Extra computer v. storage

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have an older p4 computer laying around that I want to setup as a file server for our home network. I realize I can just share the drives, etc and do things that way but I always had a few other ideas. I have a desktop and a laptop in which I want to be able to access the files. My roomates also have 3 laptops in which we all access the network and internet through a consumer linksys wireless router.

1. Would I want to just run xp as normal and share the drives I am planning on using? or would I want to run a server based os install?
    2. Right now when I access shares on other peoples computers it is very slow so im wondering if some sort of server os install would be quicker.
    3. I want to be able to setup programs such as utorrent to download directly to the shared drives, not my local ones. Would there be any problem with this?
    4. Also the computer would be accessed remotly, I want to just have the box running in the utility room, no monitor, etc.

Thanks for the help guys, i'm pretty new to the whole server aspect of networking.

2. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net

Incredibly easy to set up and use FTP server. Create a user, set permissions, tell it what directories you want to share, and bam, you can login.