external hdd for media - lookin for utils

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ctrl_alt_del, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ctrl_alt_del

ctrl_alt_del Guest

Hi :wavey:,

just bought a 250gig external maxtor drive. Before the postie delivers it can anyone at OT suggest some apps for me?:x:

I’m gonna be using the drive as an mp3 store and also a few DVD rips for good measure. As well as using it for media I will be using it for work (storing captured video, render storage etc).

So... apps I’m looking for:

-a media player that can be mounted on the drive. In particular one that can store the media library details so I just run it and it knows where everything is. (Can winamp do this?)

-a programme that I can run from the drive and protect (password or hide etc) my work data.

-A messenger programme, I’ve heard about miranda-anyone got anything to say about it? Other suggestions?

-Web browser. Firefox > *, can anyone help me out with info on how to run it from the drive if its possible?

-any other tools you guys have used that you would recommend?

Cheers guys :bigthumb:

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

You can run Firefox off a USB stick, or so I've read... Here, check this link out. http://texturizer.net/firefox/tips.html#oth_usb. It should be the same general idea, as far as keeping your profile and stuff.

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:cool:

4. ctrl_alt_del

ctrl_alt_del Guest

cheers guys.checked out the FireFox thing, looks like just the ticket!:bigthumb:
    any ideas on the other stuff?