external hard drive help and suggestions please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigman7903, Nov 11, 2005.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

ok, i'm a techno idiot, i admit it, but i do know that my current computer will not accept another hardrive, i tried - it didnt like it much

so i'm looking at external HD's, but i dont know what brands are any good, when looking at newegg there has to be a dozen or more companies. I know that western digital and maxtor make decent internal ones but i'm not sure about external ones. nor do i know what specs i should look for in an external HD.

i'm looking for at least an 80gig for my music and other large files such as movies and junk. this will probably end up going to college as a helper disc to my laptop when i get one this summer so its got to hold all of my important stuff, i'm close to 30 gigs of music alone

any help you can give me would be great thanks

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

well... what i've seen alot of is a standard internal HD, just put in a external case. they sell empty HD cases everywehre nowadays, that plug into the IDE plug of a HD, then have a plug for USB2.0/Firewire out the other end.

you mentioned trying to add another HD to your current comp... so do you still have that HD? if so, no need to go buy anotehr external drive... just plop that drive in one of those cases... and viola.

i'm not sure how much any of those cases cost... probably between $20 and $50... depending on if you take the time to shop around the internets.

3. eck

eck New Member

Get an HDD that is USB2.0 (only makes a difference if your PC and laptop support USB2.0) and a HDD that has 8MB cache and spins at 7200RPM (or higher).

The 8MB cache isn't necessary, but the more read/write cache you have, the better performance you'll get.

4. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

awesome, i owuld have never thought about something like this, my old lil harddrive is ancient 60 gig 5400 thing from out old comp, if i were going to spend on a case i'm just going to get a larger HD anyhow,

what would you suggest brand wise, WD, Hitachi, Seagate, or Maxtor?

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

WD or Seagate. i've used WD and they have always been great.

i've heard good and bad things about Maxtor... so i tend to stay away (just cuz of the possibility of bad things happening).

to be honest, i have not looked into the price of as-is external drives. you might want to compare the drives sold as external with the cost of what an internal drive + case would be. it may not be worth it to go the route i suggested.... i only suggested it since you mentioned the second HD you tried already. but since that isnt really what you want... just do some comparison shopping before you buy.

:x:

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

What didn't your computer like about another internal drive?

7. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

8. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

I buy my external cases from Directron. Their prices and service are great, even though the site may not look like much. As for hard drives, I've have nothing but good to say about Seagate. They're fast, quiet, reliable and some models have a 5 year warranty. WD is OK, the ones I have are noisier than Seagate but they've been reliable. Every Hitachi/IBM I've owned in the past 6 years has failed (5 or 6 drives, IIRC). Maxtor seems to be OK, I've had a few fail over the years but not what I would consider excessive.

9. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

a case is about 25-30 bucks, and an internal HDD is about 60-120 depending on the size, all dpeends, seems like it would be cheaper this way, thanks

10. Rizzler

Rizzler OTTC #420

Lacie-Porsche FTW

but too expensive for what its worth. :(

Woot! As of today i have 360 GB of space :big grin:

11. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

to tell you the truth i have no idea, its a little cheapo combo deal from compusa that only came w/ one HDD, (compaq btw) and so the wires for the HDD onlt had space for one, i took the cord and the other HDD out of my older compaq that we dont use anymore plugged them in master slave and it wouldnt boot at all, who knows your guess is as good as mine, it intalled perfectly into the sony upstairs :dunno: