External Hard drive space?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cleankutazn, Oct 12, 2007.

1. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

can you use up all 100% of the external usb hd without any problems? Because my defragmentor keeps telling me that i need to keep more available free space. I have 20 gb free out of 200 gb.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. No filesystem tolerates being completely full very well; they all need some slack space to work with.

Besides, if you've got a drive that full, it won't be too much longer before you've got more data than it can hold, so you might as well buy a bigger one now.

3. Lynn

Lynn Yes my wife does and no you can't watch.

How much free space is on your C:\ drive?

From what I am reading you have a 200gb external drive that has 20gb free?

4. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

my c: drive has like 100 something gigs so can i keep the external fully loaded with no problems?

5. bpfx

bpfx .

When you defrag Fat32 or NTFS file systems, it will move the files around in order to reduce the amount of unusable space. In order to do this, the program will need as much free space as possible. With only 20GB free, it has limited options when it wants to move the files around.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Norton Speed Disk is uniformly more effective at defragmenting heavily-fragmented, nearly-full drives than is the Windows Defragmenter. I haven't seen Diskeeper do a very good job either, but that's no surprise, since Diskeeper is the deluxe version of the Windows Defragmenter anyway.