External Hard Drive questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trlc463, Sep 16, 2006.

1. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

Hi all

My friend has about 15GB worth of pictures on a very crappy, slow Windows 98 computer which extremely low on memory and I reccommended that she should buy an external hard drive.

Of course, I went to newegg.com and showed her the latest deals and such, but as some here are professionals who have much experience with computer hardware, I was wondering if someone can throw out a reliable brand name of HD's

I tend to lean toward LACiE because I had one (which in fact I never used because I unpacked it one day, and my house was broken into, in which it along with many other items were stolen as well :wtc:)

Anyhoo, the reason I ask is because I do not want to have her move all of her pictures to this HD, chuck out the computer, and have the HD die later (which I hope is extremely rare)

Can anyone make any good reccommendations? Looking for 40-100 GB range (anywhere between is fine) under 100

Thanks!

Cliffs: Need good external hard drive that wont die thats between 40-100 GB and under 100 bucks :x:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Cheaper to buy an enclosure and then buy the HD.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

fixed, then qft

4. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

:ugh: WD FTL.

5. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

but crappy computer FTL

Segate has externals ? :x:

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Don't trust ANY hard drive with your only copy of something valuable or irreplaceable. I've seen every brand die. Every one. Statistically, some may be more reliable than others, but statistics do you no good when its your drive that dies. If it were me, I'd also burn those pictures to DVD and keep them off-site as a backup. Like others have said, you can get an internal bare drive and an empty enclosure cheaper than buying a ready-made external drive.

7. keleko

keleko yes, he is

you are an idiot

one day you will learn...

8. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

so do you think that buying an external DVD burner would be better?

like I said, she has a really old computer, and really messed up to where XP didnt take well, so they had to revert back to 2000/ME or some crappy version like that

SHe has about 13 GB worth of pictures
    700 MB/CD ~ 19, 473 CD's :eek4:
    4 GB /DVD ~ 4 DVD :hs:

So I guess I should now search for an external DVD burner?

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If she's out of disk space, do both. Use the external drive to store the pictures and free space on her main drive, then back it up on DVD. Internal drives would be cheaper though. If she has a PCI slot open, you can install an IDE card that will let her install and use the whole capacity of a modern drive. Or if you go external, Keep in mind you'll need a USB2.0 card or your speed will be limited to the equivalent of a 4x CD or .5x DVD. I'm not sure Win98 will even do USB2.0 speeds. Better google that. Honestly, Win98 is such an old piece of shit, it really limits what you can do and I haven't tried adding modern hardware like a DVD burner or a massive hard drive to it. I really don't know if it will work at all.

10. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

:hsugh:
    I did learn. I have had 3 WD drives fail, 2 Maxtor's fail and 0 seagates fail. So therefore Seagate > * And 5 year warranty FTW