External USB HDD conversion problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex__, Jan 8, 2008.

1. alex__

alex__ New Member

I recently purchased one of those cases to convert an IDE HDD into a USB external HDD. The problem i have with it is it will not recognise the hard drive in my computer. In device manager, there is a USB drive recognised, but not a USB mass storage device. Its giving me the shits.. is there something else i have over looked. Maybe something to do with jumpers? or some software i need to install? I bought the case thru ebay, so it didn't come with instructions. Thanks in advance.

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

could be jumpers, not sure. but the problem i had with a regular usb external (not converted from IDE like yours), where it wouldnt let me format either, was fixed by this:
    right click my computer
    go to manage
    go to storage
    go to disk management
    see if it's listed there, and then if it is right/left click and check out your options. i had to right click and do something like enable it, and then it let me format NTFS and partition and what not.
    if you get tehre and find it under disk management, and are unsure of what to do, lemme know
    good lujck

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

^^ Check in disk management that the drive is formatted and had been assigned a drive letter.

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

let me know if this doesn't work. but it very well coudl be the ONLY place you will be able to find/work with this HDD

5. alex__

alex__ New Member

I dont want to reformatt the dirve because there is a shit load of music on it that i want to keep. I have a feeling it might be something to do with the actual case. coz it just sais now that the USB device is not recognised. didnt come with any drivers or anything to update with. Is there anythign that i might help there?

6. Chris

Chris New Member

If the drive has stuff on it then it is already formatted, and you wouldnt need to do it again

it sounds like it may be something else, open the enclosure up and put the hard drive directly in your computer and see what happens

7. awns729

awns729 New Member

Even if you don't want to reformat, youshould check disk management like I posted, just to let us know if it shows up there or not.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If it's a Western Digital drive, you have to remove ALL the jumpers from the back of the drive before it will work in a USB enclosure.

If it's a different brand, just make sure the drive is set to Master instead of Slave.

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Call the manufacturer of the case to see if there are any known problems. When I first got mine it did the same thing. I called the manufacturer and they had a known issue with one of the versions of a chip they use. They replaced it free and fast.

10. alex__

alex__ New Member

i checked the disk management and there is no register of a new drive there.

11. alex__

alex__ New Member

Its hard to call a manufacturer when i bought it thu ebay... it was prbably a mistake but it does not have any instructions or any contact information. The place on ebay i dont think offers technical support

12. awns729

awns729 New Member

try putting the jumpers in a number of positions and see what happens, even try taking them out.

eidt: also what brands the encloseure and are you sure the drive didn't die?

also... the manufactorer might hvae really cool tech support and be willing to help you out w/out even needing very much info on where you purchased it and what not. it might be worht a shot, sometimes you get lucky

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  13. deusexaethera

Alex, did you see what I posted yet? Have you checked the jumpers according to what I said? How did that work out?

14. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can you try the enclosure on another PC?

15. deusexaethera

Can you respond at all, preferably with an update?

16. alex__

alex__ New Member

okay, so tried it on my laptop and still didnt work. I was using vista, and it attempted to automatically install the drivers, but then came up with an error message. The drive was recognised as a USB mass storage device. but it said that windows failed to successfull install driver, please contact manufacturer of device. So, the problem is, the manufacturer is some dodgy chinese joint, where i haave no contact info. its not a name brand case and the HDD was set to master...im thinkin i made a stupid purchase. is there some generic drives i can download or something?

17. alex__

alex__ New Member

windows did the little "search for device drivers online" and determined that it had the best driver already installed for the device. So it hasnt worked on a vista machine, or an XP one.

18. alex__

alex__ New Member

19. deusexaethera

Yeah, I'm gonna say it's defective at this point.

Buy a Vantec NexStar 3 case off Newegg.com.

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm assuming that you are using the adapter that came with it, correct?

When you plug it in, can you feel/hear the drive spool up?

How about what Deus asked you. Did you disconnect the slave/master/cs jumper on the drive itself?

21. alex__

alex__ New Member

Yea i am using the adapter that came with it, and also i have tried the things that the others have mentioned with regards to jumpers.
    what happens is first time i connect the drive, it spools up, then it stops and sais taht it does not recognise the USB drive, and it stops... from then on, everytime i reconnect to a computer, it doenst spool up, it just sais that it does not recognise the drive. I think its just a POS...

22. deusexaethera

Doctor? Doctor? Do you concur?

I concur.