External HDD wont recognize on XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ls1norcal, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Western Digital Mybook 500 gig. It worked when I opened it, kind of. I was getting "delayed write error blah blah" and the contents of the drive would appear to be empty. If i clicked properties, everything was zero.

I plug it into my laptop which is vista, and it sees it just fine. So I decide to reformat the external from FAT32 to NTFS, which it wont do on the XP machine again, but vista does it fine. I decide my XP machine needs a reformat anyways, so I do it. But before that, I copied about 400 gigs of crap from the desktop, via the external connected to my laptop....to the router. It was annoying.

Still wont recognize on the XP machine with a fresh XP install. Running out of ideas here....

2. blackrockbrig

blackrockbrig OT Supporter

did you do all the basic disk management stuff? (right click my computer>click manage>click disk management>initialize the disk...etc?

3. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

It doesnt even show up there. The icon for the drive shows up in my computer, but under freespace, etc its just blank, and when I open it up, theres nothing there.

4. blackrockbrig

blackrockbrig OT Supporter

did you run windows updates after you reinstalled xp?

5. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

blank free space = unrecognized partition. if its new, format it as #2 said

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If there's an icon for it in My Computer, it has to be in Disk Management. Figure out which of the disks it is, delete the partition, create a new partition, and format it.

You can format large disks with NTFS in XP, you just have to turn off "quick removal" in the disk's properties.