External HD questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Aug 13, 2006.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I thought I saw someone in here talking about networkable external hd's. Maybe jolle but could have been someone else????
    I am thinking of getting an external drive and it would be an added bonus if I can just connect it straight to my network instead of going through a pc. Is that right or am I imagining reading it???

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Check this out: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=377

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

there are 3 ways of doing this

1st is a proper SAN device (google it)
    problem is, they're fucking expensive - but it's the right way of doing it

2nd is a router with a usb port to attach an external hdd, i have a WGT634U from netgear that allows this, but it's awkward to use

3rd is the cheap-ass way out by getting any external network hdd that you can get in chumpusa and the like

this is the WRONG WAY to do it
    1st, they will require drivers and software to be installed on ALL pcs that want access to the device - mac and pc ONLY btw
    2nd, for most of them they will require a the drive(s) to be shared out on one pc so the others can get to it
    3rd, the software and drives used totally and completely suck major donkey dick (i've used several and they all do the same thing with the same problems)
    4th, good luck recovering your data if the drive(s) fail, they use proprietary FAT and even *I* have a hard time getting data back off them

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

The dlink item looks interesting. Not sure about wireless though. I'd certainly rather have wired. Wouldn't it still hae to hook into a host pc and that pc would need to be powered on in order to access the hard drive?
    keleko - I did a quick google searchon SAN device but never saw any prices. From your comment I assume it's more than I want to spend.
    I've already got a router (actually 2 routers and a hub) so I don't want to get another one.
    Your "cheap ass way" is more what I am leaning towards.
    I am confused about you saying software has to be installed on any pc accessing it. I thought it would just show as a removable dive under My Computer. You sure software has to be installed?
    Not really worried about recovering any datta. The real important stuff I can just back up to DVR or make an additional folder on my main machine if it's that important.

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

i looked at it real quick, looks like a router with 2 ports for usb drives
    basically the same as the netgear i mentioned

prices start ~$800 and go up

no, seriously, don't do it.

yes, software will have to be installed on any pc that wants to access it, as well as a driver (or two!)
    after that it will show as a regular drive under "my computer", but will be limited to 100mbit (afaik, there aren't any gigabit of these devices out right now), and will take up to 4 minutes to access after you turn on your pc

ther IS a 4th option though

get a sheap-ass old pc (or even a laptop with usb 2.0 ports), stick some drives in it (external for a laptop), and run a really damn small linux OS to use it as a file sharing device

6. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

yeah... I built a dirt cheap computer (900mhz or something, 256mb ram) and put a couple big hard drives in it to use as my server. I mostly store MP3s, pictures, and docs on there that my family accesses from their own computers. Total investment, including 15" monitor was around $250 and it sits in my server cabinet out of my way.

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I actually already have that, sorta. I have an older AMD 2400+ that I run as a fileserver in a closet running XP pro (I am a linux moron). I access it through my main machine via Remote Desktop. The problem is the mobo is an older epox 8kha+ and the bios only supports < 133 GB. I could always change the mobo out but then I would need to reinstall XP, etc. Just looking for a cheaper/easier way of adding storage that is not on my main machine.

8. fr00t

fr00t New Member

If you just want a network drive, then something like a Buffalo LinkStation would suit your needs. You need to install one piece of software to initially configure the IP address of the device, and after that its all web based. To access the drive on any PC (works with Mac and Linux also) is as simple as right clicking My Computer and going to Map Network Drive. You can manage different shares on the same drive, attach an additional USB drive (or a normal one in an extenal enclosure) for added storage, and even set up an ftp and/or print server to run on the LinkStation.

Also, since the LinkStation runs Linux, if you're feeling adventurous you can update the firmware to Debian(FreeLink) or just open up the full capabilities of the device.

9. keleko

keleko yes, he is

add an ATA card

$30, connect 4 more drives, done

10. 7960

7960 New Member

The big question is what do you want to do with it? If it's going to be for file storage and throughput isn't a huge factor then get a USB and be done. If yoiu're going to be regularly moving BIG files then investigate other options listed above. There's no need to spend 3x the money to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

11. keleko

keleko yes, he is

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=61661428&postcount=9

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

You are looking for a NAS (network attach(ed) storage) device, not a SAN.

Plenty of cheap NAS devices online, wired/wireless, look for NAS on newegg, cnet, pricewatch, google, etc.

You will get what you pay for though, don't expect any fancy features other than typical cifs/nfs/samba file sharing.