external hdd for media - lookin for utils

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ctrl_alt_del, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ctrl_alt_del

ctrl_alt_del Guest

Hi :wavey:,

just bought a 250gig external maxtor drive. Before the postie delivers it can anyone at OT suggest some apps for me?:x:

I’m gonna be using the drive as an mp3 store and also a few DVD rips for good measure. As well as using it for media I will be using it for work (storing captured video, render storage etc).

So... apps I’m looking for:

-a media player that can be mounted on the drive. In particular one that can store the media library details so I just run it and it knows where everything is. (Can winamp do this?)

-a programme that I can run from the drive and protect (password or hide etc) my work data.

-A messenger programme, I’ve heard about miranda-anyone got anything to say about it? Other suggestions?

-Web browser. Firefox > *, can anyone help me out with info on how to run it from the drive if its possible?

-any other tools you guys have used that you would recommend?

Cheers guys :bigthumb:
  2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Oct 15, 2003
    You can run Firefox off a USB stick, or so I've read... Here, check this link out. http://texturizer.net/firefox/tips.html#oth_usb. It should be the same general idea, as far as keeping your profile and stuff.
  3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Sep 30, 2003
  4. ctrl_alt_del

ctrl_alt_del Guest

cheers guys.checked out the FireFox thing, looks like just the ticket!:bigthumb:
    any ideas on the other stuff?