External HDD giving me a lot of problems.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pseudonym, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

so i have a 2.5" usb ext hdd that stores all of my music and movies. it has been giving me a lot of problems lately. i was trying to move some of my music over to another external i have. whenever it reaches a certain point in the hard drive, i think it's about after 20.52 gigs, it stops transferring and just stays there at the finder file copy window. whenever i try to cancel the transfer with the x in the window.. it does nothing and the window will sit there until i reboot.

i tried to outsmart my hard drive and move my stuff little chunks at a time, but i still get stuck at a few different parts where i assume there are corrupt sectors in my HDD.. i used disk utility to repair the disk, but it says there is nothing wrong.

any suggestions on how i can fix my disk, or at least move all my stuff off of it so i can reformat it?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

any ideas? this is really bugging me.

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

i'm not exactly sure, and i've been trying to figure that out.. it always gets stuck at 20.52 gigs transferred.. so about half way. i tried transferring little chunks at a time and it would get stuck too.. so there are a few places where there are bad files.

right now i am using Data Rescue II to clone the hard drive onto the one i want. hopefully this will work and solve my problem.