External HDD for Music

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by canadaisintexas, Jan 19, 2007.

1. canadaisintexas

canadaisintexas New Member

Ive got several laptops and desktops all of which have some music on them. Well i decided to delete it all the other day and start over on one computer. It took me 2 days to completely fill my new Macbook's 80GB HDD. My question is can i go get a 300GB or bigger External HDD, plug it in to my router via USB and use the music on Itunes from any computer assuming i set it up as a shared drive?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think the biggest you can get for a laptop right now is 160GB. Maybe you should use Windows so you can use NTFS compression to reduce the size of things like your music and movies, which you don't use often enough for the drop in speed to really matter.

If your router supports sharing a hard drive all by itself, then obviously you can do it. Just let the router format the drive for you.

3. buddha724

buddha724 New Member

that's a good idea. in for answers

i'd think you could set it up as a network device. i'm not sure though, i've never done it. i just bought a 160gig external hdd for the same reason. i got it for $70 too.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What kind of router has a USB port that can share a hard drive?

I'd buy a hard drive enclosure with a network card in it and put that on your network.

5. Chris

Chris New Member

You could do a couple things.

You could do like me and put a large internal drive into a desktop that is plugged into my wireless router and share the entire drive or just the music folder or whatever on your local network and then all of the computers connected to your router can use the files.

or some routers do have a usb port that is suposed to be used as a print server, that might work hooking an external hdd up to.

or some external hdds and some external enclosures have ethernet ports which could be plugged directly into a wireless router.

or just a standard external drive plugged in to any computer on your network can be shared amongst all the computers on your network the same way as an internal drive.

some of these methods are faster than others, but the main thing is where ever the shared drive is needs to be hooked up with an ethernet cord to your router so that way only one leg of the trip has to be wireless to get to your laptop which will greatly improve speeds

6. 7960

7960 New Member

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

8. deusexaethera

9. deusexaethera

1. It doesn't matter what the hard drive format is if you're accessing it over a network; once the data gets chopped into packets, the original disk format doesn't have any effect. With regards to data security, NTFS (WinXP), Ext3 (*nix), or HFS (OSX) all provide journaling capability to keep your data from going away if the power fails.

2. If you want to preload the data onto your drive by plugging it directly into your computer, you can use ext2IFS (do a Google search) to give Windows the ability to access Ext2/Ext3 formatted drives.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks... I'll have to check that out this weekend.