External HD, read/write from Windows?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by clog, Jun 5, 2006.

1. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

I want to get a macbook, then an external HD. Is there a way that both operating systems can read/write to it?

2. clog

anybody? :hsd:

3. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

OSX will read and write to a Windows formatted harddrive. Good luck on transferring some of those files back and forth though. Make sure your Mac is set up to include extensions though. And if you can't find the HD in OSX, go to Applications, Utilities, Disk Utility, click on it, and hit mount. Another reason OSX > XP

4. clog

:bowdown: Thanks forthe help :)

Why do you say good luck? Is it a hit and miss process or what? I was also thinking at just formatting the HD in OS X, then buying a program for windows that reads OS X file system (Mediafour Macdrive). Would this be a better idea?

The reason I am contemplating this is because I already have a huge HD on my desktop PC, so this external will be mainly for the MB. BUT I have some pretty big files that need to be transfered from PC to the external. :hs:

5. clog

I think fat32 partitions can only be ~32GB in size, and files cannot be larger than a certain amount. Besides, I want something like a 300-400GB external...

6. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

I've never had a problem reading a windows drive on a Mac, it's just that some files don't like going back and forth, that's all.