap go on your Astro? I wasn't sure if you got the file I sent you from the service manual since I didn't hear back.... :dunno:

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Didn't get a PM with the Astro stuff, if you get a chance next week at work try to email it to me: [email protected]

I think I found out I need to go through the wheel well, but that could be just making more work for myself.

7. quamen

quamen New Member

yeah that is why i really do not prefer them. I havent found a stain yet that i couldn't get out faster, then the extractor good with equal results.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I actually detailed a car that the dealer (used car lot) had used an extractor. Lots of pretty lines in the carpets and what seemed to be minimal to no stain removal. 20 minutes and some BioKleen Traffic Lane Cleaner later, the carpet was all clean again.

If a stain isn't too deep, shampooing seems to work a lot quicker and since I don't run into too many vehicles with really terrible carpet, I don't really need an extractor. However, if I ran a shop that had a wide variety of vehicles coming through it, I'd definitely want one to handle the work vehicles and soccer mom disasters.

9. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I'm only thinking about going with the extractor if I set up a permanent location. As far as mobile goes I do get good results with the shop vac. What I meant by quicker is that the extractor in my experience seems to get the carpets a bit better imo than a vac because it takes more moisture out of them. I usually just mount two mini fans in cars I have to extract either way.

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

Having compressed air in the shop is a good way to dry carpets too. Just get a blow gun that fans the air out instead of shooting a concentrated beam of air at one spot.

11. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Skip the extractor. Get a steamer and a training DVD:
    http://www.detailingsuccess.com/vapor-steamers/

You can get almost the same results as extracting with a big heavy duty wet/dry vac.

But with a steamer...you can get flawless results on those flimsy (see Jeep Patriot) easy-to-stain fabrics they're putting in cars these days.

12. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Always in the back of my mind to look into one of these. I'm kinda surprised Shineshop hasn't commented on this thread yet.

13. quamen

quamen New Member

couldnt have said it better.

14. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

For cleaning carpets that are really Bad I find Meg APC+ with 4:1 solution works amazing, and it leaves a nice citrus scent behind.

15. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Have any pics of your shop? Just curious what your operation looks like.

16. BlazinBlazer Guy