Extra Fans for Computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ThinkPink, Jul 28, 2004.

1. ThinkPink

ThinkPink Cat Psychic To The Stars

Hi, I read a post in here sometime back about 10,000RPM hardrives needing extra cooling? or heating up more than the 7,200 rpms? My question is, Im about to install a 36gig 15,000rpm, I also will have a 146gig and 2 120 gig drives in this pc. Do I really need to add any extra fans?! I can install the drives myself, but fans, I dont know how, I'd prefer to not drag my pc to a shop to get fans installed, but if its for the best, then I will.
    Thnx :)

2. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

You should probably add some kind of cooling to your system, I was messing around with some 200gb 7200rpm drives and they get incredibly hot. If you want to add fans it's pretty simple, first off what kind of case are you using? To install a fan you just screw it into an existing bracket (if your case has one) or you can mod your case and just plut the wire into either a motherboard header or a 4 pin molex depending on what kind of fan you want. Also if you don't want to add fans you can get drive cages with heatpipes or their on cooling solutions.

3. ThinkPink

Hmmm I dont know what kind of case :( but this is it: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    drive cages never heard of them, will look into those, thnx.

4. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

Drive coolers, not drive cages is what I meant here's Zalman's version of it http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=74&code=019
    Coolermaster/Lian Li/Enermax/ all have their own version of that but judging by your case you don't have a lot of room to put them. I'm not sure exactly what case you have but I'm pretty sure you have a fan slot behind that front bezel. I'm also guessing that it's an 80 mm fan slot, lots of options availible depends on how much noise you can tolerate

5. ThinkPink

ah okies, thnx for the help..the drive coolers look/sound easier to install.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There might already be a spot for a fan in front of the HDD cage, which should take care of cooling the drives just fine. If there is a spot, all you need to do is pick up one of the proper size and mount it. Usually there are clips but if not the fan should come with a couple screws (and if it doesnt PM me and I'll mail you a few I have a ton of them).