external hard drive havent been turned on in 2 months, suddenly dead

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Oct 4, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

my external Seagate 200GB suddenly died. i havent turned it on in 2 months and today it wont spin. the enclosure is some real real cheap Chinese shit that I bought in Beijing. I bought it once, it fucked up just as it is now, got it replaced with a brand new one for free. should learned my lesson and bought a decent enclosure instead :hsd:

i think its dead. the LED turns on, sounds like the HD is starting to spin, but fails, then it kinda goes whhiirrr click clock whiirrr click clock whiirrrr click clock... same thing as last time. neither Windows nor OSX recognizes it. you guys think its dead? i really dont feel opening my desktop and testing it there to find it dead. im about 80% sure that it's dead.

anyone got recommendations for external HDs? ive heard bad things about the WD My Book, but those aren't too expensive.

i think i want a portable HD, one without an AC supply. what do u guys think? recommendations?

thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've got a WD MyBook (only because it was dirt-cheap). Generally I go for making my own, using a good enclosure, and a seagate drive.

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i can do that i suppose. simple enough. what enclosure would you recommend? im gonna be backing up my music and picture files that's over 100 GB. can i do that at once without worrying about heat issues?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

kingwin aluminum is good.

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

is it big? it looks big

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

just spent some time reading reviews on newegg and amazon. seem like there is a LOT of cases of Dead on Arrival Seagates :( now im scared. ive read many WD My Books that die within a year as well. and i just found out that WD is now Seagate's, and maxtor as well. what gives?

wat do u think of this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136078

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't get a MyBook. My friend knocked his off his desk onto 1" carpet while unplugged -- never worked again. External drives need to be more durable than that.

- - -

As for a portable, brick-less external drive, here's a crosslink of what I posted in another thread:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136071

- plus -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392011

Doesn't get more portable than that, and you don't have to whip out a cable when you want to use it at home, either.

If you want to avoid the power brick, you gotta go laptop. Desktop HDDs just suck too much power.

9. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

thanks man. :bigthumb: that looks like a nice enclosure. the only problem is laptop HDs are expensive, and i want a big drive to use as a backup. the 2.5" only goes as high as 250GB yea? that would you recommend then besides My Book for bulky external HDs? what about them LaCies?

for the 2.5" enclosure you linked to, is there a size limit on that? in fact does any enclosure have a size limit in Gigabytes? would that 2.5" enclosure have any problem with heat because of its small size? i need to initially backup about 100 GB of data. can i do that at once without worrying about heat?
    sorry lots of questions haha

wat do u think of this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136078

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  10. deusexaethera

LaCie charges a lot for the brand name and for the Porsche designs they tend to use; I wouldn't bother with them.

If you simply must have a huge drive, I'd go with this case, and whatever drive you want to put in it. It's not immune to being knocked over, but it's just as happy to lay on its side as to stand up, which greatly reduces the chances of it getting knocked over to begin with. The MyBook doesn't "do" sideways very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392003

I use these at work and at home. It's one of the few USB2/FireWire cases that doesn't have problems with the FireWire chipset.

- - -

Still, something to consider is, how much data are you actually going to put on the thing, and if you're just going to store backups, how much space can you save by using a tool that will GZIP every file before it copies it? (ViceVersa Pro by TGRMN does this, it's quite convenient.)

- - -

I've never had any heat issues with Vantec cases. They don't have fans, but the cases are aluminum so they don't trap heat.

11. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

damn thats pretty expensive bro. but ill consider it.
    - - -
    hmmm ive never thought of that. what i usually do is about once a month i sync my music and pictures files, and some other miscellaneous documents onto the backup hard drive using AlwaySync. so i dunno if i want everything GZIP, that would make the Sync-ing fail right?

12. deusexaethera

Let's say you were considering this prebuilt drive:

WD MyBook 500GB USB2.0: $125

If you wanted the same storage capacity and were willing to tighten six screws, you could get this instead:

WD Caviar 500GB IDE: $110
    Vantec USB2/1394 Case: $46

So the DIY combo costs $31 more, and gets you a metal case instead of a plastic one, and the option to use FireWire (which is about 2x as fast as USB2 in real life conditions). And you can use the case for a new drive later on.

If you can't use FireWire, you can go with this instead:

WD Caviar 500GB IDE: $110
    Vantec USB2 Case: $30

This puts you at $15 more than the MyBook, but again you have a metal case instead of a plastic one.

If you have external SATA ports on your computer and you want to use them instead of USB or FireWire, you can get this:

WD Caviar 500GB SATA2: $115
    Vantec USB2/eSATA Case: $31

This bundle comes out to $21 more than the MyBook, has all the same benefits as the other cases, and lets you use a direct SATA connection into your computer so there's no bottleneck anywhere in the setup; effectively, this would run as fast as a built-in hard drive, with the convenience of portability.

- - -

All three of these setups cost a little more, and have distinct advantages over the MyBook of comparable storage capacity.

ViceVersa is a sync program, so you wouldn't need to worry about whether AlwaySync liked what you were doing with your files.

13. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

I can definitely use Firewire, but not Firewire2. still got old Firewire1. its ok tho, speed isnt too much of an issue.

how would you rate WD vs. Seagate? i actually dunno if thats a valid comparison anymore since theyre the same company now. haha

thanks for the breakdown dude. you've been a huuuugeee help.

14. deusexaethera

FireWire 400 is still faster than USB2. I don't think anybody uses FireWire 800 -- they kinda shot themselves in the balls by making the plug different.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you're building your own enclosure, you're a fool to use wd

16. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro I got a few months ago, one of the best purchases I have made.

17. deusexaethera

:dunno: I just grabbed the best-reviewed drives on Newegg. The guy can pick whatever he wants.

18. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

so you're saying Seagate > WD?

19. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I've got a Seagate 300GB in that Vantec enclosure, and it runs stupidly hot. 49C.

Within operating temperatures for Seagate drives, but that's pretty ridiculous.

Ambient temperature in my room is 29C, though :o

20. deusexaethera

For cheap drives, Seagate is definitely best quality. When you get up into the price range of workstation drives, Seagate and WD and Fujitsu are all pretty much neck-and-neck. Hitachi makes some of the best laptop drives around.

21. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok so are you saying that other brands dont run as hot?

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

without question.

23. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

No, just that mine runs hot for whatever reason. It happens :dunno: